News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Service Manual for BASF 6138 upload

Started by SerErris, 20:24, 22 September 23

Previous topic - Next topic

SerErris

Hi,

I found the service manual for the BASF 6138 5,25" drive, that is typically build into the Vortex drives.

As I now have one (F1-X) and it is not working, I needed the service manual.

So now I have it and as always like to share it. Unfortunately it is 4MB and I can only upload up to 2MB.

Anyone has rights to upload larger files and help me with upload the file to the wiki?

Thanks
Ser
Proud owner of 2 Schneider CPC 464, 1 Schneider CPC 6128, GT65 and lots of books
Still learning all the details on how things work.

robcfg

Gryzor

Present!

So, yeah, maybe the 2MB limit is low nowadays. Are you trying to upload here or on the wiki? 

Poliander

Is it different from the manual I attached to the Vortex Disc Drives Wiki page? If I remember correctly, a BASF 6139 is inside the F1-X and the 6138 is for F1-D/S models.
Schneider CPC 664 • X-MEM • Vortex F1-X Drive • CTM 644 • DMP 2160
Schneider CPC 6128 • Z-MEM • M4 Board • MultiPlay + Amiga Mouse • OSSC

SerErris

Yes it is different ..

I try to upload to the wiki.

Here is the link:
https://www.retrocmp.de/fdd/basf/6128/basf-6128_6138_ocr.pdf

This one containes all the schematics and even how the drive actually works. A full blown service manual as you would expect from that time, so that you can fully service the drive (who is doing that nowadays?)
Proud owner of 2 Schneider CPC 464, 1 Schneider CPC 6128, GT65 and lots of books

Poliander

I remember, I failed, too, as I tried to upload this file to the Wiki. Could you make a picture of the 6138 drive inside your F1-X? I am still pretty sure that in F1-X(RS) drives the 6139 was being used which is ~1cm shorter in length and has a complete different circuitry. Really curious to know!

SerErris

Quote from: Poliander on 05:16, 23 September 23Is it different from the manual I attached to the Vortex Disc Drives Wiki page? If I remember correctly, a BASF 6139 is inside the F1-X and the 6138 is for F1-D/S models.
Oh, you are right - it is a 6139 ...

That is pretty bad for me - however still great for 6138 owners.

Anyone ever have seen the same manual for 6139?

Poliander

Quote from: SerErris on 11:43, 23 September 23
Quote from: Poliander on 05:16, 23 September 23Is it different from the manual I attached to the Vortex Disc Drives Wiki page? If I remember correctly, a BASF 6139 is inside the F1-X and the 6138 is for F1-D/S models.
Oh, you are right - it is a 6139 ...

That is pretty bad for me - however still great for 6138 owners.

Anyone ever have seen the same manual for 6139?

Sadly not, and I really tried very hard. Interestingly, there are also two radically different revisions of the 6138 in the F1-D/S drives and the F1-Z drive. What's the problem with your drive? Fixing the head loading mechanism is same for all drives...

SerErris

My issue are/were:

1. Powersupply dead - actually not the right power output on both 5V and 12V.
2. Head carriage was stuck. I freed it up, cleaned it and greased it.

Now with another powersupply (for the moment) it works great again. Fully functionally.

As soon as I have repared the original powersupply, that will make it a complete whole drive.

Luckily I do not have to recalibrate it or anything, as that would be a nightmare as all the pins you need to measure are different. So JP namings are different, connections of Chips are different. Without a proper service manual that will be very dificult.

Is there actually anything specific on the drive? Could it not be any DD drive?

SerErris

Hmpf, the worst part of the document I linked is, that it has the schematic scanned folded.  :doh: So it has not been unfolded before scanning, it is just in A4 format and it should be unfolded A3. 

Who does that.

Bryce

Quote from: SerErris on 20:24, 22 September 23Hi,

I found the service manual for the BASF 6138 5,25" drive, that is typically build into the Vortex drives.

As I now have one (F1-X) and it is not working, I needed the service manual.

So now I have it and as always like to share it. Unfortunately it is 4MB and I can only upload up to 2MB.

Anyone has rights to upload larger files and help me with upload the file to the wiki?

Thanks
Ser

It may be encoded in an older or less efficient pdf format. Have you tried re-encoding the file with PDF24 or even a simple "Print to PDF" in windows? Sometimes the files get a lot smaller when you do that.

Bryce.

Gryzor

So, do I upload it or not? :)

Anyhow, upped the upload limit to 8MB. Hope this works!