News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

30.000 posts!

Started by Gryzor, 07:45, 23 September 11

Previous topic - Next topic

Gryzor

TotO

Who is the "winner" ? :D
"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

Ygdrazil

dragon

There is a gift to the post 30,000? :)

steve

OLD NEWS, it is now 30,032 including this post.

Maybe it is time for a little weeding so any new users do not have to read over 30,000 posts ;D

Ygdrazil

Maybe there should be a price for post number 100,000! :laugh:

/ygdrazil

Quote from: steve on 11:15, 23 September 11
OLD NEWS, it is now 30,032 including this post.

Maybe it is time for a little weeding so any new users do not have to read over 30,000 posts ;D

Ygdrazil

Does anyone remember how many posts that was lost when the CPCZONE went offline??  ???

/Ygdrazil

Bryce

All of them I suspect :D

Bryce.

norecess

Congrats ! Really happy for cpc wiki.

I only used to be really active here since 1st of January 2011 - only good, friendly, polite, respectful sharing.

I love you guys  :-*

Gryzor

@TotTO: unfortunately I don't know...  I don't keep so detailed logs :(

@Bryce: lol :D

@Ygrazil: indeed!!! I'm really happy the wiki has taken off in such a great way. And the forum stats for 2011 are even better from 2010 - which was, in itself, a huge improvement over 2009.

Though, to be sure, I'd have preferred it if we hadn't lost the Zone... Stupid Michael Jackson!!

Cholo

Congratulations everyone  :)

AMSDOS

You sort of need the Like Meter to kick in now just to see how useful the posts are!  :)

Is there some way of determining how many posts there were when the like meter was put in place? If so, you could get some ratios happening and produce some graphs!  :D
* Using the old Amstrad Languages :D   * with the Firmware :P
* I also like to problem solve code in BASIC :)   * And type-in Type-Ins! :D

Home Computing Weekly Programs
Popular Computing Weekly Programs
Your Computer Programs
Updated Other Program Links on Profile Page (Update April 16/15 phew!)
Programs for Turbo Pascal 3

Gryzor

Well, check the thread about the Likes system, then go to forum stats and see how many posts have been made since :)

AMSDOS

Quote from: Gryzor on 10:13, 25 September 11
Well, check the thread about the Likes system, then go to forum stats and see how many posts have been made since :)

When the Likes System was installed there were: 23,776 posts

Currently there is: 30,323 posts

Number of Likes posts initiated: 1,123. Calculated from this crude tally:

19 - 1
18 - 2
30 - 3
28 - 4
30 - 5
12 - 6
7 - 7
16 - 8
27 - 9
30 - 10
22 - 11
12 - 12
26 - 13
15 - 15
18 - 18
19 - 19
20 - 20
24 - 24
26 - 26
56 - 28
30 - 30
31 - 31
32- 32
33 - 33
37 - 37
38 - 38
71 - 71
76 - 76
97 - 97
195 - 195

If you deduct 30,323 from 23,776 you get 6,547 posts!

Of those 1,123 likes from 6,547 posts only 17% are liked.

That's speculation of course because there are bound to be posts which pre-date the Like System which have since recieved appreciation though aren't part of the 6,547 posts cause people have gone back to those threads and clicked Liked, so the percentage could be lower!  :o

Conclusion suggests the Liked system isn't liked enough!  :o  Or is simply neglected and a select group of people are only using it. Not good!  :'(

Your Computer Programs

Bryce

I don't agree. I think it's right to use the Liked button sparingly. If you click like on everything, then it loses it's value somehow. There are many posts I find good and agree with fully, but I only click the like button if I think the post is noteworthy due to content / humour or whatever.

Bryce.

Gryzor

That's what I came to write; CP/M, you probably understood the Like system wrong. It's not a matter of pointing out every single item we deem useful or interesting, but those we found they have something special to offer. It does not mean that 5 out of 6 posts are rubbish!!

AMSDOS

Quote from: Bryce on 11:01, 26 September 11
I don't agree. I think it's right to use the Liked button sparingly. If you click like on everything, then it loses it's value somehow. There are many posts I find good and agree with fully, but I only click the like button if I think the post is noteworthy due to content / humour or whatever.

Bryce.

