News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Pinball Magic 2024 (WIP)

Started by Jean-Marie, 19:31, 09 February 24

Previous topic - Next topic

Jean-Marie

This is a revamped version of the french game Pinball Magic (1990) by Loriciel.
I have converted the first table from the PLUS version, and it can be played in this WIP disc demo.
I know it doesn't compare well with Pinball Dreams, but it can still be entertaining.
Back then, I had been put off by the stark graphics on the CPC, while the PLUS & GX version was colorful.  :-[
Default controls are CTRL: left flipper, RIGHT CURSOR: right flipper/launch ball. They can be changed by running REDEFINE.BAS (the changes will be saved on the disc).

XeNoMoRPH

Excellent, if you could add some music too, it would be incredible
your amstrad news source in spanish language : https://auamstrad.es

Jean-Marie

After struggling with an army of bugs, Table 2 is ready !
Curiously, it matches table 7 on the PLUS version🤔 I guess they figured out it was rather difficult for a second level...
Try using "dead bounces" and "drop catches" to level up!

kawickboy

A nice project. Loriciels was never able to write good tunes on CPC, but was a great Atari ST developer. Music is really missing in this game.

robcfg

Isn't it a bit strange? 

I mean, the ST and the CPC have essentially the same chip, but using half the base clock frequency.

dodogildo

Quote from: robcfg on 16:50, 22 February 24I mean, the ST and the CPC have essentially the same chip, but using half the base clock frequency.

:o What chip is that?
M'enfin!

robcfg

Well, the AY-3-8912 and the YM2149 are the same chip with the only difference that the YM2149 has double the envelope resolution (32 steps instead of 16, iirc).

On the CPC the base clock frequency from which the sounds are generated is 1MHZ and on the ST it's 2MHZ.

Jean-Marie

Here is table 3, and it's quite challenging! Here is a poke for infinite balls : poke &7663,0.
Remember that the game allows you to terminate a level by pressing TAB when all the targets have been turned off.
These one let you skip a level at any time by pressing TAB : poke &75D8,&C3:poke &75D9,&BE:poke&75DA,&98.
I'll have a look at the music at the end, as I focus on the levels transfer and code optimization first.

Jean-Marie

Levels 4, 5 and 6. Halfway through !

Jean-Marie

Tables 7, 8 and 9. Almost there !

kawickboy

That's far better. With good tunes the gx4000 release will remain poor.

Jean-Marie

All levels completed, and in-game code fully optimized !
Run"trainer" to play with unlimited balls, and press TAB to level up.
I'm gonna try to insert a music player now.

Gryzor

Jean-Marie

The game is now powered by the fabulous CHIPNSFX from @cngsoft, and offers you 12 hits from the maestros of the heydays, selected from the huge library of DJ César !
And the Sound FX have been redone too ! And more code has been optimized for speed !
Most titles were unheard of on the CPC, and all have been converted by CNG from the C64 or Atari ST.
Here is the playlist.:

• Level 1 STARION1.CHP Starion Intro 1988 after Zenox
  • Level 2 FOLLINOX.CHP Follinoxe 2004 AY Riders after Factor6
  • Level 3 LEDSTORM.CHP L.E.D. Storm 1988 after Tim Follin
  • Level 4 DELTA-ZK.CHP Delta Zak 1991 after Brian after Rob Hubbard
  • Level 5 ELIMNTR0.CHP Eliminator Atari ST 1988 after Jochen Hippel after Jeroen Tel
  • Level 6 MONACOGP.CHP Super Monaco Grand Prix1991 after Jeroen Tel
  • Level 7 PULSOIDS.CHP Pulsoid (C64 version) 1988 after Steve Barrett
  • Level 8 LEDSTORO.CHP L.E.D. Storm hi score 1988 after Tim Follin
  • Level 9 GPSIM64A.CHP Grand Prix Simulator 1987 after David Whittaker
  • Level 10 CRAZYCM1.CHP Crazy Comets 1985 after Rob Hubbard
  • Level 11 ASHTRAY.CHP Ooh Crikey (Your mind is my ashtray) 1991 after Jochen Hippel
  • Level 12 CHIMERA2.CHP Chimera (victory) 1985 after Rob Hubbard

