News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Converting a game to ROM - and LOTS of ROM files inside!

Started by FRAGKI-2012, 00:30, 28 March 13

Previous topic - Next topic

TFM

Ah ok, right, I mixed that up. It's done automaticly for the first RSX list.

TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

tastefulmrship

Quote from: TFM on 21:21, 04 October 13
Hey bad taste ;-)

Your code does miss the most important part! It does not integrate the RSX into the system!

Your init_rom just does nothing! It must tell the system about the RSX.
Again you insist on insulting me instead of actually answering my question... which in itself is an insult.

The RSX table is enough to initialise the ROM name and RSX command. init_rom usually just displays pretty text; the reason why no-one has done so for any of these game ROMs is because mr_lou requested that nothing be displayed on boot.
Admittedly, I did omit the SCF command from the init_rom section, which may be the issue you are experiencing with non-working ROMs.

So, I ask again;
WHICH ROMS DO NOT WORK FOR YOU?

EDIT: Anyway, here's a 2 ROM version of the stupidly buggy, but beautifully sounding (thanks to JDR's immaculate AY version of Jochen Hippel's original masterpiece) BATTLE VALLEY. Now, I know this one doesn't work; it's well documented on CPCPower for those of you who like to moan and troll and generally tell people how crap they are at everything. |BVALLEY loads this one up!

EDIT: Once again I am indebted to one of our expert programmers; thanks to Axelay, I have been able to cobble |CYBERNOID2 to 3 ROMs. Everyone here (Axelay, arnoldemu, redbox, etc) deserves far more praise than I can ever type! Top work, guys! Top work! Oh, and press [SPACE] at my "updated" (ie fecked-up) title-screen to play the game.

EDIT: Ok, slowly going through all of my Hewson rips; this time it's the stupidly over difficult; THE CHIP FACTORY FEATURING |TECHNICIANTED. Also known as the sadist's JET SET WILLY.

EDIT: Just had a chance to go through the other ROMs done by other people; good job, all! Nice! Whoever did SENTINEL; I HATE YOU! ^_^ I've just spent 4 hours playing that... and totally lost track of time! I love that game! One thing, though; I cannot get the HEAD OVER HEELS ROMs to work. Anyone else had the same problem? Do they have to be in specific slots?

EDIT: One more... |RANARAMA with or without the loading screen on real hardware (I've checked my code and I can see why it fails EVERY time for me on WinAPE).

EDIT: Ha! After going a little off-the-rails with mr_lou's original list, here's CNGSoft's trained version of |SPINDIZZY. So, there's another 2 EUROs donated to the CPCWiki fund! ^_^

EDIT: Finally, for today, here's an updated version of my BATTLE SQUADRON MUSICDISK. It contains the Title, Ingame & Hiscore tunes (this one doesn't loop on purpose). Press 1, 2 or 3 to listen to the music. |BSQUADRON loads up this little waste of time!

EDIT: Like a drug, I just have to have more! One more for the road... TRAVEL WITH TRASHMAN one ROM'd! |TRASHMAN2 to play this interesting title! (It also means I can still build single ROM titles... with an SCF this time!)

TFM

Take it easy lad, you do a good job. Have a Jameson on me.
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

mr_lou

Quote from: TFM on 02:09, 06 October 13
Take it easy lad, you do a good job. Have a Jameson on me.

You still didn't answer his question. Lemme try: Which ROMs doesn't work for you?

mr_lou

Quote from: tastefulmrship on 07:38, 05 October 13Ha! After going a little off-the-rails with mr_lou's original list, here's CNGSoft's trained version of |SPINDIZZY. So, there's another 2 EUROs donated to the CPCWiki fund! ^_^

Yay!!!  :)
Thanks a lot!

