News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

CPC 6128 drive belt size.

Started by magentis, 11:49, 02 June 15

Previous topic - Next topic

magentis

Would anyone happen to know the belt size dimensions for a 6128 drive?
I have tried searching the forum but can't find it anywhere.

Bryce

I can measure one if you like, but if you need some just grad some from one of the ebay sellers.

Bryce.

Dizrythmia

Are the drive belts the same as those used in a Nintendo Famicom disc drive?

Both the Amstrad & Nintendo machines use 3" drives. I believe some obscure Sega computers also use these, though I haven't physically seen one.

When I think about it, I imagine hooking up a Famicom disc drive to a CPC would be pretty simple if they are the same drive.

robcfg

It may be a nice experiment, but you'll have to rewrite the disk access routines as the famicom drive is more like a tape instead of a disk. It stores data libearly in a spiral rather than in tracks and sectors...

Dizrythmia

Interesting, but I don't have the technical know how for that. Still, it's handy to know. Thanks :)

magentis

I was trying to pick one up locally,but it looks like i will have to go the ebay route!

Bryce

Quote from: magentis on 23:47, 02 June 15
I was trying to pick one up locally,but it looks like i will have to go the ebay route!

It's not a common part that was used on anything else more popular, so finding one locally is highly unlikely.

Bryce.

magentis

Quote from: Bryce on 08:42, 03 June 15
It's not a common part that was used on anything else more popular, so finding one locally is highly unlikely.

Bryce.

Thanks Bryce.
I must message you about my ill computers.
I have a 6128 and another 464 on the way to me,condition unknown.
Im assuming it will need a belt and was hoping to get one from radionics here in Dublin,fingers crossed thats all it needs!

Bryce

I doubt radionics will have that part and don't even bother asking in Maplins (They probably wouldn't understand the question anyway :D). Back in the good old days of "Peats of Parnell street" you may have had a chance :)

Let me know about the other machines though.

Bryce.

magentis

Quote from: Bryce on 10:38, 03 June 15
I doubt radionics will have that part and don't even bother asking in Maplins (They probably wouldn't understand the question anyway :D ). Back in the good old days of "Peats of Parnell street" you may have had a chance :)

Let me know about the other machines though.

Bryce.

Cheers Bryce,thanks again.

tomek_c

I have ordered a belt of following size:

222.9mm * 2,8mm * 0,6mm (length, width, thickness).

and apparently is working correctly. It was determined by series of google queries by fellows from Polish speccy.pl forum.
It is sold as "König 7092" (as found here Laufwerksriemen wechseln | The Amstrad CPC news portal)

Good luck!

ZbyniuR

@Dizrythmia - Nintendo Famicom use 3" disk, but  different shape of case.
http://www.nesworld.com/article.php?system=nes&data=neshardware_fds
http://famicomworld.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/drive_open.jpg

I don't think it fits for CPC.
In STARS, TREK is better than WARS.

Dizrythmia

I know that. It doesn't fit because Nintendo put their usual spin on it by creating a non standard case for the disc with the Nintendo logo towards the bottom near the write protect area. I've taken pics of them side by side before (for a stage quiz show I run) & the Nintendo disc is slightly bigger

TFM

TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus