News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

internal cable from 6128 floppy

Started by Ynot.zer0, 19:24, 02 August 10

Previous topic - Next topic

Ynot.zer0

Does anyone have a parts list (from RS components or similar?) for me to be able to make an internal cable like this:
http://www.cpcwiki.eu/index.php/File:SDTut16.JPG
I'm having trouble locating the correct header connector to plug into the existing internal 26pin connector that I'll then connect to the 34pin connector on the HxC SD Card floppy emulator. (My local Maplin store was of no use and I'm getting very lost inside the RSComponents website as I'm not 100% sure what the name of the item is that I'm looking for!)

In the article it states: "You can find the instructions to do that on the spanish CPC sites or use this picture"
All I have been able to find is what I already have, a cable that connects to the external flat edge connector on the CPC.  What I'm looking for the parts so that I can replace the internal 3" drive with the HxC SD Card floppy emulator.

Any help / guidance greatly appreciated!

Bryce

Hi ynot.zer0,
         the RS Catalogue is notoriously crap, due to lack of pictures and info. If you don't know exactly what you want, then you're out of luck. Maplin doesn't seem to stock these parts, but here's some info which may help you:

The 26way cable mounted socket in the picture is a : DC 26 M 0102 G 00 0
In the Reichelt Catalogue (German: www.reichelt.de), it's called: WSL 26SK

The 34way cable mounted plug is a : IDC1 - 34 0102 - L
Reichelt Catalogue No. : PFL 34

Maybe that will narrow your search?

Bryce.

Ynot.zer0

Cheers Bryce!

I've managed to get a friend who lives in Germany to order me those parts (as there is a minimum of 150 Euro spend to be able to ship to the UK!).  When the parts arrive I'll get to making myself a cable.

I had a look through DigiKey website also (and catalogue) and I still couldn't find these exact items, I see some that I 'think' are close, but not sure about ordering them on the gamble that they are not quite right. So, thanks again for the details, very much appreciated.

Ynot.zer0

can anyone point me to the internal 3" 6128 disc drive pin outs?  I see a lot for the external Drive B connector (flat edge) but cannot get find a reliable internal pinout diagram of the 26 pin connector?

EDIT: Managed to find this on a schematic.. (see attached file) but it's not too clear - or I'm getting old and my eyesight is not too good nowdays  ???

Ynot.zer0

So, after a week of investigation and trial and error, I finally figured out how to connect the internal 3" disc drive cable to the SDCard.  As you can see this is a temporary setup (crocodile clips were for testing!).  I'll be creating myself a proper cable in a few days (when parts arrive from Germany).  As you can see in image 609, the pins from the 26 cable to the 34 cable are laid out like so.  I was able to perform a 'cat' and 'run disc' for a compilation DSK.  I then ran 'Attack of the killer tomatoes', which ran perfectly fine!

yay!  now, I can look at replacing the intermittent / faulty 3" disc drive with the SDCard on a permanent basis in my CPC 6128.

Gryzor

Jince job, mate... looks like something out of a Lovecraft book, but nice :D

Bryce

A fine piece of crocodile-clippery there ynot.zer0, be careful you don't short anything and fry either the CPC or your newly-acquired Floppy emulator.

If you have confirmed the pinout, could you add it to this page http://www.cpcwiki.eu/index.php/HxC_SDCard_Internal (in table form obviously, not the picture) if you have time? This would complete the information needed.

Bryce.