News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Pros & Cons HxC SD-Interface

Started by CPCIak, 13:07, 11 May 10

Previous topic - Next topic

norecess

It's that big because it's using fatlib, a library written in C that has to handle a complete FAT32 management.. and by "big", I was actually amazed by the small size it takes for doing that stuff, but hey :)

Terje_Norway

Hi  8)

I'm having problem formatting the SD cards. A few weeks ago I bought 3 x "Transcend SDHC 8GB Class (10)", and up to recently these THREE cards has been working perfectly.

I did the updates that came this weekend. I used a "1GB Kingston SD elite pro" card for the updates, and that works. The HxC hardware is now updated to the last firmware (1.3.0.0).

So I decided to reformat one of the Transcend cards, and put everything on a fresh card. 

I formatted it using "SD Formatter V2.9.0.5", and then formatted it in windows. The I copied the files on the card in the following order :
1) HXCFE_V1_3_0_0.UPD
2) HXCSDFE.CFG
3) AUTOBOOT.HFE
4) plus a lot of HFE files

On my CPC I get the following message "Reading FAT". That message  stays on all the time. So I tried another solution. With the UPD file on the card I tried to update the firmware from the card. Result is the LED blinks 4 times, then a pause and four new blinks. That means it can't find and UPD on the card, and that it can't read the card.

Obviously there is something wrong with the formatting of the card.

So how have I formatted the card (This is going to be detailed, as to find out what I do wrong)

1) Within "SDFormatter V2.9.0.5" I have the following settings for my "Transcend SDHC 8GB Class 10" card :
     Format type                      - "FULL (Erase ON)" 
     Format Size adjustment   -  "OFF" 
    Then "Format" and "OK" (takes 16 min on my computer)

When the format is finished I get the following information:
    Volume Information
               -File system : FAT32
               -Total space = 7.48 GB(8,040,480,768 Bytes)
               -Cluster size=32768 Bytes

2) Then I goes to Windows Explorer to format the card :
     The following options are selected :
     Capasity : 7,49 GB
     Filsystem : FAT32 (Standard)
     Allocation size : 32 kilobyte
     Volume name : (blank)
     Fast formatting (box not ticked)
Pushing START
Formatting warning, and OK (takes 12 min on my computer)

3) Finally my card is really formatted, and ready to use.
4) Now I copies the files to the card. (See order above)

I still get the same error message on the CPC  :-[

What do I do wrong ? ? ?

Looking forward for any suggestions.

Yours

Terje Grind
Norway

TomEtJerry

Hello,

I am not sure about it, but I think that's not a good idea to let the firmware update on the card. Did you setup too the drive as A: or B: ?

I myself experienced tonight something weird, I wanted to test the new No Recess' frontend. But, after loading the Hxc program, error 64 (and the card is blocked). Damn No Recess, another bugged software :-). So I decided to use again the old frontend : same result.

I have been obliged to setup the Hcx Sdcard reader as A: drive ("jumpering" and removing the internal 3 inches drive :-( ) : result, everything is fine, even with the last frontend update.
I haved setuped (uh, does not sound like an english expression) again the Hxc card as B: drive and putted back the internal drive : everything is still ok !!

T&J/GPA

Terje_Norway

Hi  :)

My setup is as simple as it can get.

1) Plain CPC6128, without any add ons or anything else.
2) HxC SD Card connected as Drive B: . . . .
                                                             . . | .
                                                             . . | .
3) Using Floppy lead, and power lead from Urban Retro.
4) Everything works perfect with my "1GB Kingston SD Elite Pro" card
    With my "8GB Transcend SDHC Class 10" it used to work a few weeks AGO, but just not NOW.

YES, the update file is also on my KINGSTON card.

Just a wild theory, could it have something to do with the BOOTLOADER released a few weeks ago ? ? ?

Yours

Terje Grind
Norway

norecess

Hi guys,

Can't help on that one, the software is not involved here.
Let's wait for Jeff's answer!  8)

TFM

Quote from: norecess on 05:14, 23 August 10
4) I still enjoy watching turn-disc parts. :)

Good point  ;)
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

Jeff_HxC2001

Quote from: Terje_Norway on 17:50, 23 August 10
Hi  8)

I'm having problem formatting the SD cards. A few weeks ago I bought 3 x "Transcend SDHC 8GB Class (10)", and up to recently these THREE cards has been working perfectly.

