News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Heeelp! Problem with Gotek on Amstrad CPC 6128.

Started by Groosz, 20:39, 22 November 23

Previous topic - Next topic

Groosz

Hello.  I really need your help as experienced Amstrad users.  I have an Amstrad CPC 6128. I bought a Gotek OLED operating in flashfloppy mode, version 3.41.  I place two configuration files, FF.cfg and IMG.cfg, and several game files in the DSK format on the USB drive.  After selecting it on the display, the file is loaded.  The text T:00.0 is displayed.  But when I try to load the disk directory on my computer, the following message appears:
Drive A: disc missing.  Retry, Ignore or Cancel?
The jumper is placed in position S0.  What am I doing wrong?  Do the FF.cfg and IMG.cfg files need to be properly adapted to the Amstrad CPC 6128?  Could someone provide me with such customized files for the Amstrad CPC 6128?

Groosz

Gotek is mounted as an internal drive. The jumper is in the S0 position. Gotek has an AT32F415 chip

SerErris

That is most likely not a good gotek for a CPC:

From flashfloppy wiki:
Artery AT32F415
Starting Spring 2021, the STM32F105 microcontroller previously used has been replaced with Artery AT32F415 due to cost and availability. The major disadvantage of this chip is its tiny 32kB SRAM which makes it difficult to reliably support some operations, such as track formatting, and writing to high-density HFE images. Reliability of these operations will depend on USB stick performance. Due to this limitation, I highly recommend the latest enhanced model with AT32F435 MCU for new purchases!

But as keith only writes about formatting or writing operations (HFE images), you should still be able to read.

For a starter I would remove the img.cfg (not needed for .dsk files). 

Can you also please upload your ff.cfg file? 
Proud owner of 2 Schneider CPC 464, 1 Schneider CPC 6128, GT65 and lots of books
Still learning all the details on how things work.

lmimmfn

Are you using the geek as an internal or external floppy? I ask because I had the same issue when using it as an external floppy but got it sorted.
6128 for the win!!!

Groosz

Hello. Thank you very much for your response. I tried several configurations of ff.cfg files. I am attaching them in the link below. DSK files do not load on any of them. There is always the same message: Drive A: disc missing. Retry, Ignore or Cancel? Does this mean that my Gotek cannot be connected to Amstrad? In Poland, few people have Amstrads with Gotek and no one can help me. I will be very grateful for your help - I can even pay for it or return the favor with some gadget from the Polish retro market. I have another Gotek with an ARMz STM32F105 chip, will it be better? Unfortunately, this goth works in HxC mode. Thank you once again and I am waiting for your reply.

http://ftp.server946487.nazwa.pl/ff.xip

Groosz

Quote from: SerErris on 01:16, 23 November 23That is most likely not a good gotek for a CPC:
From flashfloppy wiki:
Artery AT32F415
Starting Spring 2021, the STM32F105 microcontroller previously used has been replaced with Artery AT32F415 due to cost and availability. The major disadvantage of this chip is its tiny 32kB SRAM which makes it difficult to reliably support some operations, such as track formatting, and writing to high-density HFE images. Reliability of these operations will depend on USB stick performance. Due to this limitation, I highly recommend the latest enhanced model with AT32F435 MCU for new purchases!
But as keith only writes about formatting or writing operations (HFE images), you should still be able to read.
Hello. Thank you very much for your response. I tried several configurations of ff.cfg files. I am attaching them in the link below. DSK files do not load on any of them. There is always the same message: Drive A: disc missing. Retry, Ignore or Cancel? Does this mean that my Gotek cannot be connected to Amstrad? In Poland, few people have Amstrads with Gotek and no one can help me. I will be very grateful for your help - I can even pay for it or return the favor with some gadget from the Polish retro market. I have another Gotek with an ARMz STM32F105 chip, will it be better? Unfortunately, this goth works in HxC mode. Thank you once again and I am waiting for your reply.

