News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Amstrad 2 player games via serial cable / RS232 interface

Started by Xyphoe, 06:31, 06 September 12

Previous topic - Next topic

Xyphoe

Just by chance I came across a game (again thank you to the CPC Power suggestion box!) that allowed two CPC's to be linked together via RS232 for a 2 player game!

TT Racer from Digital Integration
http://www.cpc-power.com/index.php?page=detail&num=2306

I was wondering if there were any other games that had this feature and if anyone has tried it out before?

Gryzor

Huh, how interesting. I wonder how many players got to enjoy multiplayer...

arnoldemu

Quote from: Gryzor on 15:15, 07 September 12
Huh, how interesting. I wonder how many players got to enjoy multiplayer...
2 at a time? ;)
My games. My Games
My website with coding examples: Unofficial Amstrad WWW Resource

Devilmarkus

When you put your ear on a hot stove, you can smell how stupid you are ...

Amstrad CPC games in your webbrowser

JavaCPC Desktop Full Release

MacDeath

The PLUS could perhaps handle even more thx to the Analog controler port ?

I remember the CPC "netwok" (what's its name ? can't remember)* solution had a few games like some sort of Bomberman lone...

Concerning those race games, multi-machione multiplayer may be a nice solution, because it let you have a screen for only one player, perhaps less things to handle for the machine than a split screen.

Having more players than two may need one machine dedicated asa  server, yet the Game Engine should ensure to need the fewest possible handshakes and CPU/frame wastes possible.

A Xybot clone (with a better realisation though, perhaps even in mode0) could be nice too.

Turn by turn games like Heroquest so wargames and/or tactical RPG/dunjonbashers could be fun but having additional machine is not clearly needed and less convivial, but good in Versus mode as it helps for the "fog of war".

via serial cable / RS232 interface is the simplest way, not especially the fastest nor better than a real "internet" way, but easier to achieve.

Thomson machines (MO5/MO6/TO7/TO8) used to have a decent network solution called the NanoReseau ("nanonetwork").
Would be nice to see if such sort of system could be ported on CPC and see if it would be actually interesting compaired to existing solution.

*Virtual Net 96

SyX

Gryzor

Hm, nice choice of a game for a two-player option. No chess titles?