I did the updates that came this weekend. I used a "1GB Kingston SD elite pro" card for the updates, and that works. The HxC hardware is now updated to the last firmware (1.3.0.0).

So I decided to reformat one of the Transcend cards, and put everything on a fresh card.

I formatted it using "SD Formatter V2.9.0.5", and then formatted it in windows. The I copied the files on the card in the following order :
1) HXCFE_V1_3_0_0.UPD
2) HXCSDFE.CFG
3) AUTOBOOT.HFE
4) plus a lot of HFE files

On my CPC I get the following message "Reading FAT". That message  stays on all the time. So I tried another solution. With the UPD file on the card I tried to update the firmware from the card. Result is the LED blinks 4 times, then a pause and four new blinks. That means it can't find and UPD on the card, and that it can't read the card.

Obviously there is something wrong with the formatting of the card.

So how have I formatted the card (This is going to be detailed, as to find out what I do wrong)

1) Within "SDFormatter V2.9.0.5" I have the following settings for my "Transcend SDHC 8GB Class 10" card :
     Format type                      - "FULL (Erase ON)"
     Format Size adjustment   -  "OFF"
    Then "Format" and "OK" (takes 16 min on my computer)

When the format is finished I get the following information:
    Volume Information
               -File system : FAT32
               -Total space = 7.48 GB(8,040,480,768 Bytes)
               -Cluster size=32768 Bytes

2) Then I goes to Windows Explorer to format the card :
     The following options are selected :
     Capasity : 7,49 GB
     Filsystem : FAT32 (Standard)
     Allocation size : 32 kilobyte
     Volume name : (blank)
     Fast formatting (box not ticked)
Pushing START
Formatting warning, and OK (takes 12 min on my computer)

3) Finally my card is really formatted, and ready to use.
4) Now I copies the files to the card. (See order above)

I still get the same error message on the CPC  :-[

What do I do wrong ? ? ?

Looking forward for any suggestions.

Yours

Terje Grind
Norway

mhhh 12 minutes of formatting seems very long to me...

anyway can you try to go back to an older firmware ? :

http://hxc2001.free.fr/floppy_drive_emulator/oldfirmware.zip

what was your previous firmware version ? (when the cards works...)

Terje_Norway

Hi Jeff,

On my three years old PC everything goes slow, so 12 min to format a card is slow, but I have become used to it  :(

As for older firmware I have checked with another piece of hardware. I had the biggest order according to Lotharek when I bought 10 units, so I still have 8 unused units. One is used for a CPC6128 and the other is used on a Amiga 500. I did raid an computer museum years ago ! ! ! YES I'm probably "crazy", but I'm sure I have more computers than most of You out there. All in all I have about 60-70 retro computers (I think), including about 20 Amstrad machines.  8)

The next piece of hardware I tested with my Transcend card has :

Firmware V1.1.0.1 (As it was originally shipped with) gave the a new error "rderr=00000000 2". That indicates that the error must be related to the card.
I also tested this firmware with my working KINGSTON card, and that worked almost perfect ! ! !.
Trying to run "HXC" (V2.0) from the card gave me the following error on screen (CPC screen that is ;) )
HxC card is configured as Drive B:

With disc in Drive A: I get an "ERROR: Floppy Access Error! [64]" on screen
                                "Direct access LBA:00000000" on LCD
Without disc in drive A : I get an "ERROR: Floppy Access Error ! [68]" on screen, nothing on LCD

Swapping hardware, and it worked like a dream. HXC program worked like it should.

So what is the conclusion.

The "HXC V2.0" doesn't work on old firmware. Could it be related to the updated BOOTLOADER ? ? ?

Have to investigate further tomorrow.

Yours

Terje Grind
Norway

Jeff_HxC2001

Quote from: Terje_Norway on 00:35, 24 August 10
Hi Jeff,

On my three years old PC everything goes slow, so 12 min to format a card is slow, but I have become used to it  :(

As for older firmware I have checked with another piece of hardware. I had the biggest order according to Lotharek when I bought 10 units, so I still have 8 unused units. One is used for a CPC6128 and the other is used on a Amiga 500. I did raid an computer museum years ago ! ! ! YES I'm probably "crazy", but I'm sure I have more computers than most of You out there. All in all I have about 60-70 retro computers (I think), including about 20 Amstrad machines.  8)

The next piece of hardware I tested with my Transcend card has :

