News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

New yerar, new CPC board

Started by Piotr, 13:29, 07 January 15

Previous topic - Next topic

CraigsBar

Or build a new, smaller case with this and a 6128 plus keyboard, which are still available complete from trade in post.
IRC:  #Retro4All on Freenode

TotO

The fact to build an board to be used as desktop is a nice project.
Please, make the board size and the connectors output match with standard PC form-factor to be properly cased.
Great to support MX4 slots for expansions. Take care that slots are 1.00-inch spaced.
Don't built it too fast! 3D mock-ups are nice, but are definitively not what the reality allow. :)
"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

Gryzor

This got me excited, but I think there's much more potential to it than the state it's currently in... Indeed, as others have mentioned, why not incorporate some of the projects that have been widely available? Finally, after all the talk of a "future CPC" new model we're at a stage where one is actually feasible, even though it'd be more conservative in its scope than, say, DVI, 8GB and a 200MHz CPU.

Also, as TFM said: why a 464 and not a 6128?

Regarding SMDs and Bryce's comments: I think there are people willing to invest in time to build such a thing but without the technical expertise required for SMDs.

Still not sure how it could be built without cannibalising an existing machine though?

TotO

cannibalising is not a way.
"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

Gryzor

No, definitely not.

PS RIP Wolinksi, I grew up with his comics...

Piotr

Well , here is,
http://www.sellmyretro.com/offer/details/Amstrad-CPC464-ULA-40007-chip-IC-3874

Other IC from Ebay and drawer. And i can add lot's of things on the PCB but in this case people start cry "expensive".So for now, simply board, all extras like floppy or hdd controller as extensions. Just Lego  ;D

TotO

too expensive... Business over the CPC community.
Better to design a GA CPLD.

Piotr

Or write core for this board, for example zx spectrum running ok.

]

Bryce

Ralferoo already has a very good (WIP) FPGA Core for the Amstrad.

Bryce.

Piotr

Hmm but i'm too stiupid to adapt it to this board..........

TFM

Quote from: Bryce on 09:55, 08 January 15
That's not what you said earlier,
Oh come on, don't turn around ones word in the mouth. Do you always need to be right? Take it easy!  :)

If we all can work together then this could really bring us the CPC next Generation
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

Piotr

Some changes, still unfinished, mouse support added,edge slot added  separate board for extension cards.

CraigsBar

Quote from: Piotr on 07:44, 10 January 15
Some changes, still unfinished, mouse support added,edge slot added  separate board for extension cards.

any chance of a centronics expansion connector (schneider\plus style) and 6128 spec for a floppy drive.
IRC:  #Retro4All on Freenode

Munchausen

Quote from: Piotr on 07:44, 10 January 15

I like this much more  :D

A separate board for expansions is a much better idea I think (keep the motherboard nice and small).

But why not have 128K RAM? I suppose with the X-Mem it's no problem though...

Bryce

The edge connector will need to extend out from the PCB. Unlike the Spectrum, the CPC edge connector has endpoints and on some expansions has quite a bit of plastic at both ends.

Bryce.

Joseman

as Bryce Said, is imperative to put a keyboard connector for use with the old keyboard, the ps/2 is very important, but never will replace the cpc keyboard response and the "feel"

karlmag

Quote from: Bryce on 20:43, 10 January 15
The edge connector will need to extend out from the PCB. Unlike the Spectrum, the CPC edge connector has endpoints and on some expansions has quite a bit of plastic at both ends.

Bryce.

Just to add my couple of cents (or pence or øre or whatever);

The female edge connectors aren't that easy to get by these days (still not impossible, but, you know).
Personally I think I would use an IDC box connector and use a 50 pin ribbon cable to IDC connectors for new boards. Then just make a small board with IDC box connector and the edge connector for use with the old expansions.  Added bonus is that you don't run into the "need more space around the connector" problem.  I'm sure there are issues with this way of doing it too, but it might be worth considering at least?

KarlMag

TotO

Quote from: Piotr on 07:44, 10 January 15Some changes, still unfinished, mouse support added,edge slot added  separate board for extension cards.
It look to have no screw hole to be case mounded...
As already suggested, take time to design something that is really usable. It will cost money! :)

jrodriguezv

Any news about this project?

Piotr

Prototype board ordered today, so i waiting for delivery, approx 7-10 days.

Gryzor

Wow, let's see the result... :)

Piotr

Well, still a long way but I'm stubborn  :D

Piotr

With DHL courier, 8)   2 layers 16x14 cm dimensions. And is a prototype so dont push me down.

]

Bryce

I know it's your logo and all that, but writing "Speccy" on a CPC board is a bit of an insult that might put people off.

Otherwise looking good! Although I doubt you'll find many CPC expansion that fits on that edge connector, the gaps left and right are much too small for most expansions.

Bryce.

Piotr

It is a reason why it is prototype, for me is easier continue job on real board not in drawing software. Speccy.pl is my base community and i always put this logo on all my boards, sorry  :D Left and right gaps is enough for my DDI clone socket. Anyway is lot to do.