Note that the Sound FX overlaps the Music during the game, which some of you might find disruptive. In that case, you can turn off/on the FX by pressing P to pause the game, and the S key. In the same way, the M key (qwerty) will mute the music on/off.
Remember you can listen to hundreds of chiptunes by downloading CHIPNSFX (press CTRL & O to select a file).
So, I had to reprogram the keyboard handler, and I finally realized that you can nudge the table! I thought that was only possible on the PLUS version :doh:
Hence, I've changed the default keys to :
CTRL: left fiipper
Right cursor : right flipper/launch ball
SHIFT: nudge left
cursor down: nudge right
cursor up: nudge ahead
They can be modified by running Redefine.bas as before.
Interestingly, there is a shaking video effect when you nudge the table (CRTC reg 8), but you won't see it on Winape, Caprice64 & RVM. Amspirit and ACE display it correctly. I've not tested with the other emulators.
You must now press the space bar when the Basic loader is running in order to activate the Trainer mode, until you see the border turns mauve.
I managed to cram everything in 64K, so no RAM extension needed!
Happy Easter !✝️

XeNoMoRPH

Gryzor

Quote from: XeNoMoRPH on 08:43, 31 March 24

This is how I played the very first time my dad brought me to a pinball hall😁

Xyphoe

Quote from: Jean-Marie on 19:41, 30 March 24The game is now powered by the fabulous CHIPNSFX from @cngsoft, and offers you 12 hits from the maestros of the heydays, selected from the huge library of DJ César !
And the Sound FX have been redone too ! And more code has been optimized for speed !
Most titles were unheard of on the CPC, and all have been converted by CNG from the C64 or Atari ST.
Here is the playlist.:

• Level 1 STARION1.CHP Starion Intro 1988 after Zenox
  • Level 2 FOLLINOX.CHP Follinoxe 2004 AY Riders after Factor6
  • Level 3 LEDSTORM.CHP L.E.D. Storm 1988 after Tim Follin
  • Level 4 DELTA-ZK.CHP Delta Zak 1991 after Brian after Rob Hubbard
  • Level 5 ELIMNTR0.CHP Eliminator Atari ST 1988 after Jochen Hippel after Jeroen Tel
  • Level 6 MONACOGP.CHP Super Monaco Grand Prix1991 after Jeroen Tel
  • Level 7 PULSOIDS.CHP Pulsoid (C64 version) 1988 after Steve Barrett
  • Level 8 LEDSTORO.CHP L.E.D. Storm hi score 1988 after Tim Follin
  • Level 9 GPSIM64A.CHP Grand Prix Simulator 1987 after David Whittaker
  • Level 10 CRAZYCM1.CHP Crazy Comets 1985 after Rob Hubbard
  • Level 11 ASHTRAY.CHP Ooh Crikey (Your mind is my ashtray) 1991 after Jochen Hippel
  • Level 12 CHIMERA2.CHP Chimera (victory) 1985 after Rob Hubbard

Note that the Sound FX overlaps the Music during the game, which some of you might find disruptive. In that case, you can turn off/on the FX by pressing P to pause the game, and the S key. In the same way, the M key (qwerty) will mute the music on/off.
Remember you can listen to hundreds of chiptunes by downloading CHIPNSFX (press CTRL & O to select a file).
So, I had to reprogram the keyboard handler, and I finally realized that you can nudge the table! I thought that was only possible on the PLUS version :doh:
Hence, I've changed the default keys to :
CTRL: left fiipper
Right cursor : right flipper/launch ball
SHIFT: nudge left
cursor down: nudge right
cursor up: nudge ahead
They can be modified by running Redefine.bas as before.
Interestingly, there is a shaking video effect when you nudge the table (CRTC reg 8), but you won't see it on Winape, Caprice64 & RVM. Amspirit and ACE display it correctly. I've not tested with the other emulators.
You must now press the space bar when the Basic loader is running in order to activate the Trainer mode, until you see the border turns mauve.
I managed to cram everything in 64K, so no RAM extension needed!
Happy Easter !✝️

Fantastic work!!!

Great job as always <3

2 things quickly...

1) Was trainer.bas removed on this version? I can't find it or is there a new cheat mode? I'd like to test the other tables.

2) "SHIFT : nudge left" doesn't seem to be working for me, at least in AMSpiriT emulator I'm testing in. (I can't run ACE because I don't have MorphOS, and you said the CRTC shake effect doesn't work in other emulators) The other nudge controls do seem to work though.