Firmware V1.1.0.1 (As it was originally shipped with) gave the a new error "rderr=00000000 2". That indicates that the error must be related to the card.
I also tested this firmware with my working KINGSTON card, and that worked almost perfect ! ! !.
Trying to run "HXC" (V2.0) from the card gave me the following error on screen (CPC screen that is ;) )
HxC card is configured as Drive B:

With disc in Drive A: I get an "ERROR: Floppy Access Error! [64]" on screen
                                "Direct access LBA:00000000" on LCD
Without disc in drive A : I get an "ERROR: Floppy Access Error ! [68]" on screen, nothing on LCD

Swapping hardware, and it worked like a dream. HXC program worked like it should.

So what is the conclusion.

The "HXC V2.0" doesn't work on old firmware. Could it be related to the updated BOOTLOADER ? ? ?

Have to investigate further tomorrow.

Yours

Terje Grind
Norway

No this firmware is too old (mhh i don't have this version in the release notes!!! are you sure it's 1.1.0.1 ?) for the file manager (some bug have been corrected since).
And the bootloader is only used during firmware update. so it's not the problem.
Can you try the 1.2.0.0 ?

if this doesn't work , can you dump the full sdcard, pack the 8 GB file image (should be small at the end) and send it to me ? i need this to understand what happens

Gryzor

A bit off-topic, but:

Quote from: Terje_Norway on 20:54, 23 August 10
3) Using Floppy lead, and power lead from Urban Retro.

what power lead do they offer?

Terje_Norway

Hi,

A few updates on the SD card formatting problem.

Quote from: Gryzor on 06:29, 24 August 10

A bit off-topic, but:

what power lead do they offer?
"Amstrad CPC power cable for SD HxC floppy disk drive"
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Amstrad-CPC-power-cable-SD-HxC-floppy-disk-drive-/230508124304?pt=UK_VintageComputing_RL

Up for auction is a 1m long power cable for use with the SD HxC floppy emulator card.

By using this cable, power to the card is supplied directly via the Amstrad CPC monitor (or via any other external PSU that can plug to and power up the Amstrad CPC keyboard).

Quote from: Jeff_HxC2001 on 06:11, 24 August 10
No this firmware is too old (mhh i don't have this version in the release notes!!! are you sure it's 1.1.0.1 ?) for the file manager (some bug have been corrected since).
And the bootloader is only used during firmware update. so it's not the problem.
Can you try the 1.2.0.0 ?

if this doesn't work , can you dump the full sdcard, pack the 8 GB file image (should be small at the end) and send it to me ? i need this to understand what happens
Yes, firmware is v1.1.0.1. This firmware is old, and I haven't been able to find any references for it ! ! !. Besides, it is the firmware that was on my test unit, nothing more.

The last firmware that worked with my Transcend card could have been v1.1.3.0. I can't remember using these three cards with v1.2.0.0. and above. 

So Jeff, let us start eliminating errors.
1.) Could it be something wrong with my formatting procedure described a few postings ago ? ? ?.  
2.) Can't completely forget about the error message I get using the Transcend cards with firmware V1.1.0.1 ("rderr=00000000 2"). What does this error indicate ? ? ?
3.) With firmware v1.3.0.0 the "error" I get is "Reading FAT..". Is it related to point 2.) 
Together these two different errors indicates that the problem lies with the Transcend card. 
That kind of problems could usually be solved with formatting the card ! ! Now we're back to start.

I'll update the second unit to firmware V1.1.3.0 and see if that makes any difference.

I'll be back when it is done.

Yours

Terje Grind
Norway

CPCIak

I'm glad having none of these problems. My interface isn't updated yet and it works out of the box!
Thanx to jeff for releasing HxC Manager 2.0 - you did a great job!

Terje_Norway

Hi (again)  ;)

Now I have done a lot of updates to the firmware on my "second Amstrad" unit :

Firmware V1.1.3.0           : The three Transcend cards gives "Reading FAT.."
Bootloader V1.0TOV1.1   : Works perfect
Firmware V1.2.0.0           : The three Transcend cards gives "Reading FAT.."
Firmware V1.2.0.1           : The three Transcend cards gives "Reading FAT.."
Firmware V1.3.0.0           : The three Transcend cards gives "Reading FAT.."

