News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Forum installation and loss of functionality

Started by Gryzor, 12:08, 20 September 16

Previous topic - Next topic

Gryzor

...ok, take a look. Is that the functionality?

seanb

Yep.  :D
But it's all squashed to the left.
Even I feel like I've reached a point where I'm being nowt more than a pain in the arse  :'(
Thou shall not question Captain Wrong!

Gryzor

For the love of God, leave me a couple of minutes to breathe :D

I think I fixed it, please check.

seanb

That's it  ;D  :-*
But it isn't alphabetical. I'm joking

You're going to ban me now aren't you :-[
Thou shall not question Captain Wrong!

Gryzor

1024MAK

That's better  :D

Looking like it should now. And a lot easier to dip in and out of  :P

Mark
Looking forward to summer in Somerset :-)

Duke

Quote from: 1024MAK on 15:18, 22 September 16
That's better  :D

Looking like it should now. And a lot easier to dip in and out of  :P

Mark
Yes !!! Glad the "Recent Forum Topics" is back. Thanks for the good work @Gryzor

Gryzor

Thanks for the comments guys :)

Oh, also, check it out: the forum now produces valid desktop notifications (for browsers that support it)!

gerald

Quote from: Gryzor on 12:01, 22 September 16
Most monitors are wide and pretty large these days, making the viewable area 100% of the viewport way too wide for comfortable reading.             
Right if you consider that all  user use they browser in full screen. That's clearly not my case and I am sure I am not the only one  ;)
Now I have to use more of my real estate to see as much as before  :picard:
If at least you can make sure you use 100% width up to 1280 pixel wide  :)

Quote from: Gryzor on 12:01, 22 September 16
Same as with every web site...
You mean that next step is to have a fullscreen picture that zoom and darken on mouse hoover, with only a register now as home page :picard2: :laugh:
Most of the sites that does this 80% thing is to reserve space for skinning (read advertising)

Gryzor

No, unfortunately I can only set it to either a fixed px width or a percentage of the viewport...

And to reply to your edit, no; it's the same reason newspapers use multiple columns instead of having text going from one side of the page to the other...

Maniac

I've been v impressed with how transparent this reinstall has been. Excellent work @Gryzor !

I'm afraid that at the moment the Timeline feature in Tapatalk isn't working but was earlier today. Not sure what drives this though but thought I'd mention it in case it helps.

Gryzor

I hate, hate, hate Tapatalk. Always problems. Didn't touch a thing, and the Tapatalk control panel on their site half reports it's all right, half says it can't find the plugin. I'll try some more... seems to work for other functions and not the timeline, have no fucking idea how that would be possible.

...but, thanks for your kind words :D

Bryce

I was going to report the Tapatalk issues to you, but looks like you already know :)

One other issue I have. When I load the page I get a window asking whether this site is allowed give me notifications. All ok if I say yes and the notifications work. However, if I say "Not now" it re-asks the question every time I change post/thread/page within the Forum. Extremely annoying.

Bryce.

Gryzor

This is a browser issue, I believe. The question does not come from the forum, but from the browser. The forum tries to push a notification regardless, it's the browser that accepts or denies it. Can you take a look at your prefs?

Bryce

Yes, but it didn't do that before the re-install and other Forums don't have this problem. I have found a way to block it at the moment, but it means browsing with settings that I don't like using.

Bryce.

Gryzor

Notifications didn't even work before, so that's no surprise :D

Works just fine for me with Chrome or Opera; I denied notifications once, hasn't asked me again despite furious F5ing or clicking on random pages. I must assume it's your browser settings.

As I said (please correct me anyone if I'm wrong) notifications are pushed regardless, it's up to the browser to decide what it does with them.

Bryce

Can we go back to them not working at all perhaps? :)

Bryce.

TotO

I love the new forum!!!  :-*
Because nothing changed...  ;D
"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

Gryzor

I'm now using Firefox (47.01), after denying notifications I get no prompts, @Bryce ... I'd say definitely something with your system?

@TotO : heh, that was the intention :)

Gryzor

Youtube embedding added. Why was I sure I had already done this?

It now has a bit more functionality, as apart from the normal, old YT button there are two more that will embed YT searches and YT users.

tastefulmrship

Quote from: arnoldemu on 07:59, 21 September 16
Take away the shoutbox and just give @SuTeKH/Epyteor
and @Mav their own thread  ;D

Not sure if is this a compliment or an insult. *confused face*
*smiley face*

Gryzor

MaV

Black Mesa Transit Announcement System:
"Work safe, work smart. Your future depends on it."

Bryce

Quote from: Gryzor on 09:10, 23 September 16
I'm now using Firefox (47.01), after denying notifications I get no prompts, @Bryce ... I'd say definitely something with your system?

@TotO : heh, that was the intention :)

So am I, but I use the private browsing option which doesn't allow me to block it permanently. It offers "accept notifications" (which I don't want) or "Not now" which results in the question being re-asked on every click.

And btw: Not sure if it's due to the current changes you are doing, but the famous "CPCWiki Forum delay" is still there.

Bryce.

Edit: One last comment: Does the Forum have to be soo skinny? I feel like I'm reading a shopping list and a huge part of the screen is just being used as a blank border.

Gryzor

Well that's a very peculiar use, in the sense that how many users browse the forum in private tabs... (I guess it kind of makes sense to not save site prefs when in incognito mode!).

So far, at least for me there has only been one single delay ( a few minutes ago) when we run some updates on the server, other than that I haven't seen the slightest problem...

And the "huge part of the screen" is actually 20% :D Width is set at 80% for reasons discussed above. I'll see about making it 85% maybe.