News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Cloning DDI-1, need to borrow one

Started by plazma, 07:09, 15 July 13

Previous topic - Next topic

plazma

DDI-1 units are hard to get and climb to crazy prices in eBay.

The device is quite simple and easily cloned in board level.

I would like to borrow one DDI-1 for cloning. I will pay shipping and the lender will get the unit back after 2 weeks (+time for shipping). The lender will also receive one cloned assembled PCB. Receiving the assembled PCB will take at least two months. Total time depends on my free time (fixing house atm.).

If you are interested in borrowing me one DDI-1 unit and receiving one assembled PCB as compensation, please PM me.

Notice that I have to disassemble the unit for cloning. I am however an experienced electronics engineer and design phones and tablets for work. In my free time I fix & modify consoles and smartphones.

Pentagon

Hello,

i have a brandnew, never used and still sealed DDI-I Controller in a polybag. If i can help you with it, i will trust you and send you this rare piece of my collection. Its in full working condition and really brandnew.

So if you like to borrow please contact me in PN i will give you my Email Adress then.

Hope i could help
kindly regards
Tom

Bryce

The schematic is available in the Wiki. why don't you just transscribe it into Eagle / OrCAD or whatever and make your own layout?

Bryce.

plazma

Quote from: Pentagon on 07:55, 15 July 13
Hello,

i have a brandnew, never used and still sealed DDI-I Controller in a polybag. If i can help you with it, i will trust you and send you this rare piece of my collection. Its in full working condition and really brandnew.

So if you like to borrow please contact me in PN i will give you my Email Adress then.

Hope i could help
kindly regards
Tom

PM sent.

plazma

Quote from: Bryce on 08:23, 15 July 13
The schematic is available in the Wiki. why don't you just transscribe it into Eagle / OrCAD or whatever and make your own layout?

Bryce.

I noticed that. I want to clone the pcb so it's a direct replacement for the original one.
I will make a layout in Eagle and having an original at hand makes it faster.

I'll probably make a batch of 12 at first. 1 for me and 1 for the lender. 10 will be available for others to purchase as a kit.

plazma

Pentagon is nicely lending me one. I'll keep this thread updated about the project. I'll inform when any extra clones are available.

fano

Nice idea , there is long time i wanted to see this coming , too late for me as i got my DDI-1 but i am still interested if it is powered with something else than the FD-1 itself to use hxc on my 464  ;D
"NOP" is the perfect program : short , fast and (known) bug free

Follow Easter Egg products on Facebook !

plazma

There are some ideas to add extra features like dual ROM (AMDOS+Parados), ABBA switch, pinheaders for cables etc.
Powering HxC via the DDI-1 clone is also one feature I will add.

Bryce

I had been working on a similar solution, with 34 and 26way header, Ready switch, ABBA switch, side switch etc, but mine is based on the FDC9266, not the µPD765.
It got shelved (for now) due to lack of time.

Bryce.

plazma

Quote from: Bryce on 14:23, 15 July 13
I had been working on a similar solution, with 34 and 26way header, Ready switch, ABBA switch, side switch etc, but mine is based on the FDC9266, not the µPD765.
It got shelved (for now) due to lack of time.

Bryce.

What is the function of ready switch and side switch?

Bryce

The side switch allows you to use both sides of a 3.5in disk. The ready switch is to allow you to use disk drives that don't provide the ready signal when a disk is inserted.

Bryce.

mr_lou

Why make a clone? Why not try to make it smaller, and then bundle it with a HxC. I mean so that DDI and HxC is inside the same box. Just plug one unit in the back of the CPC464, and you can load from SD cards.  :)

Bryce

That's why I chose the FDC9266. It's 100% µPD765 compatible (so AMSDOS / ParaDOS etc supports it) and the data separator is integrated, which saves quite a few extra components and a fair bit of PCB space too. Even with the extra switches and headers, it should be possible to get it down to half the size of the original or the same size as a HxC PCB.

Bryce.

plazma

Smaller layout is possible. It is more about how much time I have for this. Layout copy and small add-ons is quite fast. I have a CPC 464 waiting for getting played :)

Gryzor

Declaring interest in one (also have one to send if necessary) :) But yeah, I think size is important...

Pentagon

QuoteBut yeah, I think size is important...

Sure, that's what the girls want....  ;D ;D ;D

Cheers
Tom

plazma

Two more easily added features would be reset and pause.

IanS

If you are starting a list of people interested in one of the 10 kits. Put me down for one.

Thanks.

mr_lou

Let me know when someone makes a DDI+HxC in one (small) device for the CPC464.  :)

TCMSLP

Hi - just wondering if there's any news on this?   Seems like a fantastic project - and one which I'd happily purchase / contribute towards.

plazma

I have taken enough pictures and measures of the disassembled unit. Still need to read the ROM and then send it back. I'll make the new schematic and layout in the next few months.

MacDeath

http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=34143&p=312164

Can't a Raspberry/Arduino/whatever be used to emulate a freaking Floppy AND FDC and all ?

on a 464, the FDC is external, all is connected to extention port if I remember well.

Bryce

Yes, but it's a complete overkill solution. If you are going to use a Pi, then you don't need the CPC either, you can emulate it in the Pi too! :D

Bryce.

redbox

Quote from: Bryce on 08:40, 21 August 13
Yes, but it's a complete overkill solution. If you are going to use a Pi, then you don't need the CPC either, you can emulate it in the Pi too! :D

But the Pi is very cheap, widely available and also includes nice things like ethernet and USB sockets.

So if you could make something that is a couple of "ICs and resistors" and plug it into the Pi, I think it would be a great solution.

TotO

Looking the circuit made by the guy who done the Pi FDC emulator, I thing that is not more difficult to add a real FDC on the CPC instead.

"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)