Have also made an attempt to "downgrade" back to firmware V1.2.0.1 that gives FOUR blinks than a pause and FOUR new blinks (Means UPD file not found on SD card).  Have reset my CPC and inserted the card, now it can't find "Hxcsdfe.cfg" on SD card (file is not on the KINGSTON card) That means that it is nothing wrong with the KINGSTON card.

After all the updates, I have discovered something ODD.

BOOTLOADER enclosed with firmware V1.2.0.0 is dated 07.08.10 13:01 - size 9216 bytes
BOOTLOADER enclosed with firmware V1.2.0.1 is dated 07.08.10 13:01 - size 9216 bytes
BOOTLOADER enclosed with firmware V1.3.0.0 is dated 11.08.10 20:46 - size 9728 bytes

What is the difference between these TWO bootloaders ? ? ?

I have compared the two files, and there seems to be a lot of differences (at least when the two files are compared to each other)

Looking forward to hearing from You Jeff  ;)

Yours

Terje Grind
Norway

Jeff_HxC2001

Quote from: Terje_Norway on 15:51, 24 August 10
Hi (again)

Now I have done a lot of updates to the firmware on my "second Amstrad" unit :

Firmware V1.1.3.0           : The three Transcend cards gives "Reading FAT.."
Bootloader V1.0TOV1.1   : Works perfect
Firmware V1.2.0.0           : The three Transcend cards gives "Reading FAT.."
Firmware V1.2.0.1           : The three Transcend cards gives "Reading FAT.."
Firmware V1.3.0.0           : The three Transcend cards gives "Reading FAT.."

Have also made an attempt to "downgrade" back to firmware V1.2.0.1 that gives FOUR blinks than a pause and FOUR new blinks (Means UPD file not found on SD card).  Have reset my CPC and inserted the card, now it can't find "Hxcsdfe.cfg" on SD card (file is not on the KINGSTON card) That means that it is nothing wrong with the KINGSTON card.

After all the updates, I have discovered something ODD.

BOOTLOADER enclosed with firmware V1.2.0.0 is dated 07.08.10 13:01 - size 9216 bytes
BOOTLOADER enclosed with firmware V1.2.0.1 is dated 07.08.10 13:01 - size 9216 bytes
BOOTLOADER enclosed with firmware V1.3.0.0 is dated 11.08.10 20:46 - size 9728 bytes

What is the difference between these TWO bootloaders ? ? ?

I have compared the two files, and there seems to be a lot of differences (at least when the two files are compared to each other)

Looking forward to hearing from You Jeff

Yours

Terje Grind
Norway

Firmware/bootloader files are scrambled. so don't try to compare them

For the sdcard problem what i see is that your transcend card didn't work at all (this not a firmware/bootloader version problem...).
Unfortunately i can't help you without one them here.

Last thing : Can you dump the one you are using for the tests please ?

Terje_Norway

Hi Jeff  8)

Thanks for Your fast reply.

I'll do more research concerning the Transcend cards, and if I can't get it working I'll send one of the Transcend cards to You.  ;D

BUT concerning the BOOTLOADER files. Are all three files the same ? ? ?
I have compared the bootloader file within firmware V1.2.0.0 with V1.2.0.1  (These bootloader files are identical ! ! )
Compared with bootloader within  firmware V1.3.0.0 (The two files are not identical) Both date and size is different.
To me it could be a identification of TWO different files ? ? ?

Have You found anything wrong with my formatting procedure ? ? ?

Yours

Terje Grind
Norway

Jeff_HxC2001

Quote from: Gryzor on 19:01, 10 August 10
Thanks for all the support mate... it's much, much appreciated.
I never remove a card while the board is still on. And I don't turn it off while it's obviously reading or writing something -but then again, I'm not sure what 'obviously' means here.
About the file method you suggested: this is all done on the PC, right? But what will it achieve?

Also, thanks about the LBA clarification. I hadn't seen it with older firmware versions, and I did guess that it probably didn't mean anything was wrong, but thought I'd ask.
Shame, I'd like some yellow and green blinkies... :D
Off to a date now, already running late. See what your board does? Kills social life!

Ok i got your Sdcard Gryzor : The problem is that you have formatted this sdcard in FAT (16) and not in FAT32.
As said in the user manual the floppy emulator is FAT32 based.
So after a simple fat32 formatting all is working well...

Jeff_HxC2001

Quote from: Terje_Norway on 17:21, 24 August 10
Hi Jeff  8)

Thanks for Your fast reply.

