News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Upload bigger PDFs

Started by Cpcmaniaco, 09:24, 02 June 07

Previous topic - Next topic

Cpcmaniaco

How can I upload bigger pdfs?

I want to make manuals on pdf but I can't upload because are bigger for the limit of the server.

If you want (Gryzor) I can send you the pdf by email and you probably can upload them.

Or it's possible to modify the limit of the upload a pdf file.

Thanks.

Gryzor

I think there is a limit indeed, will have to check out where it is set. WHat size is your file?

Cpcmaniaco

Well, now I have prepared :

Fun School 3 - for the Unders 5s.pdf         ( 16 pages with color )    6,5 Mb
    Fun School 4 - for the Unders 5s.pdf         ( 16 pages with color )    6,2 Mb
    Fun School 4 - for 5 to 7 Years Olds.pdf    ( 24 pages with color )    7,4 Mb
    Fun School 4 - for 7 to 11 Years Olds.pdf   ( 24 pages with color )    8,5 Mb

and

PAWS - Introduction Manual.pdf   ( 58 pages in B/W and 2 covers in color )  2,2 Mb
    PAWS - Technical Guide.pdf         ( 64 pages in B/W and 2 covers in color )  2,1 Mb

Of course I have all the single pages.

But for exemple I scan the text pages in Tiff 2 colors Black and White 300 dpi because you can read very well, has a small size than jpg and you can make easily OCR if you want.

But I can't upload tiffs here.

And I prefer the manuals are in a pdf file than in single pages.

CPCLER

Hi Gryzor...

It wouldn't be a nice thing to raise the size of files sizes especially PDF!
I to have a lot of PDF files that I really think should be uploaded to the WIKI, and haven't done so yet because of the limitation!

Not to be to demanding.. but while you're at it tinkering with the setup files. :-)

Please allow other file types to be uploaded as well: .mp3, .mp4, .dsk and .zip files!

And of course the .tiff format as well, I think CPCMANICO has a point. Maybe sometime in the future, another person finds the time to OCR the manual, and then it would be super if it simply means downloading the stuff of the wiki!

By the way nice to see the word cloud working!

Regards,
CPCLER

Gryzor

Heya guys, apologies for not having looked into it, past couple of weeks have been quite busy! Tonight also is football (ok, soccer?) time, so not even today, probably tomorrow?

I will up the limit of files and will try (once again...) to allow more filetypes: maybe this time, with the latest and much improved mediawiki software it will allow me to do so at last!

Don't know about tiff though! Tiff may be smaller than jpg because jpg is a true-color format. See how low you can go with gif though!!!

Cpcmaniaco

But Tiffs inside a pdf file looks fine I think.

And download a pdf with all the pages of the manual instead download page by page is better I think too.

What is your oppinion ?

It's true that when I make a page and put the manual on pdf, the page don't look so beautiful because I don't put many things on the page but all the information necesary are on the manual I think, and another person can complete the page with comments.

I prefer use my time making more usefull manuals that only a few persons have.

Gryzor

Yes, but if you put TIFFs in a PDF you upload the pdf, not the tiffs :) That's not a problem - TIFF offers good compression indeed, but it's not as popular/common as gif, and there's no need to offer tiff files by themselves...

Maybe you mean something else that I don't understand?