News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

A new addition to my CPC collection.

Started by Sidney, 20:25, 06 October 17

Previous topic - Next topic

Sidney

I have been away for a bit (issues) but I haven't forgotten this great forum.  Recently I took a gamble on an Amstrad CPC 464 that looked a little worse for wear on eBay, it cost a grand total of £22 delivered from Northern Ireland and was just the machine- no extras sold as seen with no returns.  For the cash it was too good a deal to turn down.

When it arrived I cleaned it up, plugged it in an it works like a charm (result!!)  the only thing that is an issue is the D key-  its not there,  not to much of an issue in the grand scheme if things, however the key stump does work fine!!

I wonder if anyone here has a spare D key from a machine that is used only for spare parts?  We could come to some arrangement if so (ooh er missus) How easy are keys to fit on the CPC?

Dagger

What type of keyboard, low or high keys?
Life's a bitch. You marry one or two then you die !

Sidney

Hi mate, forgive my ignorance as a relative newcomer to the Cpc scene but I didn't know there were two types of keyboard for the Cpc. I have two Cpc's one is a Scheider the other is an Amstrad with the older style Amstrad logo on it. What should I be looking for to distinguish one from the other?

rpalmer

Sidney,

The two types of keyboard are "AZERTY" or "QWERTY". One if normally French (AZERTY) while QWERTY if English.

Rpalmer

Sidney

RPalmer,  thanks- Both my CPC's are Qwerty keyboards.

Shaun M. Neary

Quote from: Sidney on 10:51, 08 October 17
Hi mate, forgive my ignorance as a relative newcomer to the Cpc scene but I didn't know there were two types of keyboard for the Cpc. I have two Cpc's one is a Scheider the other is an Amstrad with the older style Amstrad logo on it. What should I be looking for to distinguish one from the other?

Basically, earlier models of the CPC464 had a horrible chunky keyboard akin to the C64. Later releases had the more usable spring loaded keyboard that carried on to the plus models (and Amstrad's versions of the Spectrum machines). That's really the easiest way to tell the two apart. More than likely, you have the latter.
Currently playing on: 2xCPC464, 1xCPC6128, 1x464Plus, 1x6128Plus, 2xGX4000. M4 board, ZMem 1MB and still forever playing Bruce Lee.
No cheats, snapshots or emulation. I play my games as they're intended to be played. What about you?

pacomix

Horrible chunky? For me they are much better than the low profile ones...

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

Dagger

Shaun M. Neary

Quote from: pacomix on 15:08, 08 October 17
Horrible chunky? For me they are much better than the low profile ones...

Oh god no. They were a nightmare to type on for me. I started off on a Vic20 and I hated typing on it. When i got my CPC464, the difference was unbelievable.
Horses for courses though...
Currently playing on: 2xCPC464, 1xCPC6128, 1x464Plus, 1x6128Plus, 2xGX4000. M4 board, ZMem 1MB and still forever playing Bruce Lee.
No cheats, snapshots or emulation. I play my games as they're intended to be played. What about you?

LambdaMikel

Quote from: pacomix on 15:08, 08 October 17Horrible chunky? For me they are much better than the low profile ones...

I agree - the 464 original keyboard is by far the best and one of the reasons my (upgraded) 464 is still my most beloved computer.

I dislike the flat springy wobbely 6128 and later 464 / 664 keyboard a lot I must say.

Sidney

So, back to the original a question- I think I have the earlier issue versions of the CPC with both machines I own so I have no other keyoard to compare with so whatever keyboard the 84/85 issue of the CPC had- I reckon I have that too so are there any spare keys floating around? (odd question I know!)

PS the keyboard doesn't look a bit like the c64!

TomEtJerry

Hello,

Older CPC 464 keyboards have keys with rounded edges. Look at the photographie on the welcome page on this website :

http://www.sean.co.uk/books/amstrad/

Most of 464 then have keys with "sharp" edges. The plastic quality is poor too :-(.

https://cpcrulez.fr/hardware-464-cpc_464_SVM.htm

If that does not help, you, just post a picture of your keyboard.

Dagger

I did post a photograph for you earlier as I have spares. Just needed to know which one you wanted as now it says I have to upgrade my account so the photo's can no longer be viewed. Send me a message

Sidney