News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Quick question on Renegade/Target Renegade graphics

Started by sigh, 17:17, 07 December 10

Previous topic - Next topic

sigh

Going through the male anims at the moment and it looks like I'll have him fully complete and optimized by wednesday. I managed to get rid of 2 legs and 2 torso sprites from the knee attack:) Will optimize the headbutt next and am hoping to get rid of another 4 pieces of body parts from that anim. After this - I'm not to sure what else I can optimize for the male (without making the animations look too "hacky")which means I can clean up the weapon animations and that should be him fully completed - never to be touched again!!!

Gryzor

Man, the forum does your work no justice. You should have a WIP blog :)

sigh

Male character is finally finished! ;D Going to take a short break over the this christmas period before moving onto the female.

Gryzor

sigh

Hi there guys and gals! Hope everyone had a wonderful christmas and new year.
I'm almost finished with the female characters optimization. I had to rework a few frames of the male - which I had thought I'd finished. I have 2 more animations for each character to optimize which WILL BE FINISHED ON SUNDAY >:( !

This means that from next week I can start on the Level 1 enemies! This is very exciting as they will be easy to do as I no longer need to work out animation timings or spend entire afternoons finding out which torso works best with which legs as these will have already have been finalized on sunday. Things will be much easier from now on.

sigh

All the player animations for both male and female have now been finally optimized and finished! ;D

From next week, I will be animating the enemy sprites for this level which should not take too long to complete. I will then design the hud which will have the life bar, score etc. The hud will be pretty much like the Renegade/Target Renegade in it's simplicity.

Gryzor

sigh

Quote from: Gryzor on 13:43, 07 January 13
Hey, you kept your word ;)

Indeed I did! It's nice to start some new fresh characters for the new year:)

sigh

Helloooo

Been working on the enemies and so far have the punching, flykicking and three of the being hit animations done for one of the first level enemies.

I still have these left to do for this one character:

Flykick
Punching
Walk
Throw object
5x Hit reactions
KO
Performing a Grab_Full Nelson
Being Grabbed into Full Nelson
Being thrown

The 2nd enemy set of animations:

Weapon
Kick on floor
Block
Walk
8 x Hit reactions
KO
Being Grabbed into Full Nelson
Being thrown

There's quite a few hit reactions which are taking up a lot of space on the sprite sheet especially in regards to the full nelson type anims. I thought I was being very careful in leaving lots of space for the enemy animations, but I may have underestimated this. It's a good thing that the player and enemy share the legs!

sigh

Update:

Enemies are completed and this is the hud that I finished a while ago. Nothing too fancy using mode 1 just like the Renegade games.

I've currently been working on the Level 1 boss "Tug" which has been slow going as I'm still working out what moves to give him as he will have a fair amount.

After he is complete, I will be creating an animation of the gameplay for this level as this will need to be done before any code work can be started.

Gryzor

Although I really loved Renegade, have to say this looks really great and maybe even better... and if we get to see all your descriptions in motion, it might be quite better even!

qbert

Oh my f.....g god !.....
Sorry I have not much else to say...  :P 

Quote from: sigh on 18:26, 24 February 13

Update:

Enemies are completed and this is the hud that I finished a while ago. Nothing too fancy using mode 1 just like the Renegade games.

I've currently been working on the Level 1 boss "Tug" which has been slow going as I'm still working out what moves to give him as he will have a fair amount.

After he is complete, I will be creating an animation of the gameplay for this level as this will need to be done before any code work can be started.

Swainy

Retro Asylum

dcdrac

one thing I do remember about this game was there was either a key combination or a poke needed to make the blood look red

Gryzor

Just noticed that this thread, with almost 300 posts and 17000 views, is titled "Quick question on Renegade/Target Renegade graphics" :D

robcfg

That's because it was a quick question, but it has a looooooooooooooooong answer, hehe!  ;D

sigh

Quote from: robcfg on 08:45, 01 April 13
That's because it was a quick question, but it has a looooooooooooooooong answer, hehe!  ;D

...and it will be answered soon! :)

sigh

Update:

Will be resuming this from next week as I've been helping out a friend with another project in which I have a few more pieces to finish off, along with some minor tweaking here and there on the artwork. It's cool that I now have additional information on what needs to be done when creating the game, in regards to how the front end needs to work.

So hopefully next week I can once again give the boss animations my full attention and finish him off.

Gryzor

sigh

Strangle:

This will end with the boss slamming the player on to the ground. Originally I was going to give the bosses the exact same number of moves as the players, but I think it would be better to cut down on some of the moves as the players have 2/3 ground attacks, 2 grab moves etc. The bosses will just have one of each.

