Hello I'm new - restoring old Amstrad CPC464 - Need a new counter!!

Started by lynwen, 17:56, 21 January 13

Previous topic - Next topic

lynwen

Quote from: Gryzor on 11:30, 22 January 13
You can even try warming it up; heat up some water and place it for a few minutes, see if it's easier to move...
NYYYAAAH! You are amazing  8)  used some warm water and twizzled gently its now back in the machine and it works!!!
Thanks for all the replies  ;D

lynwen

oh gosh I am awful at this, there is a 2nd page I had totally missed!!!
Youre all so kind!
Thank you so much of the offer of your counter Munchausen thats very kind of you, I see someone else has asked for it and being as mine now works I dont need it but thank you so much for the offer  :-*
Quote from: Munchausen on 18:21, 24 January 13
However, the tape counter is present and you can have it if you want it and don't get yours fixed - though I don't know if it works. PM me and I'll post it to you.

Now I can actually use tapes with multiple games on !

00WReX

The CPC in Australia...
Awa - CPCWiki

lynwen

Damn bloody counter broke again  >:(

This time I have ripped the actual counter itself to bits, removed the offending component, which is all metal, and soaked in wd40 - it appears to be covered in rust

beaker

Quote from: lynwen on 18:47, 27 January 13
This time I have ripped the actual counter itself to bits, removed the offending component, which is all metal, and soaked in wd40 - it appears to be covered in rust

Ah, an Irish model  :laugh: Our lovely wet weather gets into everything for that authentic rusted look  ;) You know it's like brass antiques, if you clean it you devalue it...  :D

Gryzor

WD40 will do the job in this case, assuming it hasn't completely turned into rust and it's only on the surface... But, wait, didn't you find one (or am I confusing threads)?

lynwen

Quote from: Gryzor on 08:23, 28 January 13
But, wait, didn't you find one (or am I confusing threads)?

Someone offered however I fixed the problem so I believe someone else wanted the counter?

Well, it WAS fixed, its starting to play up again. Had it out again to look at and it appears that the tiny cogs are misbehaving even after greasing with vassaline. The left number roll doesn't line up correctly even after resetting and sometimes refuses to rotate.

Oh and the last time I tried to fix it the power LED wires snapped off. Need to strip them and re solder onto the pcb but need to check where they need soldering to.

Not sure I even own a soldering iron since we moved house

Im not happy to put it on ebay until it is fully working, it would only pee someone else off that the counter misbehaves

Gah  :(

Gryzor

So, full circle, 101 messages later you're asking for the exact same thing you came here for! Here's a Like for you  ;)

lynwen

I'm such a scatter brain.

Oh, and that dirty cpc I was cleaning.... decided to practice on it and put vassaline on the cogs, now the tape deck wont work!

doh.

Bryce

lynwen

I'll do anoher one of my a amazing videos haha

Typing. On my phone fat finger syndrome

Gryzor

She probably means that vazeline is so thick it won't turn because of it?Kind of extreme though, I don't think it's so thick as to do that...