Yes you could indeed argue for that, but then you could argue that the posts which are liked are being liked enough which is why I stated that this system is only being used by a select group. Otherwise there's the math, potentally you would also have to consider the memberbase and the number of regulars to consider in the math as well to determine how people visit the board regularly. At the rate it is at, at the moment though it suggests clearly some people are using it and there are those who don't, and yes there's the content - this is a forum which have many topics and subjects going back years, the content has to be relevant for people to be visiting - otherwise "see you later", and within that relevant content people can also choose to like it. Perhaps searching for it isn't in people's best interests!  ;D  I wouldn't be suggesting to like every post, though 17% that's sounding like a Dodgy Game!  ;D  Or perhaps people just don't like it!  ;)

Your Computer Programs

AMSDOS

Quote from: Gryzor on 11:06, 26 September 11
That's what I came to write; CP/M, you probably understood the Like system wrong. It's not a matter of pointing out every single item we deem useful or interesting, but those we found they have something special to offer. It does not mean that 5 out of 6 posts are rubbish!!

Wasn't intending on sounding as if it was rubbish, as Bryce points out there could be a number of reasons for that figure and it would certainally be a waste if everything was liked. I'm unsure, perhaps it's the number of active visiting members and liked posts which are drawing the kind of interest which a portion of the community would appreciate, that would deal with the relevance of the topic towards the Individual, some posts which have had interest from others, don't have the same deal of relevance to myself, though then you may have to consider that someone likes the post, but don't click their appreciation for that post using the Like System, it's possibly happening. No-one was suggesting that 5 out of 6 posts are rubbish which is the point I was making!  :)

Your Computer Programs

AMSDOS

Well I suppose what I've also forgot to mention in those statistics are the number of people which also plays a role:

19 - 1 (19 People)
18 - 2 (9 People)
30 - 3 (10 people)
28 - 4 (7 People)
30 - 5 (6 People)
12 - 6 (2 People)
7 - 7 (1 Person)
16 - 8 (2 People)
27 - 9 (3 People)
30 - 10 (3 People)
22 - 11 (2 People)
12 - 12 (1 Person)
26 - 13 (2 People)
15 - 15 (1 Person)
18 - 18 (1 Person)
19 - 19 (1 Person)
20 - 20 (1 Person)
24 - 24 (1 Person)
26 - 26 (1 Person)
56 - 28 (2 People)
30 - 30 (1 Person)
31 - 31 (1 Person)
32- 32 (1 Person)
33 - 33 (1 Person)
37 - 37 (1 Person)
38 - 38 (1 Person)
71 - 71 (1 Person)
76 - 76 (1 Person)
97 - 97 (1 Person)
195 - 195 (1 Person)

Total: 85 People

By contrast it appears better given there are 483 Members - percentage wise it's around 18% though given there are 137 Members which haven't posted at all, all of a sudden it's 346 people which have posted at least once and around a quarter of the active member base has at least contributed something valuable back to the community, if that seems fair! :)

Your Computer Programs

Ygdrazil

I wonder if there is a forum option that can be enabled to display active members within say 30 days!?

/Ygdrazil

steve

I don't think it matters whether people post or not, or even if they use the like button, the important thing is that they use the site.

Gryzor

Maybe there is, but I don't see a particular reason in it... For a second I toyed with the idea of expunging accounts with zero posts, but why bother anyway?

AMSDOS

Quote from: Ygdrazil on 12:31, 26 September 11
I wonder if there is a forum option that can be enabled to display active members within say 30 days!?

/Ygdrazil

I think when it comes to that, the information in that context is sensitive, I've noticed some forums will show a list of members who visited for that day, though I don't think that information is collected on a daily basis, it maybe used by admin to show how active the forum is?

Your Computer Programs

AMSDOS

So the Like system is quite subjective, it's been put there for the posts which hit the nail on the head though it doesn't necessarily mean that the rest is rubbish because there are lots of interesting posts, posts which meet the requirements for those who really see it's relevance, though there are also good posts as well which don't necessarily make it to the Like system.  :D 

Usually that's where a Scaling Like System can be really handy. The idea is every post can be rated like here, though a member can rate between No Stars and 5 Stars, I've seen some forums have this. Of course different people will mark accordingly. Though I think this was discussed when the current system was put in place.

Your Computer Programs

Bryce

There already is a scaled system in place. If a post gets one "Like" then it was useful for one person, if it gets 20 likes, then it was useful for many. Isn't that enough scaling?

Brace.