How about Teodoro no sabe volar? Fits into 2 ROMs?  :)

I'm kinda surprised I seem to be alone in liking this game. I think Teodoro is exactly the kind of game the CPC should have had more of back in the day. It's the kind of game the CPC is good at, and here we have awesome music and great graphics and comedy in the story and great gameplay (at least in the CPC version) and smooth movement. In short, this game has all the things I like in a CPC game.
When loading it at our last retro gaming event, my mates were all like: "Woah...  is that a CPC game? I had no idea it could do graphics like that".
Yes mates... Teodoro gave the CPC respect among Amiga users.

You gotta give this game a second chance, if you dismissed it first time you played it.

I made sure of course to donate to the authors in the hope that they'll port their next game to the CPC too.  :)

(Also... it's very rare that I manage to complete a game. But I completed Teodoro.  :D )

tastefulmrship

Quote from: mr_lou on 05:15, 06 October 13
How about Teodoro no sabe volar? Fits into 2 ROMs?  :)
TNSV will fit onto 3 ROMs and will take quite a bit of fiddling to get it to load properly from ROM, at least for me, but one of our expert programmers would be able to do it without a second glance.

EDIT: However, I have had a little play with one of my favourite PD games; |BALLDOZER. After initial failures a few days ago, this now works! Ha! For some reason my inital attempts at packing this game failed (maybe there is more than one version of this game online), but now it fits on 1 ROM. |BALLDOZER does the biz, here!

EDIT: Ok, I found this disk in my folder and thought it would be nice to bring it back... it's the brilliant TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TURTLES musicrip by SyX. |TMNTM brings up this wonderful find!

EDIT: ROLAND IN TIME might pack to 1 ROM with Exomizer as BITBuster drops it to 17k. However, I can't be arsed finding my deexo code and so here's a 2 ROM version of the only ROLAND game worth playing. |ROLANDINTIME to remind yourself what real frustration was all about back then! ^_^ I gave in and dug-out my deexo notes. |ROLANDINTIME is now on 1 ROM! Yay!

andycadley

Quote from: tastefulmrship on 05:19, 04 October 13
The only thing I can think of is that I am not using the SCF command when initialising the ROM (it just RETs to BASIC). Is this a mandatory command? If so, then this could be reason why some of my ROMs are simply failing for you. It shouldn't take too long (a few weeks maybe) to completely re-build them all with it in. My build code has it in; so all subsequent ROMs will have it. Other than that, I am using Octoate's ROM code like everyone else.

V1.1 of the firmware checks the status of the carry flag and assumes the ROM init was successful if it is set and failed somehow if not, so without it ROMs may 'randomly' fail to initialise depending on the carry flag status. The V1.0 firmware ignores this and treats every ROM init as successful regardless.

tastefulmrship

Quote from: andycadley on 11:36, 06 October 13
V1.1 of the firmware checks the status of the carry flag and assumes the ROM init was successful if it is set and failed somehow if not, so without it ROMs may 'randomly' fail to initialise depending on the carry flag status. The V1.0 firmware ignores this and treats every ROM init as successful regardless.
Thanks for the information. It looks like next weekend is going to be full of rebuilding all the single ROM games I have already done! -yay- My ignorance has, once again, befallen me!

But, to tide everyone over until then (it has been a busy weekend for multiple ROM titles), here's the near-impossible |ROLANDINSPACE.

mr_lou

Quote from: tastefulmrship on 12:02, 06 October 13It looks like next weekend is going to be full of rebuilding all the single ROM games I have already done! -yay- My ignorance has, once again, befallen me!

Er what? Why?
Can someone explain to me in plain english why? What's wrong with the current builds?
Does this mean that all the downloads can/should be deleted?

tastefulmrship

Quote from: mr_lou on 15:24, 06 October 13
Er what? Why?
Can someone explain to me in plain english why? What's wrong with the current builds?
Does this mean that all the downloads can/should be deleted?
Yeah, they're all dead! Game over, man! Game over! Delete them all! (the ones I did, anyway)

Nah, it's just a little issue that some ROMs may fail in random circumstances. It's my fault for trying to save a little bit of memory where ever I could. (D'oh!) It won't take me too long to redo them, as all my builds are simply relocated blocks of data, anyway. Those blocks are saved on the relevant .dsk file and so I can possibly get through them all by the weekend if I do a few a day after school. (After school?? Hahahaha, how absurd!)

