News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Amstrad You Tube Videos

Started by Flonky_Tash, 23:54, 02 June 12

Previous topic - Next topic

Flonky_Tash

Hi, I'm new to this forum.  I have a series called "Stephen Lambert's Flonky Tash" and my past three episodes I've been playing some Amstrad games and sort of reviewing them. Thought I'd share them with some fellow Amstrad fans :)

Here's "Doors of Doom" [size=78%]
Flonky Tash - Doors of Doom[/size]

Here's "Roland in Time" [size=78%]
Flonky Tash - Roland In Time[/size]

and here's "Qabbalah" [size=78%]
Flonky Tash - Qabbalah[/size]

ENJOY!!

By the way, I'm not a real game reviewer and none of this is to be taken seriously, just did it for a laugh :)
If it isn't broken - make it better.

Cholo

Quite funny to watch  ;) Those early Amsoft title are indeed pretty bad (most of em at least). If i recall right Amsoft simply payed others to program some games fast so they didnt really need to make any games themselves .. except perhaps slapping on a "Roland" and "Amsoft" logo everywhere.

As you mentioned in one of the videos .. probably no one has ever finished any of the games as well (either too hard or the game has no ending etc). I definately recall that Blagger being virtual impossible to complete and i really doubt the game programmers took time to actually playtest the games at all (thankfully Blagger has a build in lvl skip or youd be stuck)

Axelino

Very funny  ;)

Subscribed !

Carnivius

For a CPC game released in 1985 I think Doors of Doom has pretty nice graphics.  There's some decent animation and things like trees and grass are well rendered.   Certainly it's graphics appeal to me a lot more than some modern indie games I could mention that seem to think 'less is more'.
Favorite CPC games: Count Duckula 3, Oh Mummy Returns, RoboCop Resurrection, Tankbusters Afterlife

Flonky_Tash

Hey thanks for watching! :) Gonna be doing some more pretty soon

Devilmarkus

Also subscribed :P

Like your way of humour! Keep goin' ;)
When you put your ear on a hot stove, you can smell how stupid you are ...

Amstrad CPC games in your webbrowser

JavaCPC Desktop Full Release

Flonky_Tash

New video in the making! Should be uploading it tomorrow night. The video is quite a long one this time, I'm covering 4 games...rubbish ones :D haha

Gryzor

Hey mate, can I add your channel's RSS feed to the forum, so new videos are automatically posted here? That is, if you're planning to do more CPC-related vids...

Flonky_Tash

Yeah sure dude, please do :)

Flonky_Tash

Flonky Tash - Crap Games My latest video! I talk about 4 games this time, "Home Runner" "Surprise Surprise" "Blagger" and "Sir Lancelot". ENJOY!

ivarf

Quote from: Flonky_Tash on 18:58, 15 June 12

Flonky Tash - Crap Games My latest video! I talk about 4 games this time, "Home Runner" "Surprise Surprise" "Blagger" and "Sir Lancelot". ENJOY!

Hands up everybody that felt good when Home Runner showed up on the screen. My hands is up! :)  All the good memories from the Amsoft/Amstrad  Welcome Tape
But still, I was bored after watching 30 seconds of Home Runner. They showed us just enough with the welcometape.

The Surprise Surprise intro seems to be something I would have coded back then, or at least could have :) Who coded and released it? I have never heard about it or seen it before. Thats quite rare...  Am extemly collectable turkey and an interestlingly bad game :) Love the music  :laugh: 

Blagger was quite fun and playable back then. I remember enjoying it a lot. A difficult game

Sir Lancelot looks like a decent early game.

Thanks for the video. It was good fun :) Subscriebed!

ralferoo

Oh, this Roland in the Caves video had me in tears at some points (especially 4:28 to 5:10ish):
Roland In The Caves on Amstrad CPC 464 vintage home computer. Gameplay & Commentary

Flonky_Tash

hehehehehe the video was ace :) Good ol' Roland....the most inconsistent game character of all time :P

Cholo

Good ol' Blagger. Its one of those games where i think something was "lost in translation" or programmer forgot to calculate screeen size or something. Games was difficult back then no doubt and pixel perfect jumping from the very edges of the platforms wasnt uncommon practice.

