News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

CPC464 Green screening

Started by ArvaVolente, 21:41, 07 September 13

Previous topic - Next topic

ArvaVolente

Hey all,

I'm a major n00b here. But I was raiding (cleaning) my parents attic for them and found my older brother's CPC464. I took it down, hooked it up and played me a shed load of "Oh Mummy" and "Galactic Plague". Was brilliant.

But unfortunately, the next day I turned it on again and got a green screen. Sometimes it would appear to turn on with lines on it. But mostly green.

Any help would be great. I would love to get this up and running again and using it.

Dermot.

Bryce

Need a bit more info:

- What's it connected to? Is it a green monitor by any chance? Or is it green on a coloured monitor?

- Is it showing a border, or just plain green on the entire screen?

Bryce.

Gryzor

Welcome! Hope you get it sorted out - the questions Bryce asked are the logical ones to start with...

ArvaVolente

Quote from: Bryce on 22:08, 07 September 13
Need a bit more info:

- What's it connected to? Is it a green monitor by any chance? Or is it green on a coloured monitor?

- Is it showing a border, or just plain green on the entire screen?

Bryce.

Sorry, yes, it's a green monitor and it shows either a blank screen or a kind of streaky random screen as if it is trying to boot up but the screen hasn't loaded properly.

Bryce

Ok. My first suggestion would be to clean the contacts of the power switch in the CPC.

A picture of the "streaky random screen" might help with further diagnosis.

Bryce.

ArvaVolente

Sorry about the tardiness of the reply. I had the computer at my homeplace and didn't get there until the weekend just past.

I cleaned the connections like suggested but no difference.

Here are samples of the "streaky" behaviour:
[attach=3][attach=4][attach=5]

Thanks again for your time and patience.

Bryce

Ok. Can you tell us which version PCB you have. It should be a number with MC..... printed on the upper side of the main PCB. Or just take a photo of the PCB and post that. I would guess it's the cost-down version with a broken ASIC, if so you may be out of luck.

Bryce.

TFM

Hi and welcome!

Looks like a fried ULA (check if it is the old one with metal cooling).
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

steve

If faulty ULAs are a significant problem, then maybe when an FPGA CPC replacement is published, part of the design could be used to make a ULA replacement, with some plus features even.

Bryce

Better if it could fit in a CPLD, then it could be a plug-in replacement.

Bryce.