Basically, I think this is what the troll was trying to say for the past few pages, but decided to be dick instead of actually helping out. It's no biggie. The ROMs will work as long as you RUN them after a reboot or when using a BASIC1.0 ROM (ie on a 464).

mr_lou

Quote from: tastefulmrship on 16:56, 06 October 13The ROMs will work as long as you RUN them after a reboot

If that's the only trouble, then I fail to see any reason to redo them all....

You mean to say, that if I just turn off and on my CPC, before calling |GAME, then it will always work?
In that case, I don't see a problem.

tastefulmrship

Quote from: mr_lou on 17:24, 06 October 13
If that's the only trouble, then I fail to see any reason to redo them all....
I'd prefer to make them all 100% than leave them 99% done. A job worth doing... and all!

Bryce

Can you zip all the new versions into one file and post it here or send it directly to me. Then I'll update all the Wiki links / pages with the new files.

Bryce.

tastefulmrship

Quote from: Bryce on 21:38, 06 October 13
Can you zip all the new versions into one file and post it here or send it directly to me. Then I'll update all the Wiki links / pages with the new files.
No worries. Once they're all done I'll PM them all across.

Axelay

Dead on Time on two ROMs, start with |DOT.

EDIT: And some |LIGHTFORCE!  At least I dont think I've seen that one done yet.

tastefulmrship

I've really been busy at my new school workplace and haven't had any time to re-ROM anything, sorry.
However, I have taken an hour off and managed to cobble |SPELLBOUND onto 2 ROMs. (2 of 4 MAGIC KNIGHT games done)

EDIT: As an aside, I did have a choice of title screens; a CPC palette recolour of the C64 loading screen (the one I used), the original Spectrum-port loading screen or the reworked one. All three attached so you can see the differences.

Axelay

My favourite 3d games were the earlier ones not bogged down by 'real' 3d, and one of them was Codename MAT.  So I've uploaded it to the ROM page:)

EDIT: Just added another early Amsoft favourite of mine to the ROM page - Satellite Warrior.

TFM

The original of the Spellbound title pics must have been made on a spectrum. One can clearly see the seperated colors. Even on the c64 they made no attempt to alter that.
TFM of FutureSoft

tastefulmrship

Finally got around to getting those ROMs rebuilt. Some of them were easier than others, some of them took a hell of a lot longer than they should have!
Anyway, it's all done now! From now on, it's all new and complete ROM games.

Rebuild batch #1; |AHHH, |SNOOKER, |ASTRO, |ATLANTIS, |BOULDER, |BRUCELEE, |CHOPPER, |DONKEYKONG, |DONTPANIC, |FUKUNG, |GODRAGONS, |GAUNTLET, |GHOULS, |GILLIGAN, |RALLY2, |HOMERUNNER, |USHER, |HUNCHBACK, |JAMMIN, |KARL, |INVADERS, |LABESCAPE, |MANICMINER, |MOONBUGGY, |OMAHD, |PUNCHY, |ROLANDAHOY, |DIGGING, |TAPPER, |TEMPEST, |THEPRIZE, |THRUST, |TRASHMAN, |URIDIUM, |WRIGGLER

Rebuild batch #2; |GORILLA, |ATC, |SPACEMANIA, |ROPES, |LOOM, |SQUAREBASHING, |GPDRIVER, |SPANNERMAN, |ELECTRO, |MUTANTMONTY, |AIRWOLF, |DRAGONSGOLD, |BLAGGER, |FIREANT

EDIT: Also did a little fix for Airwolf, Blagger and Fire Ant in the process.

EDIT: For some reason I've also ROM'd ROLAND TAKES A |RUNNINGJUMP, the ACU tutorial into basic sprite handling. It was an easy LDIR, so...