Still, im pretty sure lvl 3 on the amstrad is missing a couple of pixels on at least one of the platforms. I wasnt sure back in the days, but after watching some c64 and BBC youtube videos its quite clear there are jumps you are supposed to be doing but simply cant because the platforms are too short. Also the length you can drop without dying is notably longer on the c64 version.

The A+L+SPACE cheat is probably one of the only cheat ive ever found myself simply from mashing all the buttons in anger. By seeing all the other levels, you also ask yourself why they chose this order of the levels as some of the later ones (like lvl 2) is quite easy and could have been put in first instead of that fairly hard lvl 1.

Gryzor

Quote from: ralferoo on 15:47, 18 June 12
Oh, this Roland in the Caves video had me in tears at some points (especially 4:28 to 5:10ish):
Roland In The Caves on Amstrad CPC 464 vintage home computer. Gameplay & Commentary
This part actually had me LOLing... sorry :D

Carnivius

I've always liked Roland in the Caves.  It's frustrating sure but that pterodactyl thing used to haunt me like a true nemesis that made me want to beat it (even though I never did) which is something I find lacking in a lot of games even these days.  I don't need to know anything about the bad guy, I don't need him to say anything... all he needs to be is a formidable threat and that damn pterodactyl always was.
Favorite CPC games: Count Duckula 3, Oh Mummy Returns, RoboCop Resurrection, Tankbusters Afterlife

Flonky_Tash

NEW VIDEOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!! This time I look at City Slicker: 
Flonky Tash - City Slicker

Travis P

I remember playing City Slicker on an Amstrad Action covertape and no. I couldn't get far into the game myself.

Flonky_Tash

Quote from: Travis P on 20:23, 27 June 12
I remember playing City Slicker on an Amstrad Action covertape and no. I couldn't get far into the game myself.

Yeah I think I originally had it on a cover tape too. It's a pile of septic turd!

Flonky_Tash

By the way I'm on Facebook too...

here's the Flonky Tash page: Stephen Lambert's Flonky Tash | Facebook

and here's me personal page: http://www.facebook.com/lambert.sundials

Feel free to add me or whatever :)

Devilmarkus

Shitty Licker is cool  8)
When you put your ear on a hot stove, you can smell how stupid you are ...

Amstrad CPC games in your webbrowser

JavaCPC Desktop Full Release

mr_lou

How are you recording the CPC feed? The quality is very poor.

Generally I like your vids. I was missing something similar to The Irate Gamer, for the CPC platform.
Some constructive criticism: Focus a bit more on the humour, and less on 'angry complaints'. I love the beginning of Roland in Time for example, where you play Daley Thomson. But expressions like "Christ on a shitstick" isn't funny to me. (Irate Gamer does the same sadly).

I think it's ok to make fun of these games. But at the same time, having played them as a kid they have big nostalgic value to me. And it's fine to just call them "childrens games". Cozy, simple, relaxing, etc.

It would be more fun to make fun of games because of their impossible-to-play-or-complete'ness, rather than their simple gameplay.

One thing I like about Irate Gamer, is that he is very thorough. When he tests, he does it 100%. Your vids seem a bit short and feels like they're lacking something.

But I'm looking forward to your next one.  :)

Flonky_Tash

Quote from: mr_lou on 16:33, 29 June 12
How are you recording the CPC feed? The quality is very poor.

Generally I like your vids. I was missing something similar to The Irate Gamer, for the CPC platform.
Some constructive criticism: Focus a bit more on the humour, and less on 'angry complaints'. I love the beginning of Roland in Time for example, where you play Daley Thomson. But expressions like "Christ on a shitstick" isn't funny to me. (Irate Gamer does the same sadly).

