News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Gotek USB in a CPC6128

Started by Gryzor, 17:01, 18 March 14

Previous topic - Next topic

a7mag3ddon

As I'm using it on amstrad ibonly need disk support, and i can wait a while. Already converted my collection to HFE I was merely wondering that was all. Its no biggie :-)

Beaps

Quote from: a7mag3ddon on 07:24, 12 May 15
I also did a cool microsd internal memory mod to mine, you can access the card by plugging in a USB to USB in the front to a PC to gain access for adding games and future updates ;-)

Where did you get the internal microsd pcb from buddy?

pelrun

That would have just been pulled out of a standard small micro-sd to usb adapter, and then the usb connector removed.

a7mag3ddon

Yes that's correct, nothing fancy there. Desolder usb socket and wire. SD card is then accessible by using USB to USB cable in front of gotek to PC.

a7mag3ddon

Does the gotek work on the zx spectrum +3 with this firmware? i know i shouldnt ask in a cpc forum but i will :-)

robcfg

In theory it should, they are identical disk-wise.

a7mag3ddon

But the amstrad uses a filebrowser to select the disks to mount.

CraigsBar

Quote from: a7mag3ddon on 22:41, 02 June 15
But the amstrad uses a filebrowser to select the disks to mount.
which is not mandatory. If you just copy your HFE files onto the SD card without using the specific CPC cfg file, then the scroll buttons just scroll through the files rather than the 15 disc slots. I prefer the 15 slots approach but the file list way works too.
IRC:  #Retro4All on Freenode

a7mag3ddon

Ahh I see. But I have every amstrad disk available on the SD so the filebrowser works quite well.

CraigsBar

Quote from: a7mag3ddon on 22:59, 02 June 15
Ahh I see. But I have every amstrad disk available on the SD so the filebrowser works quite well.
indeed, and with the hxc ROM installed in the symbiface or xmem what could be simpler than
|hxc
IRC:  #Retro4All on Freenode

Jeff_HxC2001

KaosOverride

http://www.micro-examples.com/public/microex-navig/doc/081-pic-osd-superimposer.html
If a simple PIC12 can do this OSD trick, then a better PIC can emulate the text display from the Gotek, and be used internally into the CPC and add some text to the video DIN connector.

Will be funny to push the Gotek buttons and read the disc filename at the bottom of the screen. And you can have the text at the colour where you attach the video line, red, green or blue. Or "green" if you attach at luminance for monocrome monitors.
KaosOverride · GitHub
MEGA Amstrad Public Amstrad folder

Bryce

That's not a very robust design Jeff!! Having a Parrot hold the wires together is neither good practice, nor advisable. I'd rethink that aspect of the design if I were you. :D

Bryce.

P.s. If I decide to make one of these myself, would a Budgie also work or is it not 100% compatible?

a7mag3ddon

Yrouel

Here's mine with the 464 after some troubleshooting with the awesome Jeff who provided me a working firmware for my particular I2C board and my eureka moment with the address lines:

dirtybb

a7mag3ddon

Can I ask a dumb question, why is a display needed when the filebrowser supports long filenames?

Yrouel

Quote from: a7mag3ddon on 11:40, 08 June 15
Can I ask a dumb question, why is a display needed when the filebrowser supports long filenames?

The file browser/selector is used to pick the images to insert in the slots, after that you have to rely on the front buttons to change slot and virtually insert the chosen floppy. Having a display makes this part easier and with an LCD you have a bit more infos like the track reading progress so for example you can tell if the game is actually doing something or if it's frozen.

a7mag3ddon

There are only 14 slots available to use and the green LED flashes whilst loading, of course you can always add a magnetic buzzer to emulate loading noise as well.  Only uses 3 parts.

a7mag3ddon

How much is the display?

pelrun

Only a few bucks from china on ebay; search for "16x2 lcd i2c".

Yrouel

I got my LCD from a copier/laser printer I took apart some time ago and I just bought the I2C adapter board from ebay. In the release notes of the HxC firmware you can find some links to compatible LCDs/boards http://hxc2001.com/download/floppy_drive_emulator/USB_HFE_hxc_floppy_emulator_firmware_release_notes.txt

a7mag3ddon

Ahh cool in case could be an interesting mod. I'm just going to stuck with the audio emulation... For now ;-)

Beaps

Ok I got the Gotek running sweet on my 6128 but with the new firmware I trying to hook up a LED screen, has anyone managed this yet?

Beaps

I don't understand where & why the 4.7k oms resisters are used. I can get it to light up but it doesn't display any text