EDIT: Another brilliant CPC game; THE SACRED ARMOUR OF |ANTIRIAD. BITBuster gave me 5 whole bytes spare to use... such a lot you can do in such a huge amount of space! (Press any key at the title screen to continue) Oops, forgot to remove AMSDOS header; not that it really matters, but...

EDIT: I find it funny that 5 people (so far) like my SPELLBOUND screens, but no-one has yet downloaded the ROM files. Maybe it's just my sense of humour, then? No? Oh, well! ^_^

EDIT: Penultimate game from me this weekend; INTO THE |EAGLESNEST. One thing though, I could've sworn the HUD at the bottom of the screen had more (useful) information on it; like AMMO, HEALTH & KEYS for example! Oh well, it makes for a more "interesting" game if you don't know when you're going to die!

EDIT: Ok, this is the last from me until next weekend; the highly Monty Python inspired Norse epic; BRIAN |BLOODAXE. Complete with obligatory system reset joke! Hahaha, how we laughed!

EDIT: One more, for the road! |GHOSTBUSTERS.

EDIT: And to start the new working week; |FEUD on 3 ROMs (only because that loading screen is so dang delicious!)

EDIT: Another great loading screen... |GHOSTSNGOBLINS this time! And that music... Mr Whittaker wins again! ^_^

EDIT: Seeing as you can only have 10 attachments per post; here's my last ROM game until someone else posts here (double posting is naughty). THE WAY OF THE EXPLODING |FIST for your bone-breaking enjoyment!

Axelay

Just a quick one to constitute someone else posting then.  :)  |SPACEHARRIER

mr_lou

Following ROMs give me only a Ready prompt:

Tempest
Atlantis
Blagger
Killer Gorilla
and many more

Also, can someone fix Spindizzy so that ROM 2 doesn't clear the screen in the ROM flasher manager? Apparently a character has been used in the name, that clears the screen.

EDIT: Ok, I'm suddenly just getting a Ready prompt on various games, including some that used to work like Donkey Kong and Bruce Lee.
This is after I installed the Booster ROM in slot 15.

TFM

The Booster is not causing the problem.[nb]It works fine with all commercial ROMs.[/nb] It's the way the ROMs have been generated.
TFM of FutureSoft

redbox

Quote from: TFM on 18:09, 18 October 13
The Booster is not causing the problem.[nb]It works fine with all commercial ROMs.[/nb] It's the way the ROMs have been generated.

I've said it before but I'll say it again - the Booster ROM is buggy.

I've analysed it and it basically intialises, copies a piece of code into RAM (which is poorly written), patches the kernel, re-initalises the CPC and then hopefully it will run through ROMs 31 to 0.  This is far from an eloquent solution and because the CPC is particlarly touchy about the order in which ROMs are intialised can lead to problems with some setups.

The fact that it works with 'commerical'/SoftBrenner ROMs is probably because they are the ones it was tested with and not because of some 'superior' design that you elude to all the time.  Sure it was a worthy solution once (and still a 'workaround' if you don't want to/can't update your OS ROM) but has been super-seeded now.

The only way for it to be done properly is to patch the OS, which has been done directly by myself for the 6128 & Plus and TotO/SyX with Firmware 3.12.

And I'm not saying this because it's German (don't care) or because I'm a "Churchill waging war", it's just because I've looked at the code and it's fact.

Bryce

I used it extensively during my original MegaFlash testing and I can assure that there are commercial ROMs that don't work properly when it's installed. I can't remember which ones though. There were also some that wouldn't work when they were installed above 15, although they would work below 15 even when I left the booster installed.

Bryce.

TFM

Of course there are some ROMs (like alternate DOS, or RAM disc f.e.) which need be be installed below 7. But one can't blame to Booster ROM for it.[nb]Which is a nice piece of code, but still not understand by everybody bitching at it without reason.[/nb]
TFM of FutureSoft