News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Marklin Digital Model Railroads Software

Started by ComSoft6128, 07:56, 26 July 21

Previous topic - Next topic

ComSoft6128

1986 German software for control of model railway sets manufactured by Marklin Gmbh.

Now to fully use this software requires an RS232 interface, a Marklin interface, trains and railway track of which I have none. Soooo in the video I'll have a quick look at some of the BASIC files and then Run the small demo that came with the original disc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKPuFy3FERs

Links:
General -
https://www.cpc-power.com/index.php?page=detail&num=4973

Manual -
https://www.cpc-power.com/extra_lire_fichier.php?extra=notice&fiche=4973&slot=1&part=A&type=.pdf

Märklin Digital @ Wikipedia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M%C3%A4rklin_Digital

Marklin @ Wikipedia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M%C3%A4rklin

Not emulated - original hardware and software.

Please note that  the aspect ratio for this YouTube video is 16:9 but the CPC monitor
has an aspect ratio of 4:3 so you may wish to adjust your viewing device accordingly.

Gryzor

One for the rich kids :D I wonder how much such a set would have cost back then...

eto

Quote from: Gryzor on 08:10, 26 July 21One for the rich kids  I wonder how much such a set would have cost back then...

More for the rich dads! Märklin was as long as I can remember more for adults than for kids. That was a good fit for the Schneider CPC. In Germany (or at least in my area), the CPC was primarily bought in households with above average income, the dad was often an engineer. I don't remember any kids that said "I want a Schneider CPC" but maybe "I want a computer" - and then dad turned up with the CPC.

And yes, especially the digital version of Märklin was very, very expensive.

Gryzor

"Mutteeeeeeer, Vater iz playing again vith mein CPC!" :D

(apologies for the stereotypical joke)

eto

Quote from: Gryzor on 13:48, 26 July 21(apologies for the stereotypical joke)

Well... almost... it was my mother who was playing all the time! (Macadam Bumper and Kniffel)

Bryce

Quote from: eto on 13:44, 26 July 21
More for the rich dads! Märklin was as long as I can remember more for adults than for kids. That was a good fit for the Schneider CPC. In Germany (or at least in my area), the CPC was primarily bought in households with above average income, the dad was often an engineer. I don't remember any kids that said "I want a Schneider CPC" but maybe "I want a computer" - and then dad turned up with the CPC.

And yes, especially the digital version of Märklin was very, very expensive.

The age old joke: What have model trains sets and breasts in common? - Both were made for children but get played with most by their father.

Bryce.

eto

Quote from: Bryce on 15:05, 26 July 21What have model trains sets and breasts in common? - Both were made for children but get played with most by their father.

And not to forget: what's the main difference between men and boys? The price of their toys.

Gryzor

Quote from: eto on 15:12, 26 July 21
And not to forget: what's the main difference between men and boys? The price of their toys.

Ohhh so true!

Me, before having a baby: "we're going to get him few, but good and expensive toys"
Also me, after toddler prefers craptastic plastic stuff found in trash over expensive wooden firetruck: "fuck it, plastic it is".

Bryce

Quote from: Gryzor on 08:43, 27 July 21
Ohhh so true!

Me, before having a baby: "we're going to get him few, but good and expensive toys"
Also me, after toddler prefers craptastic plastic stuff found in trash over expensive wooden firetruck: "fuck it, plastic it is".

You should buy a toddler "their" favourite 8-Bit computer and wait until they are old enough to appreciate it (You may use it yourself while waiting).

Bryce.

Gryzor

Well, I think he'll be starting with the Megadrive because:

a. I can use velcro to prop up my MegaSG at the back of the TV, out of his reach and his food-covered little fingers and
b. He's been rigorously testing the Honey Bee XE arcade stick that's attached to it but is located at the front of the TV; it has withstood all his attacks.

Z|G

Whenever I see "Train" software I think of a family member (older than me).

He "bought" a complete setup, even has a spare room for it.

"Bought" under the guise of .... the kids will enjoy it.... ;) she bought that.....

Years later, kids are older and have zero interest in trains, or model trains....

Handbags for the ladies, Model trains (insert your obsession here) for the lads...

It always make me smile/laugh.. when I think of him playing with his train set...

There is more to it, than on the surface, I know as I had to help setup my family members set when he moved house.
1xCPC6128, 1xTandy Model 4, 1xC64 (IN BOX)

Bryce

My father and I built a train setup when I was a kid. It was a simple affair, two loops about 3 metres long with a connection between the loops and a short parking branch on the outside loop, manual junctions and two trains. I returned many years later with my son and asked my father whether he still had the setup. To my surprise it had grown by approx 500%, now had stations, bridges, mountains, car parks, a tunnel and many more features including electrical junctions and 6 trains! I now suspect it had never been "my" train set at all.

Bryce.