These are the moves for the first level boss "Tug"

Normal Punches to uppercut finisher. (All bosses will have normal left to right punches like the player)
Strangle combo (Grab move)
Barge (Rushing attack = knock down)
Elbow (Behind attack = Knock down)
Kick (instant stun)
Throw
Wrestler Splash (Air attack, but can also land on top of a knocked down player)
Strangle Hold (Ground Attack)
Double Attack (Move that performs on 2 players that are on either side of the boss)

Block
Dodge/duck/sway
Parry

Head Ram (performed after a successful parry)

Bosses will also be able to pick up weapons and objects too.

sigh

Hello folks,

Finished the 1st level boss normal punches and will now be animating the uppercut and the kick.

I'm also going to reduce a few of the animation content on the main characters even though they are fully completed. The reason being is that I found some of the moves didn't really add much value. The value that the moves in question had were " they looked" different. For instance, Choke Hold to Elbow Crash combo vs Knee to Headbutt combo. Do we really need a variation of what is essentially the same move? The moves in this game must have a reason to be executed or other wise it's just a waste of memory as well as adding unecessary work for the coders. More on this later - but here are the removed moves:

IN THE BIN!!!

REMOVED - Hang Kick: This move was animated to have the character leaping onto a sign post, hanging from it and kicking the enemy. I'm trashing this animation as it's far too situational. You would have to be at the right place at the right time and I dont want the enemies to be blindly walking into such an obvious move. I also feel that it's a move that's not worth pulling off and would only be used for the sake of it being there - which probably wouldn't be that often given that the chance of executing the move would be slim.

REMOVED - Male Crashing Elbow: This move was animated to play as a knock out blow at the end of the headlock punch. Removing it as it's just a variation of the knee to headbutt combination. Instead, after the headlock punch he will go behind the player and do the choke hold. This means that the player will hold onto the enemy until they are either kicked off or have succeeded in choking out the enemy. You wont be able to throw the enemy in the behind choke hold position AND being locked in that position makes it a risky move to execute, but the reward is that you can defeat a fresh enemy in one go if you succeed. The played will have tap the button/waggle the joystick rapidly giving the intensity of an actual struggle.
This also has the added benefit of being a very good team move as it the other player can punch the enemy as they are being choked.

REMOVED - Female Hammer Double Punch
: same reason as the Male Crashing Elbow. She too will end with a choke hold saving a few frames in the process.

REMOVED - Kicking enemy in front when held from behind
: A move which gives the player the ability to kick an enemy in front if they are being held from behind. After much consideration, I dont think the move is really justified as your likely going to want to struggle out of the hold than execute that move. This means I managed to get rid of some frames as that particular move was taking up a lot of sprite space.

CHANGED - Front Kick: Changed the male and female version to something that has mulitple uses. It's now a violent kick to the shins which also hits an enemy on the floor as well as objects such as barrels, dirt/liquid at the enemy.

REMOVING - Female Sit on Punch: This was a second type of ground fighting move which I liked, but it felt just like another variation of the "Head Bash". The male has the "Sit on Punch" and a ground headlock choke(same function as behind choke hold). Both these will work well in terms of uses and funtionality.
For the female sit on punch replacement - I will animate her either performing an armlock or a leg lock which will have the same functionality as the behind headlock.

Also - Sit on Punch and Head bash will now combo, which can either end with the player throwing the enemy from the floor or kicking them away.

Edit: Just finished the leg lock pose. Will animate it tomorrow:)

sigh

Arm Lock:

Trying to execute these moves in the least amount of frames and overlays are pain to do and the male headlock version was no different!
This lock has been through so many revisions as I found that trying to draw an aikido or jujitsu leg/arm lock was creating problems when seperating the characters torso's and legs, as well as creating readability problems amongst the small mass of pixels. This lead me to come up with some other type of lock instead which is more readable than the ones before:

(old versions)

The 1st level boss also has one of these moves he can execute on the player, but I'm hoping that this time round I can avoid any complicated overlays. I'm finding that the less overlays I have, the bigger the sprite. I've kept the 1 torso + 1 leg combination through out all the animations, though sometimes it's tempting to just put in a third overlay, but it's best to avoid any crazy look up tables, so I'm not ever going to do that.

Now - back to the boss!

sigh

I had to go back to the arm lock using a Jujitsu type.

The reaon for the change was because I realized with the other version, I would need a few frames to get both characters into that position and it needs to be quick for the playable characters. I dont want to have to create to many "getting into" frames for these anims and the other animation would definitely need a few so that it wouldn't look too choppy. It still needs a bit of tweaking so will fiish it tomorrow lunch time.

I'll use the other version for a boss character instead.

Gryzor

I enjoy the gfx showcased here as much as the game design descriptions. Thanks!

sigh

These are the new arm locks:

Torsion Lock:

Straight Arm Lock:

These would be executed after a successful parry. The player would then tap the fire button rapidly to cause damage. I'm hoping that these are readable enough.....

I created the kick animation for the boss, but it looks far too athletic, so I will save that animation and use it for another character. Instead - I will give him the same kick as the main characters:

Works on shins, floored enemies and objects.