I'll do more research concerning the Transcend cards, and if I can't get it working I'll send one of the Transcend cards to You.  ;D

BUT concerning the BOOTLOADER files. Are all three files the same ? ? ?
I have compared the bootloader file within firmware V1.2.0.0 with V1.2.0.1  (These bootloader files are identical ! ! )
Compared with bootloader within  firmware V1.3.0.0 (The two files are not identical) Both date and size is different.
To me it could be a identification of TWO different files ? ? ?

Have You found anything wrong with my formatting procedure ? ? ?

Yours

Terje Grind
Norway

Please use this tool to dump your sdcard :

http://www.alexpage.de/download/usbit/usbit.zip
(use the "Device Mode")

After this compress the file image (in rar for example) and send me the archive.

Thanks by advance.

Gryzor

Quote from: Jeff_HxC2001 on 20:27, 24 August 10
Ok i got your Sdcard Gryzor : The problem is that you have formatted this sdcard in FAT (16) and not in FAT32.
As said in the user manual the floppy emulator is FAT32 based.
So after a simple fat32 formatting all is working well...

Erm... I don't have a hat to eat, but even if I did format it as FAT16 before I sent it , I'm 100% sure that at *least* one of the times I formatted it was in FAT32 :D I think FAT32 is the default anyway?

I'll try to find the other SD cars that presented the same problem...

Thanks for letting me know :)

@Terje: uh.... thanks for the power cable info, I had already bought this one :D I just didn't remember it was that seller!

Jeff_HxC2001

Quote from: Gryzor on 10:43, 25 August 10
Erm... I don't have a hat to eat, but even if I did format it as FAT16 before I sent it , I'm 100% sure that at *least* one of the times I formatted it was in FAT32 :D I think FAT32 is the default anyway?

I'll try to find the other SD cars that presented the same problem...

Thanks for letting me know :)

@Terje: uh.... thanks for the power cable info, I had already bought this one :D I just didn't remember it was that seller!

Yes but the card i received was in FAT16... and this card doesn't present any problem (once in fat32).
and no, for a 2GB card the default file system is FAT16...

norecess

So, finally... 1 week after latest release... is everyone happy with latest Manager ?

nurgle

Quote from: norecess on 19:06, 30 August 10
So, finally... 1 week after latest release... is everyone happy with latest Manager ?

I already wrote which additional feature I would like to have.  :P

Apart from that it is really good and working absolutely flawless so far.  8) :)

archcosmo

Quote from: norecess on 19:06, 30 August 10

Hi there,

yep, I'm pretty happy with it: my primary method of using it is via the push button and LCD screen, but can report (finally) the reason why I couldn't get the Floppy Manager working with my particular setup that I was writing about earlier in this forum thread: it was due to the multiple ABBA Drive Select switch mods that I have installed on my CPC6128. regardless of whether the SD HxC was set to DS0, 1, 2 or 3 or set to A (1st) drive or B (2nd) drive -  the floppy manager would return an error code (refer to my earlier post for the scenarios that would generate them).

fortunately, I have an unmodified CPC6128 on hand, and could confirm that the Floppy Manager software was working properly with the SD HxC (updated to latest firmware v1.3.13.0) when set as the B drive via the jumper settings for Drive Select 1, and to also try out the ROM version of the Floppy Manager programmed on to my Symbiface II... works quite well, and it's quicker to operate than the Floppy Manager that loads from Autoboot.hfe

so, my request (or comment) for help would be this: any chance you could install this external floppy mod on to your 6128, and figure out why this ABBA drive mod appears to be causing all the program error codes???

I've attached a screen shot from Amstrad Technical Manual #3 of a schematic for the mod that should expand on what I'm talking about ;-)
the screenshot describes ABBA switches for DS0, 1, 2 and internal 3" floppy and how they're soldered to various points on the circuit board..

cheers!

ukmarkh

Will this HxC work on a 6128 Plus??? Any pitfalls, and how difficult would it be to get it up and running???

andycadley

Yep, I've got mine attached to my 6128+. I'm using the external cable at the moment, though I've removed the internal drive and made an adapter cable to take the power from the internal drive feed. I might look into making a suitable internal cable for the data at some point, then mounting it entirely internally but what I have now is working ok for the time being.

norecess

Yes, working with any CPCs (software and hardware, including 64Kb machines).