News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Wanted: drive motor

Started by Ynot.zer0, 23:00, 03 October 23

Previous topic - Next topic

Ynot.zer0

Has anyone got a spare motor from a 3" disc drive that they want to sell me? Or point me in direction of one I can purchase - mine appears to be dead  :'( thanks

Rabs

Quote from: Ynot.zer0 on 23:00, 03 October 23Has anyone got a spare motor from a 3" disc drive that they want to sell me? Or point me in direction of one I can purchase - mine appears to be dead  :'( thanks

Think, I may have a spare drive you can have. Can't remember why I put it in storage, think I could not get a good read from it but the motor was OK. Never got round to looking at it again.

Rabs

Ah sorry I got the drive out of store and it is not the same make.

You cannot view this attachment.

Ynot.zer0

Much appreciated Rabs. 

I did some diagnosis and it was the magnet spinning thing(?) and not the motor that turns the drive that was faulty, so it didn't move the arm thing up and down for reading the disc.
I've stripped it for "parts". I just bought a faulty PCW with double 3"drives in, so when that arrives next week I'll strip out the drives, replace belts as they'll have perished and see how I go.

You remind me, I have a few goodies to post to you - will do it this coming week as an early Xmas gift 🎁 

Ynot.zer0

Quote from: Rabs on 08:53, 07 October 23Ah sorry I got the drive out of store and it is not the same make.

You cannot view this attachment.
actually, that looks like the drive out of an external DDI-1 that is usually inside a long grey box.  that would actually do the job nicely, as a total replacement.....

Rabs

You can have it if you want it. But I remember now...

It is an EME-150A from a CPC 664 and the stepper motor bangs like it is trying to get out of the case. The sort of banging that makes you switch it off quickly!

The shaft looks very loose, it moves ok but wonder if some sort of guide on the shaft has broken.

If you fancy a challenge its yours.

Ynot.zer0

Quote from: Rabs on 17:00, 07 October 23You can have it if you want it. But I remember now...

It is an EME-150A from a CPC 664 and the stepper motor bangs like it is trying to get out of the case. The sort of banging that makes you switch it off quickly!

The shaft looks very loose, it moves ok but wonder if some sort of guide on the shaft has broken.

If you fancy a challenge its yours.

as if the universe was listening... I took a look on fbook marketplace this afternoon and an external DDI-1 appeared, 2 miles from me, collect only... at a very reasonable price. It was just the drive and instruction book, so I took the gamble.
The belt was long gone and was a bit icky to remove, it had semi-welded itself to the big grey top circular drive, got it all off eventually.
I already had a cable from that nice chap in Austria, plugged that in - does amuse me how the external cable is used and then inside it converts back down to a smaller cable.

I cleaned it up - plugged it all in and jobs a good 'un, I have a working external drive again! and lots of bits for the "spare parts drawer"

XLV2K

There's some chap in the Sinclair for sale Facebook group ( its a private group so you will need to subscribe to it to see the listing ) selling an Amstrad EMS-156 FDD for 40 euros https://www.facebook.com/groups/SinclarForSale/posts/6484359414995800/