News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

About the downtime

Started by Gryzor, 08:41, 28 September 21

Previous topic - Next topic

Gryzor

Thanks for the kind words and the encouragement guys, I mean it🙂

Maniac

Quote from: Gryzor on 15:04, 28 September 21
Mobile view IMO, though lacking in features, offered a pretty nice mobile experience. Sure, every now and then I'd want to use a feature that was missing but basic functionality was there... so you were doing maybe 90% of the stuff you usually do at 100% instead of 100% of features at a 50% ease of use.

I'd like to add my vote to getting the mobile theme reinstalled. It makes the forum so much more accessible on a casual basis when looking at what new posts have been made. And it was always adaptable that if you needed a bit more functionality you could turn the phone to landscape as I am whilst I type this.

Gryzor

Well it just occurred to me, if you're not a fan of the mobile view then why not turn desktop mode on?

eto

Quote from: Gryzor on 19:47, 28 September 21
Well it just occurred to me, if you're not a fan of the mobile view then why not turn desktop mode on?

I did ... it still applied the same CSS so that elements vanished.

1024MAK

Ahh hah! You're back  :D

When I tried to access the wiki and then the forums several times over the weekend with no change, I feared that the site had suffered big problems.

Thanks @Gryzor for restoring the site  :) 

Mark
Looking forward to summer in Somerset :-)

Gryzor

Quote from: eto on 19:50, 28 September 21

I did ... it still applied the same CSS so that elements vanished.

Oh wow I wonder how it does that!

Gryzor

Testing inline attachments....

[attach=1]

...looks like it works?

pelrun

Quote from: Gryzor on 15:36, 28 September 21
Yeah that's their logic, naturally.

But if we do it on 80 then what happens with the web server's 80?
There's a few ways it can go. Many of them you'll have to set up a second external server that you can run sshd on port 80 or 443, rather than trying to do it all on the cpcwiki machine. A simple Pi at home with some port forwarding on the router is enough. Then you could ssh to the Pi and from there bounce through to wherever.

Quote from: Gryzor on 12:48, 29 September 21Testing inline attachments... ...looks like it works?

My RSS feed rendered it as the following...  :laugh:

nbsp [ You are not allowed to view this attachment ]  nbsp

Gryzor

Yeah well I posted the comment about SSH before actually reading the article (sorry) and I thought it was talking about changing the SSH port. Hence my question.

Yes I've considered such a solution, no Pi needed since I have my NAS running 24/7. However my double NAT structure (don't ask) has been causing troubles with port forwarding...

Never mind though, we'll either do it the Copilot way or try and find a web-based terminal that works well :)

As for the RSS, hm, could be a permissions issue so I'll check, but since this is a complex mod if it's not a permission then it'll be very hard to debug. I'm thinking it has to do with Guest access because your reader is reading the feed as a guest user. If so then logging out and checking out the thread in your browser should give the same result.

pelrun

I'm not concerned at all by the RSS issues (it still does the job I expect of it), it's mostly posted for amusement.  ;D

Gryzor

Eh, since we're at it ...

I confirmed it's a permissions thing with guests accounts, will find which one to touch.

Gryzor

By God the forum is fast now.

Sykobee (Briggsy)

Ahhh, the 'unread' function isn't built-in, that's nuts, the the primary feature of the forum!

Gryzor

@Sykobee (Briggsy) : no, it *is* built-in, just at a different place (top left, next to your avatar). I had just made it easier to access.

@pelrun : ah I remembered why it is so - a while back I disabled attachments for guests because sites outside the wiki were linking directly to the files and that pissed me off.

Sykobee (Briggsy)

Cheers. Well done on getting it all fixed, a lot of stress I'm sure!

GUNHED

Can we have "Answers" and "Unread" back please?
http://futureos.de --> Get the revolutionary FutureOS (Update: 2023.11.30)
http://futureos.cpc-live.com/files/LambdaSpeak_RSX_by_TFM.zip --> Get the RSX-ROM for LambdaSpeak :-) (Updated: 2021.12.26)

Gryzor

Gryzor

Quote from: Sykobee (Briggsy) on 15:45, 29 September 21
Cheers. Well done on getting it all fixed, a lot of stress I'm sure!

Haven't cursed so much in a long time😂

andycadley

Stellar job getting it all back up and running again. Huzzah for Gryzor.

Gryzor

Huzzah! Huzzah!

Erm... ok :D

Gryzor

eto

AAAAND the font size bug is back :-) Is that due to some add-on or is it part of the main forum software?

Gryzor

It's not back, it never left. However, theoretically if you use the quick reply box under the thread to reply it should not appear because I didn't enable the WYSIWYG editor there.

Gryzor

Oh look, we have reactions! I thought it'd be neat until we get to the next major version that has Likes built-in, but this looks too busy and, frankly, like shite. I can add/remove reactions, so let me know which I should keep (if any).

Cwiiis

Quote from: Gryzor on 10:09, 08 October 21
Oh look, we have reactions! I thought it'd be neat until we get to the next major version that has Likes built-in, but this looks too busy and, frankly, like shite. I can add/remove reactions, so let me know which I should keep (if any).

I say keep the thumbs up and remove everything else.