Groosz

Quote from: SerErris on 01:16, 23 November 23That is most likely not a good gotek for a CPC:
From flashfloppy wiki:
Artery AT32F415
Starting Spring 2021, the STM32F105 microcontroller previously used has been replaced with Artery AT32F415 due to cost and availability. The major disadvantage of this chip is its tiny 32kB SRAM which makes it difficult to reliably support some operations, such as track formatting, and writing to high-density HFE images. Reliability of these operations will depend on USB stick performance. Due to this limitation, I highly recommend the latest enhanced model with AT32F435 MCU for new purchases!

Groosz

Quote from: lmimmfn on 03:27, 23 November 23Are you using the geek as an internal or external floppy? I ask because I had the same issue when using it as an external floppy but got it sorted.
Thank you for your answer. As I wrote, I connect the gotek drive first (internal drive). I don't have a splitter to connect it to the floppy drive and I don't know if it would make a difference? I tested Gotek on two Amstrad CPC 6128s and the problem is the same on both. The Gotek itself is also functional, so it's definitely the configuration or compatibility of the device. As I wrote earlier, I am ready to repay the help. Regards,

Groosz

Is it true that it may be an issue with the dsk files themselves? It's true that I tested many files and none of them work, but maybe you can provide a link to files that should definitely work?

eto

So far I had no issues with AT32F415 based models with a 6128. And it's also no problem to use it internally with a CPC6128. 

My first suspect would be the adapter between the 34pin Gotek and the 26pin Amstrad cable. Did you make that yourself or did you buy an adapter? Do you have a picture of that adapter? (btw: please upload pictures here and not on some external server)

Groosz

Quote from: eto on 18:35, 23 November 23So far I had no issues with AT32F415 based models with a 6128. And it's also no problem to use it internally with a CPC6128.

My first suspect would be the adapter between the 34pin Gotek and the 26pin Amstrad cable. Did you make that yourself or did you buy an adapter? Do you have a picture of that adapter? (btw: please upload pictures here and not on some external server)
I bought the adapter together with Gotek. I connect it as in the photos. I also connect the power adapter, where there is only 5V voltage and ground. Is this correct?

https://1drv.ms/f/s!ArULMPQ_Q954gv8e9k20H-JPZppUGQ

eto

Quote from: Groosz on 19:04, 23 November 23
Quote from: eto on 18:35, 23 November 23So far I had no issues with AT32F415 based models with a 6128. And it's also no problem to use it internally with a CPC6128.

I bought the adapter together with Gotek. I connect it as in the photos. I also connect the power adapter, where there is only 5V voltage and ground. Is this correct?

https://1drv.ms/f/s!ArULMPQ_Q954gv8e9k20H-JPZppUGQ

I cannot see those photos as they are behind your MS account. 

Please upload the photos to this forum as an attachment to your answer. If you can't see the "attach" functionality click first on "preview" and then you will have the full feature set available and can upload pictures). 

lmimmfn

Quote from: Groosz on 10:17, 23 November 23
Quote from: lmimmfn on 03:27, 23 November 23Are you using the geek as an internal or external floppy? I ask because I had the same issue when using it as an external floppy but got it sorted.
Thank you for your answer. As I wrote, I connect the gotek drive first (internal drive). I don't have a splitter to connect it to the floppy drive and I don't know if it would make a difference? I tested Gotek on two Amstrad CPC 6128s and the problem is the same on both. The Gotek itself is also functional, so it's definitely the configuration or compatibility of the device. As I wrote earlier, I am ready to repay the help. Regards,

I thought i had mine as external but checked my old thread on it and its internal(didnt have access to it earlier when i posted), dont know if it helps but the jumper on mine was set incorrectly even though i ordered with Amstrad setup/internal - https://www.cpcwiki.eu/forum/amstrad-cpc-hardware/so-i-got-a-gotek-how-does-it-work/
6128 for the win!!!

St-BeidE(DE/GB)

So... I will get my gotek within this week.
Bad thing you had/have problens with it.
Good thing is... I'm prepared now.
Maybe we figure out together how to make it work.

Will tell my experience here...

Steven