I think it's ok to make fun of these games. But at the same time, having played them as a kid they have big nostalgic value to me. And it's fine to just call them "childrens games". Cozy, simple, relaxing, etc.

It would be more fun to make fun of games because of their impossible-to-play-or-complete'ness, rather than their simple gameplay.

One thing I like about Irate Gamer, is that he is very thorough. When he tests, he does it 100%. Your vids seem a bit short and feels like they're lacking something.

But I'm looking forward to your next one.  :)

Hey dude, thanks for the constructive criticism :) I'm not trying to be like Irate Gamer or anyone, (I'm more of a fan of AVGN anyway).

As i said like, I'm NOT a proper game reviewer, just doing this as a bit of a laugh y'know, but I've taken your comments into consideration. I don't really plan my videos at all, I just sort of play 'em and see what comes out. "Christ on a shit-stick" just sort of came out randomly i guess.

The games are nostalgic to me too, which is why I bother with them still haha, i'm a very nostalgic guy, i live in the past hehe :)

But thank you for paying attention to my videos dude :) and thanks again for the constructive criticism :)

Flonky_Tash

Oh yeah, and to record my footage, I use WinCPC, my preferred emulator. I used to use Caprice32, but the new version I can't use because it's like open source or something and I have no programming skills hehe. I just record a screen capture using Hypercam2 as well. Then I edit stuff together using Adobe Premiere. I know the quality is a bit shitty, but I think I've worked out why, so the next video might be better.

Cheers dude :)

mr_lou

Quote from: Flonky_Tash on 02:33, 30 June 12I'm not trying to be like Irate Gamer or anyone, (I'm more of a fan of AVGN anyway).

Normally I hate when people just copy someone. (Like Microsoft "creating" Java and calling it .NET).
I know AVGN came first, and that Irate Game copied a lot of his stuff. So normally I would stay away from Irate Gamer because of my strong politics about copying someone else. But in this case I just can't deny that Irate Gamer does a much better job. AVGN is mostly about swearing and coming up with dirty words, while Irate Gamer is a bit more professional... a bit... still too much trying to impress people by expressing how much he'd rather eat poo from a donkey than play a certain game though.

I love when Irate Gamer tests/reviews one of the old games. He goes into lots of debt, knows a bit of the history of (the origin of) the game, and his videos are just overall complete. See his Tetris video for example.
Another thing that makes Irate Gamer videos much better than AVGN is the noticeable love and passion Irate Gamer has for the games. While he does bash the games, it's still clear to see that he does infact love the games. When looking at AVGN videos, there's no love or passion. He just has a dull sad face throughout every video. Don't go that way.

Doing a great video for an Amstrad CPC game like e.g. Radzone, would take lots and lots of time. Huge game with lots and lots of screens. I would probably need a month myself to make a decent video of a game like that, because of its size, and the time required to get to the various quirks I would complain about. But I also know Radzone a lot, since I played it a lot as a kid, and it has strong nostalgic value to me today. I think, knowing the game since childhood, will help make the video better, since you'll then have the love and passion for it. Then you can bash it while still giving it credit.

Quote from: Flonky_Tash on 02:33, 30 June 12As i said like, I'm NOT a proper game reviewer, just doing this as a bit of a laugh y'know, but I've taken your comments into consideration. I don't really plan my videos at all, I just sort of play 'em and see what comes out.

You are what you wanna be.  ;)
It's easy to see that you could make some great test/review vids of old Amstrad CPC games. You clearly have the skills and also the desire to keep at it.
First thing to look at are those annoying horizontal lines on the video though. They completely ruin it. I'm guessing it's not your capturing software that does it, but rather your video-editing software afterwards.... or maybe it's YouTube when they compress it. But you say you may already have found out why, so we'll see.  :)

Quote from: Flonky_Tash on 02:33, 30 June 12The games are nostalgic to me too, which is why I bother with them still haha, i'm a very nostalgic guy, i live in the past hehe :)

Everyone here lives in the past, more or less.  ;)