News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

atic atac on cpc?

Started by arnoldemu, 11:48, 19 July 10

Previous topic - Next topic

arnoldemu

I was reading the new retro gamer (with rainbow islands in it).

I read the part about "They sold a million" compilation.
It *claimed* that atic atac and jet set willy were converted to the cpc just for this compilation.

Now I don't agree with that, and also I think atic atac never came out on the cpc.

Can anyone tell me otherwise?

Also I notice again that they are not keen on the CPC. They say the CPC version of rainbow islands is ok but sluggish. I thought it was fine. It seemed they thought the Speccy version was better.

My games. My Games
My website with coding examples: Unofficial Amstrad WWW Resource

Bryce

The Jet Set Willy part may be true, but Atic Atac definitely wasn't in this compilation for CPC and I've never heard of Atic Atac for CPC at all.

They Sold A million for CPC included: Jet Set willy, Beachhead, Daley Thompson Decathalon and Sabre Wulf.

Bryce.

Gryzor

Rainbow Islands sluggish? I remember it was perfectly fine. But even if it *was* sluggish, for god's sake,we're talking about one of the most colourful games ever (this and Skweek...), how can it be fine if it cannot accomplish that?

xesrjb

I wait since 1985 for atic atac for CPC ;)

xesrjb
,,The pellet with the poison's in the vessel with the pestle; the chalice from the palace has the brew that is true."

arnoldemu

Quote from: xesrjb on 12:44, 19 July 10
I wait since 1985 for atic atac for CPC ;)

xesrjb
Well I started making a patch that pokes the spectrum version and makes it run on the cpc.
To use it you need the original spectrum version ;)

But I didn't finish it yet.
But then if I did finish it MacDeath would probably kill me  :laugh:
My games. My Games

ukmarkh

The CPC version of Rainbow Islands is no slouch... and the chap that wrote that article is anti-cpc.

Attic Attack never saw a release on the CPC to my knowledge. But please, if there's any truth in it we should search it out.

MacDeath

Quoteand the chap that wrote that article is anti-cpc.
Or he just couldn't figure how to set properly his emulator... :laugh:

Xyphoe

Quote from: ukmarkh on 14:06, 19 July 10
The CPC version of Rainbow Islands is no slouch... and the chap that wrote that article is anti-cpc.

Without having the issue or going on their site to find out who wrote it ..... let me guess .... Craig Grannel?

Gryzor

Damn, and I *did* read that article, but I did not spot that bit of silliness...

Ritchardo

Atic Atac was originally supposed to be on the Amstrad version of They Sold a Million and was advertised as such to begin with (in an early issue of ACU - can't find the reference at work but can dig it out when I get home) but it was later pulled and replaced with Sabre Wulf (which was also released at full price around the same time).  I believe that Sabre Wulf was always planned to be released as an individual title and Atic Atac converted for the compilation but due to time restraints they opted to fit Sabreman's original game on the compo instead.  I can't see for the life of me why they would've released Sabre Wulf for full price at the same time as the compilation (and therefore giving away three other games for an extra £1) for any other reason than contractual obligation!

Jet Set Willy was specifically converted for the compilation in its original shortened form, the original Amstrad version of the game being rebranded as Jet Set Willy II from that point onwards.  Confusingly.

arnoldemu

Thanks for clearing that up.

I also read that the amstrad version of Jet Set Willy (Jet Set Willy 2) was then ported back to the Spectrum?
So the Spectrum also had both Jet Set willy and Jet Set Willy 2.
My games. My Games

MacDeath

err... "they sold a million" had like 3 editions...
first was Beach head + more... was my first disk game compilation... and I had the 3rd one too (missed the 2nd and others...)

which one are you talking about ?

Jet Set Willy 2 was an upgraded version of jet set willy 1 actually...

arnoldemu

Quote from: MacDeath on 02:03, 21 July 10
err... "they sold a million" had like 3 editions...
first was Beach head + more... was my first disk game compilation... and I had the 3rd one too (missed the 2nd and others...)

which one are you talking about ?

Jet Set Willy 2 was an upgraded version of jet set willy 1 actually...
The 1st edition.

My games. My Games