News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

WANTED: System discs for PCW 8256 / 8512

Started by pollito, 08:45, 16 May 23

Previous topic - Next topic

pollito

I have just bought a PCW 8512 on eBay which did not come with any system discs.

I'm not sure of the legality of asking for copies of the originals, as they would have come with the system, but I'm sure someone can clarify this for me.

I would have to get the discs to Bath, Somerset.

Thanks in advance,
Nick

pollito

Quote from: poulette73 on 09:36, 16 May 23Hello,

You can find all on this thread : cpcwiki.eu/forum/nc100-nc200-pcw-pda600/a-glut-of-software-manuals-etc-for-new-pcw-or-gotek-owners-enjoy-)/

Thank you, but I currently have no way of transferring the images from my PC to 3-inch discs.  :(

GeoffB17

If you've got an 8512, then you need the 8256/8512 disk set (2 disks, 4 sides).  The 9512 disks will be no use to you.

Have you any disks at all?  It would be useful to know if your A: drive works, can try to boot.  If you get disks, and then cannot read them, you've got a new problem?  The usual problem with the old machines is that the floppy drives use a rubber band, and the rubber will have deteriorated.  Just a few ££ to replace, and easily available, but it's a fiddly job and the innards of the drive may need careful cleaning.

Many people have taken the Gotek route, which would solve a number of problems for you.   If you do that, the 1.15 system mentioned above will cause new problems, you need a much older system, see discussions on the forum about this.

Geoff

pollito

Quote from: GeoffB17 on 14:30, 16 May 23If you've got an 8512, then you need the 8256/8512 disk set (2 disks, 4 sides).  The 9512 disks will be no use to you.

Have you any disks at all?  It would be useful to know if your A: drive works, can try to boot.  If you get disks, and then cannot read them, you've got a new problem?  The usual problem with the old machines is that the floppy drives use a rubber band, and the rubber will have deteriorated.  Just a few ££ to replace, and easily available, but it's a fiddly job and the innards of the drive may need careful cleaning.

Many people have taken the Gotek route, which would solve a number of problems for you.  If you do that, the 1.15 system mentioned above will cause new problems, you need a much older system, see discussions on the forum about this.

Geoff
Thanks that's good to know about the disc versions.

I have got some discs, but they are also at my parents' place - I don't live in the UK anymore and will be inspecting my new purchase when I visit them in a couple of weeks. Unfortunately my CPC 464's DDI-1 has the problem with the rubber band so I was thinking of replace that with a Gotek.

Thank you for the heads up about Goteks - I have also been thinking today about using one in the PCW, and keeping drive B: as it is. I didn't realise there are issues so I will investigate.

Kind regards,
Nick