News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

A little Winter Demo by Leosoft

Started by arnolde, 00:02, 29 December 23

Previous topic - Next topic

arnolde

This is not really a demo, rather a little interactive "seasons greetings" to all Amstradanians out there. It started with me watching too much videos about "Elite" on Youtube and trying to make my own little 3D engine from scratch.
Have fun and enjoy the holidays!

ervin

That is very cool!
Nice work.

lightforce6128

For our small CPC this is a quite big number of drawn lines. Because the graphics can be influenced, preprocessing is limited.

How did you apply all the necessary multiplications fast enough?

XeNoMoRPH

your amstrad news source in spanish language : https://auamstrad.es

Kris

arnolde

Quote from: lightforce6128 on 02:47, 29 December 23Because the graphics can be influenced, preprocessing is limited.

How did you apply all the necessary multiplications fast enough?
There is indeed no preprocessing at all except for the sin/cos lookup table.
The precision is reduced to the minimum necessary, mostly 8-bit multiplications, the image is not in perspective (z coordinate is not rendered)

The drawing routine only works on a 32 character wide screen and with coordinates from -128 to 127. The routine doesn't check if a line goes over the border and doesn't clip either.

So to get the whole thing to work in a real game will be another task...

norecess464

Very nice Kevin ! Great little prod, and I guess you had lots of fun to implement this.

On a side note, is "Leosoft" your new nickname?
My personal website: https://norecess.cpcscene.net
My current project is Sonic GX, a remake of Sonic the Hedgehog for the awesome Amstrad GX-4000 game console!

arnolde

Quote from: norecess464 on 12:02, 29 December 23Very nice Kevin ! Great little prod, and I guess you had lots of fun to implement this.

On a side note, is "Leosoft" your new nickname?
Oh, It's an honour to be mistaken for Kevin Thacker! But I'm a different person ;-) I chose the handle "arnolde" without knowing that it's very similar to Kevin's "arnoldemu", because actually it's an anagramme of my real name Leonard.
Thank's for the compliment anyways   

BSC

That's a lovely little piece of art. How did you create your models and transfer them onto the CPC? I started working on a 3d engine looong ago and feel intrigued to revive it :)
** My SID player/tracker AYAY Kaeppttn! on github **  Some CPC music and experiments ** Other music ** More music on scenestream (former nectarine) ** Some shaders ** Some Soundtrakker tunes ** Some tunes in Javascript

My hardware: ** Schneider CPC 464 with colour screen, 64k extension, 3" and 5,25 drives and more ** Amstrad CPC 6128 with M4 board, GreaseWeazle.

norecess464

Quote from: arnolde on 12:09, 29 December 23
Quote from: norecess464 on 12:02, 29 December 23On a side note, is "Leosoft" your new nickname?
Oh, It's an honour to be mistaken for Kevin Thacker! But I'm a different person ;-)
Ahaha opps. :picard: :laugh:

Making a 3D engine is absolutely not an easy task, as it requires great skills of Z80 programming. Congratulations!
My personal website: https://norecess.cpcscene.net
My current project is Sonic GX, a remake of Sonic the Hedgehog for the awesome Amstrad GX-4000 game console!

arnolde

Quote from: BSC on 13:03, 29 December 23How did you create your models and transfer them onto the CPC?
I was in fact searching the internet for ready-made simple wireframe models, but they all had way too much vertices and lines.
Also, I tried and asked ChatGPT to model me the head of Santa Claus in 3D but that as well was above it's abilities. 
So I ended up with simpler geometric forms and the good old grid paper and pencil method. The base coordinates are rectangles, hexagons or octogons so that wasn't hard to calculate. For projecting "2024" on a cylinder, I wrote a little Locomotive Basic program (which actually gave me a different result than expected...)

GUNHED

http://futureos.de --> Get the revolutionary FutureOS (Update: 2023.11.30)
http://futureos.cpc-live.com/files/LambdaSpeak_RSX_by_TFM.zip --> Get the RSX-ROM for LambdaSpeak :-) (Updated: 2021.12.26)

eliot

A nice surprise! Go on with so nice things... ;) 

Longshot

Nice rendering. Congratulations on your first 3D engine. 
Rhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!

Targhan

Very nice! This is pretty smooth. This could indeed be used in Elite II!

The music has already been uploaded to the Radio :).
Targhan/Arkos

Arkos Tracker 2.0.1 now released! - Follow the news on Twitter!
Disark - A cross-platform Z80 disassembler/source converter
FDC Tool 1.1 - Read Amsdos files without the system

Imperial Mahjong
Orion Prime

arnolde

Quote from: Targhan on 17:12, 01 January 24The music has already been uploaded to the Radio
Let's hope we don't get a copyright claim from the heirs of Mr. Anderson ;D

Optimus

Great, nice to see some people trying 3d on CPC. Not many demos like that.