News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Doors Of Doom

Started by chinnyhill10, 20:43, 06 December 23

Previous topic - Next topic

chinnyhill10

I used to borrow a copy of Doors Of Doom from a friend back in the day (I think it was on one of the Amstrad compilations he got with his CPC).

I'm revisiting it at the moment and there appears to be a couple of versions floating around. A version that just starts with a "Desert" style level that I'm not sure I recall. And another that starts with a green level on a bridge which is how I recall my mates version was.

Which is the original release? Did Amstrad put a cut down version on the compilation then also sell a version that offered up multiple levels with the desert level being first? It's a tad confusing!

Or does my memory cheat?
--
ChinnyVision - Reviews Of Classic Games Using Original Hardware
chinnyhill10 - YouTube

dthrone

Can't help with the question but same, my neighbour had the compilation with his 6128 and did me a copy when I got my Amstrad, good times :D

SkulleateR

There seem to be two versions, DoD and DoD Plus ... and it seems they have different settings ;)

DoD :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-caUDxD_nPU

DoD Plus :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vnEyIFLDp9Y

-> https://www.cpc-power.com/index.php?page=detail&num=745

Nich

Quote from: chinnyhill10 on 20:43, 06 December 23Which is the original release? Did Amstrad put a cut down version on the compilation then also sell a version that offered up multiple levels with the desert level being first? It's a tad confusing!

As @SkulleateR has pointed out, there are two versions of the game. Doors of Doom contains the 'desert' scene, whereas Doors of Doom+ (which was only released on disc) starts with a 'bridge' scene.

Doors of Doom was also released on the PP5 and PP8 compilations that some CPC6128 users received when they bought their machines, but it only features the 'desert' scene.

chinnyhill10

Quote from: Nich on 19:50, 07 December 23
Quote from: chinnyhill10 on 20:43, 06 December 23Which is the original release? Did Amstrad put a cut down version on the compilation then also sell a version that offered up multiple levels with the desert level being first? It's a tad confusing!

As @SkulleateR has pointed out, there are two versions of the game. Doors of Doom contains the 'desert' scene, whereas Doors of Doom+ (which was only released on disc) starts with a 'bridge' scene.

Doors of Doom was also released on the PP5 and PP8 compilations that some CPC6128 users received when they bought their machines, but it only features the 'desert' scene.
Ah the memory cheats then. I could have sworn the one I borrowed on the compilation started on the bridge. But perhaps I played that later when I got my hands on an emulator in 1995. Happy days of hunting around NVG on a command prompt!
--
chinnyhill10 - YouTube

Nich

Quote from: chinnyhill10 on 22:22, 07 December 23Ah the memory cheats then. I could have sworn the one I borrowed on the compilation started on the bridge. But perhaps I played that later when I got my hands on an emulator in 1995. Happy days of hunting around NVG on a command prompt!
Yeah, the version that was originally on NVG had the 'bridge' scene (despite being named Doors of Doom on the title screen), but I replaced it with my own version (based on the original cassette version) many years later.

chinnyhill10

Quote from: Nich on 22:33, 07 December 23
Quote from: chinnyhill10 on 22:22, 07 December 23Ah the memory cheats then. I could have sworn the one I borrowed on the compilation started on the bridge. But perhaps I played that later when I got my hands on an emulator in 1995. Happy days of hunting around NVG on a command prompt!
Yeah, the version that was originally on NVG had the 'bridge' scene (despite being named Doors of Doom on the title screen), but I replaced it with my own version (based on the original cassette version) many years later.

Ah that'll be it. Obviously in those days NVG was our only source and even today a huge amount of the files I have came from there.

Same for the Speccy. I always thought there was a 128k Commando with some great music but it turns out someone had just uploaded a hack!
--
chinnyhill10 - YouTube