News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

GX4000 Scart Output Vs Monitor Din Output to Scart

Started by overange, 00:08, 02 April 24

Previous topic - Next topic

overange

What is the general thoughts and if any one has tried it, the quality differences between the GX4000s Scart RGB output Vs its RGB Output via the Video Din output? 

both going into the TV via its Scart RGB input.

Current Usable Collection = 800XL / XE Remake / 1100 Drive / Sinclair ZX Spectrum 48k ( Rubber Key ) / Sinclair ZX Spectrum Harliquin 128k ( Rubber Key ) / Amstrad CPC6128 Plus / Amstrad GX4000 / Sega Master System / Sega Mega Drive / Nintendo DMG-01 Gameboy / Amiga CD32 / AMSTRAD MEGAPC 386SX and possibly the UKs largest Collection of Competition Pro Joysticks, so far 40 different variations and always looking for more

Cwiiis

On mine, the output via the SCART port is awful - very blurry... The output via the monitor out to SCART is great, almost as good as the Plus 6128 (a little noisier but I presume that varies machine to machine and perhaps is affected by the different internal layout). Only shame is that some screens won't switch to RGB properly from just the monitor out, but works fine most of the time.

I'd be interested if there were any internal mods that would improve the quality of the SCART output, I do wonder why it's as bad as it is...

overange

Thanks for that, I will get a CPC Plus Monitor cable and try it :)

Looking at the schematic, the GX4000 Scart and RF output does go through an RGB encoder ( ic101 ) CXA1145 if there is any extra noise I would say that could be where it is coming from, one option could be to remove the following capacitors C113, c114, c115, c116 and c101 that are connected to the RGB, Sound and NSYNC ( BYE BYE BYE ).

Such a shame we do not have a replacement for the ASIC, because if the Scart and RF parts of the circuit is totally removed you could have a very compact little GX4000 console???

Current Usable Collection = 800XL / XE Remake / 1100 Drive / Sinclair ZX Spectrum 48k ( Rubber Key ) / Sinclair ZX Spectrum Harliquin 128k ( Rubber Key ) / Amstrad CPC6128 Plus / Amstrad GX4000 / Sega Master System / Sega Mega Drive / Nintendo DMG-01 Gameboy / Amiga CD32 / AMSTRAD MEGAPC 386SX and possibly the UKs largest Collection of Competition Pro Joysticks, so far 40 different variations and always looking for more

overange

Quote from: Cwiiis on 00:06, 03 April 24On mine, the output via the SCART port is awful - very blurry... The output via the monitor out to SCART is great, almost as good as the Plus 6128 (a little noisier but I presume that varies machine to machine and perhaps is affected by the different internal layout). Only shame is that some screens won't switch to RGB properly from just the monitor out, but works fine most of the time.

I'd be interested if there were any internal mods that would improve the quality of the SCART output, I do wonder why it's as bad as it is...
I just received the CPC6128 / 646  Plus Video 8 pin din to Scart Cable, and wow what a difference, it really does pop in colour and sharpness compared to the Scart output.

Firstly, you have to use a 5V DC power adapter as using the 12VDC power causes the display to go dark.

dodogildo

Quote from: overange on 10:57, 06 April 24just received the CPC6128 / 646  Plus Video 8 pin din to Scart Cable, and wow what a difference, it really does pop in colour and sharpness compared to the Scart output

Can you share the link to buy one?
M'enfin!

overange

Quote from: dodogildo on 11:48, 06 April 24
Quote from: overange on 10:57, 06 April 24just received the CPC6128 / 646  Plus Video 8 pin din to Scart Cable, and wow what a difference, it really does pop in colour and sharpness compared to the Scart output

Can you share the link to buy one?
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/320957979178

not sure if they ship worldwide?

dodogildo

M'enfin!

genesis8

Sadly Cool-Novelties don't ship to France... :(

dodogildo

Quote from: genesis8 on 12:36, 06 April 24Sadly Cool-Novelties don't ship to France... :(
Did you try to contact them? Sometimes I find an item on eBay lacking shipping options to my country and the sellers easily fix it when asked 99% of times.
M'enfin!

genesis8

Good idea, I just wrote them. Thanks.