News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Limited batch of new S-Video Adapters.

Started by Bryce, 19:54, 03 April 13

Previous topic - Next topic

chinnyhill10

Quote from: Bryce on 17:53, 21 February 15

@Chinnyhill: If I come up with a hack I'll send you one for testing.

Bryce.

That's good of you. It would be gratefully received. I've managed to get the Master System and SNES playing nicely but the Speccy still eludes me so I'm stuck with my 48k (and as you may have noticed I have a issue 4s with all that lovely PAL dot crawl!).
--
ChinnyVision - Reviews Of Classic Games Using Original Hardware
chinnyhill10 - YouTube

Munchausen

I know this thread is old, but seeing up here now I wanted to ask - Bryce, have you got any more S-Video adapters left? I could use one for a project...

EDIT:
I noticed that talrek made some, hopefully he has one left :)

ralferoo

Quote from: pelrun on 16:17, 21 February 15
Standards for Analog Video -Part II: The Personal Computer (Display Interfaces)
Chapter 3. Building Blocks of a Video Format
Wow, I thought I knew a reasonable amount about video stuff, but this site has so much good stuff, I've learned an absolute ton in the last hour or so! Thanks for sharing... :)

For those who've not read it yet, it might be better to start here and work forwards rather than from pelrun's link backwards (as I did): Standards for Analog Video -Part I: Television (Display Interfaces) Part 1

Bryce

Quote from: ralferoo on 20:28, 21 February 15
Wow, I thought I knew a reasonable amount about video stuff, but this site has so much good stuff, I've learned an absolute ton in the last hour or so! Thanks for sharing... :)

For those who've not read it yet, it might be better to start here and work forwards rather than from pelrun's link backwards (as I did): Standards for Analog Video -Part I: Television (Display Interfaces) Part 1

Yes, TV signal standards are a minefield, there were so many different versions back then it's ridiculous. I only skimmed over them back then. When I was in University (showing my age now), the main concentration was on the differences between B&W and colour TV :D . I intend reading from the start too. It's very interesting reading.

@Munchausen: Yes, I probably still have a few PCBs left over. I'll check and send you a PM.

Quote from: pelrun on 18:37, 21 February 15
You'd need a PLL and some assorted logic to rebuild a good sync signal from the block sync, which could probably be implemented in a CPLD.

That's the difference between modern electronics and old-school solutions. I'd bet it's possible to bung something together using a 555 to bridge the gap without having to resort to CPLDs or PLL circuitry. (ignoring the fact that you said a "good sync signal" :D )

Bryce.

MaV

Black Mesa Transit Announcement System:
"Work safe, work smart. Your future depends on it."

Bryce

So today I decided to take a closer look at the Spectrum Video signal problem. I've put together a small circuit that re-inserts the HSync pulses during the VSync pulse. It looks good on the scope, but I need to test this on an LCD to see if the screen is happy with the signal. I'll build a proper prototype during the week and give it a proper test. If it works well and reliably, then I'll run off a small batch of these.

The attachment: The top trace (yellow) is the output from the spectrum monitor port (on a +3), the bottom trace (dark blue) is the output from my circuit.

Bryce.

chinnyhill10

Quote from: Bryce on 21:48, 25 October 15
So today I decided to take a closer look at the Spectrum Video signal problem. I've put together a small circuit that re-inserts the HSync pulses during the VSync pulse. It looks good on the scope, but I need to test this on an LCD to see if the screen is happy with the signal. I'll build a proper prototype during the week and give it a proper test. If it works well and reliably, then I'll run off a small batch of these.

The attachment: The top trace (yellow) is the output from the spectrum monitor port (on a +3), the bottom trace (dark blue) is the output from my circuit.

Bryce.

Looks exciting. Think the Speccy lot will be falling over themselves to buy these as there's been problems with the +2a and +3 for a long time and people have been putting up with bad pictures. Personally I've just been telling people just to buy grey +2's instead!
--
ChinnyVision - Reviews Of Classic Games Using Original Hardware
chinnyhill10 - YouTube

Bryce

Sorry for resurrecting an old thread, but @dodogildo asked me to make a custom external version of my S-Video adapter and as the Forums PM system doesn't allow attachments, I thought I'd upload the pictures here...

The device is in a small (50x50x30) box with a power throughput to avoid cable clutter, ie: The CPC 5V PSU plugs into the box and the box into the CPC. It's made for Classic CPC only. These boxes are pretty cool for CPC by the way. They are two tone and can be used either way up. One side is pretty close to CPC Grey and the other is close to CPC+ biege :)
The power lead is deliberately "crossed" and a bit longer to make it possible to disconnect without having to remove the monitor connector. The matrix PCB under the S-Video is so that I didn't have to have any external screws to mount the S-Video PCB.

Bryce.

||C|-|E||

This is actually very very nice. Have you considered to make one for the Plus? I would be really interested in experimenting with it  :D :D

Bryce

I have my own multi-system one which has connections for CPC, CPC+, Spectrum, BBC and Atari. It is of course much bigger though.

Bryce.

dodogildo

That's awesome! Just as I dreamed. Congrats @bryce for the very fine job here, and thank you! ;)
M'enfin!

robcfg

Damn fine piece of work!

You're a hardware artist ;)

Gryzor

This is just lovely! Considering a batch run?

||C|-|E||

Quote from: Bryce on 14:59, 21 November 15
I have my own multi-system one which has connections for CPC, CPC+, Spectrum, BBC and Atari. It is of course much bigger though.

Bryce.

If you plan to make one to sell it, count with me!  :D

Bryce

I won't be making a batch of these. I still sell the RGB to S-Video PCB, but you'll have to make the rest yourself.

Bryce.

Edit: On a related note, @dodgildo asked me what I think of these: AV S-Video zu VGA Wandler Konverter Adapter VGA Monitor,Video to VGA Converter |
A picture tells a thousand words, or in this case, four words... Steaming pile of shite:

[attach=2]

Compared to the V2V which cost €29 or there abouts, no competition...

[attach=3]

dodogildo

Oh god. I don't get it, why having a decent picture out of cpc on a flat panel is so hard.
The picture on my Sony crt is way beautiful but it takes so much space in the room.

Thanks Bryce, again, for the test pictures.
M'enfin!

MacDeath

just to ask.

If I remember correctly the GX4000 has a slot for a TV output.

the thing on the upper left of picture that is missing on the next picture...

would it be possible to have a replacement for this to solder/fix on board that would give a more modern "flat screen friendly" video output ?
does it already exist ?

Bryce

I assume you mean the metal box. That's the VHF Modulator. Even at their best they give a really shit picture because the signal is being mixed and modulated so often. The best picture will always be the RGB directly, and then converting this to the best format that the TV can take (which definitely isn't VHF) :)

Bryce.