News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

ROManager for MegaFlash and Symbiface

Started by TFM, 07:30, 28 August 11

Previous topic - Next topic

Gryzor

I think ROManager works pretty well as it is. I think it mostly needs some UI changes, like a reset option and dialog boxes where text doesn't flow outside the box... stuff like that :)

TFM

Quote from: redbox on 07:12, 09 October 11
Can I just ask what changes were required to make it 464/664 compatible?

Well, basically it was a conversion from an 128 KB version to an 64 KB version.

- The two ROMs are buffered in the first 64 KB now, not in E-RAM
- The multi-language-interface has been deleted
- Option, which just show informations have been deleted, just read the doc file now ,-)
- Using a bit more CPC-OS API functions than before (which doesn't make it more quick :-()
- However, it may be wise to use a command like !ROMON(,)7 before usage, in case HIMEM is smaller than &A400 roughly.

Quote from: Gryzor on 11:00, 09 October 11
I think ROManager works pretty well as it is. I think it mostly needs some UI changes, like a reset option and dialog boxes where text doesn't flow outside the box... stuff like that :)

I know what you mean, but you must know that ROManager for BASIC is basically an hybrid program between CBM (which was developped for FutureOS), some parts of FutureOS and some adaptions, that make in running under the native CPC-OS.
If I would have made a clean rewrite for the CPC-OS then this would take me month longer (because my spare time is very scarce) and the result would work way slower.
So the hybrid solution seems to be ok for me. Having said that the hybrid solution will not make the size of the program smaller.

Here a trick for entering file names: Just press Control+TAB first, then you switch to "overwrite" mode, and the text will not flow out of the box. In additon: You don't have to delete charactes that way.

(I can't activate the overwrite mode automaticly, because this is the BASIC string editor. I could use the one of FutureOS, but neither I have the intention to port half of my OS into a program, nor it would just cost a coupe of bytes. In contrast it's rather large).
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

redbox

Thanks TFM.

Was just wondering as I'm writing some ROM stuff and want to make it both 6128 and 464 compatible.

TFM

Quote from: redbox on 21:39, 09 October 11
Thanks TFM.

Was just wondering as I'm writing some ROM stuff and want to make it both 6128 and 464 compatible.

Well, if you look at the beginning of my ROManager source code then you see, there is just one CPC-OS call (the editor IIRC) that had to be adapted.

No need to mention that anybody can use my source as long as it is mentioned in the final program.

In case there are questions, just let me know.
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

Gryzor

Ctrl+TAB: nice trick. You should actually put this as a tip in the program interface!

TFM

Quote from: Gryzor on 07:28, 10 October 11
Ctrl+TAB: nice trick. You should actually put this as a tip in the program interface!

Ok, for the next version :-)
TFM of FutureSoft

TFM

Any wishes for the next update left? Request here!
TFM of FutureSoft

Gryzor

Keyboard shortcuts?
Like, L3W4 would load the fourth file and write it into the 4 slot... or something like that.

Bryce

00WReX

I will list all I can think of at the moment...(nice to have's)...

1)Grey out any options not available in BASIC version or a BASIC only version.

Under "File"
2)An option to Load a range of ROMs eg Load positions 20-23 for those apps the occupy
more than one position.
3)A "Reset CPC" option to initialise ROM/s.

Under "ROM management"
4)A SIMPLE "List ROMs" Option.
5)An option to clear a range of ROMs eg clear positions 20-23 for those apps the occupy
more than one position. This would also allow the user to clear all ROMs if required
0-31 (automatically excluding ROMs 0 & 7).

Under "Process"
6)An option to "Turn Off" the Flash Write Protection in the event a new Flash chip is
inserted (May never be required, but who knows 10 years down the track).

Cheers,
Shane
The CPC in Australia...
Awa - CPCWiki

TFM

Thanks' for all the input!!! Ok, the next release will take longer now ;-) I see what I can do :-)))
TFM of FutureSoft

Bryce

When you replace the Flash, it needs to be initialised, ie: The write protection needs to be turned off. It would be nice if the software could do this too. It's only a short (4 byte) sequence that needs to be sent to the Flash.

