News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

cpcdisk for win98

Started by FRAGKI-2012, 10:51, 16 November 14

Previous topic - Next topic

FRAGKI-2012

hello im wondering if exist any program like cpcdisk for windows 98???
im search for a program runs in win 98 because i fix an old pc with 98 so i can format my floppies 3,5 and 5,25 in any size that i want so my 5,25 floppys disks are formated and im trying to find a solution to write cpcdisk images to them !!!!
any ideas ????

reelyanoob

I don't know about a win9x version, but you *probably* can get XP running on that old machine and run CPCDiskXP.

XP does actually include support for all common 5.25 and 3.5 disk formats from the 1980s. More recent motherboards however may not support them in the bios, but WinXP still does in the software.

A Pentium 233MHz / 64MB RAM is the stated minimum spec for XP. There is a cut down bootleg XP floating around, called TinyXP which have been cut to the bare bones. That one would run on lower specs than the normal XP. Might be useful if all you want to do is get some disks formatted. You should be able to get XP or TinyXP running on something around 200MHz.

FRAGKI-2012

I have allready a dual boot and in xp is not possible to format the 3.5 in 720kb and in 5,25 is no option to select the size of disk 360 or 1200 so thank you for your prompt response but i need a idea to realise the cpcdiskxp to 98 or to find a solution to format in xp and im wondering if the cpcdisk support the 5,25 drives??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Nich

Quote from: FRAGKI-2012 on 10:51, 16 November 14
hello im wondering if exist any program like cpcdisk for windows 98???
im search for a program runs in win 98 because i fix an old pc with 98 so i can format my floppies 3,5 and 5,25 in any size that i want so my 5,25 floppys disks are formated and im trying to find a solution to write cpcdisk images to them !!!!
any ideas ????
CPDRead and CPDWrite are old programs that I used to use on my Win98 PC for transferring DSK files to and from 3" discs. They actually run under MS-DOS but I recall that CPDWrite worked OK in an MS-DOS window while running Win98 on my PC.

reelyanoob

Floppy disk formats that are supported in Windows XP

Here's microsofts tech details. Windows XP is supposed to be able to read/write (but NOT format) all disk sizes inside the GUI: 5.25" 360k or 1.2M, 3.5" 1.44M or 720k. But you may need a driver to allow it, apparently (some people did, some did not depending on the hardware OEM). Reading of all disk sizes should then be possible inside WinXP.

If your FD drivers are compatible, it is possible to format all 5.25" disks in XP, as long as you use the "format.exe" commandline, since you can specify size in that unlike the GUI version. Note that the default FD driver seems to create disks that are incompatible with windows 98 - e.g. they can't be ported back and forth for some stupid reason. Using the WinXP FD drivers from below is suppose to fix that issue.

Looks like some research on getting the drivers is in this post, I'd try this if the commandline format doesn't work.
Format 720k floppy
The original download link from that was broken. I tracked down at least one other link to the same file, but the above post specifies how to install the driver.
http://www.driverguide.com/driver/detail.php?driverid=127524

robcfg

Anyway, CPCDiscXP uses Simon Owen's fdrawcmd driver so you don't need to worry about what windows can or cannot do.

FRAGKI-2012

to anyone it may concern
in wondows xp the cpcdisk can write 5.25 discs regurarly, if only the drive is not faulty
I tried many times in a faulty drive, but it didn't write
when I plugged a healthy drive 5.25 drive it worked perfectly and amstrad read it very easily.
Thank you
p.s the drive i tried and worked was 360k cannon 5,25