XeNoMoRPH

ACE-DL is available for Windows, MAC and linux -- http://www.roudoudou.com/ACE-DL/

Jean-Marie

I deleted TRAINER.BAS to make some room on the disc (we can only store 64 files)! But the Trainer mode is still there : you need to run PINBALL.BAS, and immediately hold the Space bar. The border will turn to mauve if you're successful.
20 IF INKEY(47)=0 THEN BORDER 5:cheat=1
I have no clue why the Shift key doesn't run on Amspirit. If you really wanna use it, I guess you'll have to redefine the key (run"redefine.bas"). But as Xeno pointed out, ACE runs perfectly on Windows now!
Oh, and the shaking effect runs fine with CPCEC too, César's emulator. I tested it this night.
I'll release a new version soon with a better sound effect for the flippers, and a TILT message will be displayed if you're too vigorous! I might also turn off the sound effects by default (you will still be able to turn them on during the pause), I dunno...

Jean-Marie

Update:
  • Added a TILT message in the score panel, and a sound fx
  • Better sound effect for the flippers
  • Fixed a bad optimization when redrawing the bumpers
  • A few more minor optimizations

I have included some instructions in the BASIC loader, and it will display the active controls. You can redefine the keys from there, and also launch the trainer mode.
Well, I guess I'm through then... So it must be version 1?
Alternate download link

Xyphoe

Quote from: XeNoMoRPH on 07:28, 01 April 24ACE-DL is available for Windows, MAC and linux -- http://www.roudoudou.com/ACE-DL/

Ahhh nice!! Thank you!

I had no idea, all I found was this - https://www.cpcwiki.eu/index.php/ACE_(Emulator) and no reference to the ACE-DL version. Maybe that page could do with an update - or ACE-DL it's own page? @Gryzor ?

Gryzor

Quote from: Xyphoe on 06:08, 04 April 24
Quote from: XeNoMoRPH on 07:28, 01 April 24ACE-DL is available for Windows, MAC and linux -- http://www.roudoudou.com/ACE-DL/

Ahhh nice!! Thank you!

I had no idea, all I found was this - https://www.cpcwiki.eu/index.php/ACE_(Emulator) and no reference to the ACE-DL version. Maybe that page could do with an update - or ACE-DL it's own page? @Gryzor ?

It's not up to me, anyone who wants can do it 🙂

If it's ok with the dev I can whip something up quickly by copying stuff from its page...

Edit: oh, not much info there so not sure what to add? ¯⁠\⁠(⁠°⁠_�o⁠)⁠/⁠¯

Xyphoe

Quote from: Jean-Marie on 23:53, 03 April 24Update:
  • Added a TILT message in the score panel, and a sound fx
  • Better sound effect for the flippers
  • Fixed a bad optimization when redrawing the bumpers
  • A few more minor optimizations

I have included some instructions in the BASIC loader, and it will display the active controls. You can redefine the keys from there, and also launch the trainer mode.
Well, I guess I'm through then... So it must be version 1?
Alternate download link :

Great job!!

Thank you - works perfectly in ACE-DL emulator.

I will probably feature this in Friday's AMSTREAM live stream.

I noticed SFX is off by default, honestly - I would have left it on with the music. I don't think it's too intrusive at all.
Just a reminder for everyone - you have to pause first with 'P' and then press 'S' to turn it on whilst in pause mode.

Also just a thought - maybe you should probably get a website setup for all your productions so they get more noticed? Just want your hard work to get more recognition :) Maybe an itch.io page is not suitable given things like Pinball Magic, Sly Spy, etc are hacks/updates of old commercial games but Cyrille uses GameJolt for his.

Xyphoe

Quote from: Gryzor on 06:18, 04 April 24
Quote from: Xyphoe on 06:08, 04 April 24

Ahhh nice!! Thank you!

It's not up to me, anyone who wants can do it 🙂

If it's ok with the dev I can whip something up quickly by copying stuff from its page...

Edit: oh, not much info there so not sure what to add? ¯⁠\⁠(⁠°⁠_�o⁠)⁠/⁠¯

LOL I've seen there's been a quick edit added there! That will do at least, and lead people to Google further!

I suppose it's up to the author of the software to advertise their work.

Jean-Marie

Quote from: Xyphoe on 06:54, 04 April 24I noticed SFX is off by default, honestly - I would have left it on with the music. I don't think it's too intrusive at all.
Just a reminder for everyone - you have to pause first with 'P' and then press 'S' to turn it on whilst in pause mode
Yeah, that was quite a dilemma... Personnaly, I don't really like the way it interrupts the music, and I presumed everyone would think the same. Maybe I was wrong? I'd like to hear other people's opinions about that.
Quote from: Xyphoe on 06:54, 04 April 24Also just a thought - maybe you should probably get a website setup for all your productions so they get more noticed? Just want your hard work to get more recognition
Thanks a lot for your interest! I took a vow of humility after having been to cocky in a previous life :)  Human glory is vain, only celestial glory is meaningful.