Bryce.

TFM

Quote from: Bryce on 13:29, 30 January 12
When you replace the Flash, it needs to be initialised, ie: The write protection needs to be turned off. It would be nice if the software could do this too. It's only a short (4 byte) sequence that needs to be sent to the Flash.

Bryce.

Great! I just wanted to ask you if the CPC is capable of doing it!

Please let me know how to do it (PM or here). As soon as I understand how to initialize the Flash I will add this function to the software like you requested.
TFM of FutureSoft

TFM

Hi there,
In a German forum I did read that the ROManager 1.34 had problems to write ROMs to the SF2. Sorrowly I life in the USA and can not check that by myself here, since I have no CPC here - and no SF2.

Can somebody please tell me if ROManager 1.34 work with the SF2? If not, please describe the error. If the "Load ROM" function does not work, please send me a dump of the 'burned' ROM.

Any kind of help is strongly appreciated! Your help will help us to get better software  :) :) :)
Download:
http://www.colorado-boys-muenchen.de/users/futureos/files/SF_ROManager.zip
TFM of FutureSoft

TFM

Hi there,
Today I uploaded an small update of the ROManager for BASIC to the download section of FutureOS - The revolutionary UltraOS for the CPC6128 and CPCPlus
Now also the BASIC version can read ROMs which are saved as 16 KB ASCII files.

Well, I could do only few testing, so please report problems here - or let me know if it works.

Thanks to SyX (like usually ;-)) for his help,
TFM
TFM of FutureSoft

TFM

Oh, and I forgot to add the 464 version yesterday. Now added :-D
TFM of FutureSoft

TFM

Update for the SF2 added. Happy ASCII ROM reading  :)
TFM of FutureSoft

TFM

Well maybe there will be a version for the new FlashGordon too...
TFM of FutureSoft

Devilmarkus

When you put your ear on a hot stove, you can smell how stupid you are ...

Amstrad CPC games in your webbrowser

JavaCPC Desktop Full Release

TFM

After a week of testing I have to thank Toms and Bübchen for testing the FlashGordon version of the ROManager. And - unexpectedly - it seems to work from the beginning  :laugh:
Now I only have the BASIC version for you, since I'm very busy in the lab. [nb]The new zombi cell line suxx greatly.[/nb]

Direct download here:
http://www.colorado-boys-muenchen.de/users/futureos/files/MF_ROManager.zip

Read the read-me to find out which DSK is the right one. Good luck with that  :P
TFM of FutureSoft

Bryce

Are you sure they've tested it properly? The ROManager can write to it no problem, but the Flash chip has 64K pages, so for example, writing to ROM 3 would seem to work if the Flash is empty otherwise (the new ROM would be successfully written), but it would also delete ROMs 5, 6 and 7 if they had previously ROMs installed there. Or have they chosen a new Flash IC? Do you know which Flash was used for the tests?

Bryce.

IanS

The chip shown on the pictures on PushnPop show a 39SF040, which has 4K pages.

(I do have a beta version of my software for my flash rom board which supports 64K pages. Onviously you have to copy the other 3 16K images into ram and then re-write them if the slot you want to program is not blank. I've been using a 29F040 for testing. Only works on machines with extra ram).

Bryce

Ah, ok, then it shouldn't be a problem. I thought they were using something else.

Bryce.

TFM

The FlashGordon and the Bübchen version of the MegaFlash are using the same Flash. Both decided independently for that, so there must be some reasons. Since that chip is available now it would be great not to start producing cards with different chips agian.
The Flash is the SST39SF040 from SST. Sure I know which chip that is else I couldn't make software for it.
In the case of the SST39SF040 you have to erase 4 KB sectors and write anything byte-wise.
SDP does NOT exist in the way like for the Winbond. Or let's put it this way, the SDP can NOT be switched off.
Look:
TFM of FutureSoft

gerald

I am also using the SST39SF040 for my own RAM/Flash extension. Mainly for its availability and the CPC friendly 4K page :).
By the way, SST=Microchip.