News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Hisoft

Started by AMSDOS, 08:24, 26 March 13

Previous topic - Next topic

AMSDOS

I've added some information to the Discussion page for Hisoft since I recently found out the Company were still Running and had a Website and that David Link is still there from those early days. I sent them an email, but they didn't reply, though were happy to acknowledge the History they had with the Spectrum, Amstrad and some of those other 80s computers from back in the day on their site. I wasn't able to add the information I had about them to the Main Page:

Talk:Hisoft - CPCWiki
* Using the old Amstrad Languages :D   * with the Firmware :P
* I also like to problem solve code in BASIC :)   * And type-in Type-Ins! :D

Home Computing Weekly Programs
Popular Computing Weekly Programs
Your Computer Programs
Updated Other Program Links on Profile Page (Update April 16/15 phew!)
Programs for Turbo Pascal 3

Gryzor

This is really interesting, maybe someone could use the info to get an interview or something?

Why couldn't you insert it to the main article? Page is not locked...

AMSDOS

Quote from: Gryzor on 12:43, 26 March 13
This is really interesting, maybe someone could use the info to get an interview or something?

Why couldn't you insert it to the main article? Page is not locked...

The page wouldn't allow me to edit the opening line to include what they do today. It just doesn't make sense to only have:

"Hisoft was a British software company. Released many serious programming packages."

They might be interested in an interview, though it might need a great deal of people to convince them that there's something worth interviewing for. They might just be extremely busy since they haven't replied to my email, though I cannot exclude that they are drawing a :blank:  about the good ol' days.  :o

Your Computer Programs

AMSDOS

Ok, I've updated the Hisoft Page, and I've also created a page about their Art in Pascal program. Some of that page maybe speculative because nobody is talking to me. Rather than waiting, I find the "do something" approach and spreading the gossip will stir up business.  ;D

Your Computer Programs

Gryzor

AMSDOS

Thanks. Just one question, how can I add a Contents bit to the Art in Pascal page? I had a look at other pages, but found nothing to suggest that they should have them and yet their there. Is it a permissions thing?

Your Computer Programs

Bryce

The Contents you're talking about is automatically generated when you include headings at the beginning of each paragraph. ie: You add equals signs before and after the Heading: == Description ==

Bryce.

Edit: Hmmm, just checked the source of the page and everything looks fine, the contents are also displayed on the right in edit mode, but aren't showing up in the finished page... Gryzor!

AMSDOS

Quote from: Bryce on 09:27, 04 April 13
The Contents you're talking about is automatically generated when you include headings at the beginning of each paragraph. ie: You add equals signs before and after the Heading: == Description ==

Bryce.

Edit: Hmmm, just checked the source of the page and everything looks fine, the contents are also displayed on the right in edit mode, but aren't showing up in the finished page... Gryzor!

Should I have a short descriptions before the Headings perhaps?

Hmm, moved my first short Paragraph, though hasn't made any difference.

Your Computer Programs

Bryce

Ok, I just did some experimenting with the page. It seems that you have to have at least 4 headings before the software creates a contents list. Obviously it thinks that a mere 3 headings doesn't warrant a list? :D

Either way, I've added a "Download" Heading at the bottom, which is there purely to make the contents list appear.

Bryce.

db6128

QuoteIf you have three or fewer headings but want to have a TOC, write either the magic word __FORCETOC__ anywhere on the page to make it display at the default location, or __TOC__ at the preferred position.
mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:Table_of_contents Will the forum finally work to let me place a link? Who knows... Edit: Yeah, OK, apparently it doesn't like people including the http:// in the linking text, I guess.
Quote from: Devilmarkus on 13:04, 27 February 12
Quote from: ukmarkh on 11:38, 27 February 12[The owner of one of the few existing cartridges of Chase HQ 2] mentioned to me that unless someone could find a way to guarantee the code wouldn't be duplicated to anyone else, he wouldn't be interested.
Did he also say things like "My treasureeeeee" and is he a little grey guy?

Bryce

"If you have three or fewer headings but want to have a TOC, write either the magic word __FORCETOC__ anywhere on the page to make it display at the default location, or __TOC__ at the preferred position."

Or add a pointless Download heading at the end to make the numbers :D

Bryce.

AMSDOS

Hmmm, okay Thanks.  :D

I also added a few Blah, blah, blahs to the Hisoft Pascal page. Wasn't sure if this page was made just as a general descriptions page about the Family of Hisoft Pascal compilers, or if it was meant to be a page about the Disc version of Hisoft Pascal 4T - which was simply called "Hisoft Pascal". Notoriously there are other names for this compiler as well.  ???  But I didn't see any pages for those, so I'm just treating the Hisoft Pascal 4T as the main page for it, since it is its original name.  :D

Your Computer Programs

Gryzor

Heh, glad you figured it out, sorry I didn't see it earlier. Btw, there's also __NOTOC__ (those switches are usually placed at the very top, incidentally) to forego the table of contents altogether.

Link: http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:Table_of_contents . I'd say it works.

AMSDOS

I've updated the Hisoft Pascal 4T page which now includes a snapshot of this compiler along with the tutorial guide which was in the AMSOFT Software and Peripherals Catalogue Winter 1984/5.

The tutorial, "Soft 925 Introducing PASCAL for the CPC464" seems to be another collectors item, it's possible that this might of also been called "The Hisoft Guide to Pascal" as well. My details are very vague about this Guide though, so the detail I have got about it can be found on that page.  ;D

Your Computer Programs

AMSDOS

Quote from: AMSDOS on 12:43, 10 April 13
I've updated the Hisoft Pascal 4T page which now includes a snapshot of this compiler along with the tutorial guide which was in the AMSOFT Software and Peripherals Catalogue Winter 1984/5.

Also from this site, I linked articles from early issues of ACU which seems to help connect some of the gaps between languages and articles on them and it seemed to look good on the Hisoft Turbo BASIC page.

Your Computer Programs