News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu
K

R-Type

Started by Keith A Goodyer, 04:08, 25 February 10

Previous topic - Next topic

MacDeath

I can suggest you to find some external power supply then.

I bought a universal power converter supply (un transformateur in french voltage transformer ? a Voltron then ??? ;D ).

shIt was a bit expensive as it needs 3A in 5V (quite big) and cost easily 40€uros in France but you get shitton of plugs and it's just too fine if you have a lot of different machines (can set it into many different Voltages...)

But this will certainly stabilise you monitor whose power supply is quite old nowaday.

On the other hand you can also convert an old PC-power supply... but it is not a ready to use solution, need to solder a few stuff.
Yet it may be quite easy to find this.

City Garbarges/discharge/junkyard (what is the exact word ? we say Déchetterie) have a lot of old PC to cannibalize, it's always good to make sure you cannibalize a PC before it goes to rubbish discharge.

TotO

Quote from: MacDeath on 17:00, 13 November 10
I can suggest you to find some external power supply then.

I can suggest you to find some external threads for that ...
Like said by TFM/FS, back to the topic !
"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

TotO

Easter Egg on road to the RGC 2K10 !!! (Yeahhhh  8) )
"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

fano

"NOP" is the perfect program : short , fast and (known) bug free

Follow Easter Egg products on Facebook !

MacDeath

I hope you won't mind if I put the links...

redbox

Wow Fano and Toto, this looks *amazing*.

Is that you both in the videos?  I can't understand what the presenter says because it's muffled  :(

fano

No problems Macdeath , it have been posted elsewhere already.

Quote from: redbox on 11:06, 16 November 10Is that you both in the videos?  I can't understand what the presenter says because it's muffled  :(
Sorry , i uploaded the video Sunday when back at home but i didn't post it because here the quality is very bad.We are waiting official RGC videos , English people will be able to understand as the speaker was translating in English for the members of Super Fighter Team.
I was alone , i am the guy who hold GX paddle in the hands on start and i give it to the guy who plays on the video.

viddi

Looks VERY promising!! Thumbs up.

But...could it be that the music isn´t 100% correct? (harmony and chord-wise)

ivarf

The blobs seems to move smooth and fast. Will say more when I see more :)

fano

Quote from: viddi on 13:37, 16 November 10But...could it be that the music isn´t 100% correct? (harmony and chord-wise)
Missing at least one channel on sound , i was surprised too how bad that sounds on video.

TotO

Yep, poor recording quality and missing 1 channel with melody ... :/

Gryzor

ivarf

TFM

Quote from: fano on 02:50, 13 November 10
For the main core , i rewrotte at least 80% of the code (kept scripting system and extended it / force / player moving and explosions).
... snip...

Hmm, what do you think? If you would do the game from scratch, may it would take not much more time to make it?!?

On the other hand, it's probably quite interesting to look at the code of the original... (I never did, but can imagine...).

Again! What I saw and heart up to now: FASCINATING!!! You do a great job, also MacDeath does!!! Thumbs up!!!
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

fano

Thanks TFM  ;)

Quote from: TFM/FS on 19:00, 18 November 10Hmm, what do you think? If you would do the game from scratch, may it would take not much more time to make it?!?
I'd say yes, keeping the enemies and the scripting system save a lot of time when converting levels (branching level code to new code, adapting to Winape syntax and fixing operator priority bug (there are a lot of multiplications combined with additions)).

TotO

Quote from: TFM/FS on 19:00, 18 November 10
Again! What I saw and heart up to now: FASCINATING!!! You do a great job, also iXien and TotO does!!! Thumbs up!!!
Fixed.  :P

MacDeath

Yeah sorry but I wanted to do a Mode1 version and...well... it happened that I was the only one. :'(
Why you poeples don't like old fashioned CGA graphics ? ::)

Yet I did a bit of initial impulsion (because of the CPCwiki's R-Type page actually and various discussions on forums...) and council job... morale support if you prefer.

But yeah Toto did/does a great job.

I was actually quite bluffed... as it is not easy to get something proper in mode 0 with small tiles.

Just a few colour choices I would have done differently also but he tries to get the closer he can to the arcade so yeah.

AMSDOS

MacDeath wrote:

Why you poeples don't like old fashioned CGA graphics ? ::)

Why do I feel like I'm walking into a trap here?  :-\
* Using the old Amstrad Languages :D   * with the Firmware :P
* I also like to problem solve code in BASIC :)   * And type-in Type-Ins! :D

Home Computing Weekly Programs
Popular Computing Weekly Programs
Your Computer Programs
Updated Other Program Links on Profile Page (Update April 16/15 phew!)
Programs for Turbo Pascal 3

ukmarkh

I've watched those video's over and over. It looks amazing, and running on a stock CPC.

However; I'm a massive R-Type fan, and I've played it on every system known to man, own it on several systems, and have completed it many times and still keep coming back. The levels are etched into my brain. My mate recently loaded the Speccy version and I completed it in one sitting. I'm not bragging, just making the point that I have invested a lot of time and money into this genre and especially this game.

Every version has pretty much kept to the formula of the arcade original, but at the same time given a slightly different experience. The PCEngine version had a low res, so the screen moved up and down slightly, the Speccy had an amazing look and feel considering the tech, the Amiga had a damn near arcade conversion with oh so sweet music and sound effects, with other versions doing something slightly different. The CPC version seems to have sprites that move faster than the arcade original, and I think this might just put the CPC on the map. Back in the day, a computer was compared with another on its games, especially side scrollers. And despite what everyone would have you believe, in regards to the limitations of the CPC, and its inherent problems around side scrolling... this game, along with Star Sabre and many more that are due for release prove that the CPC was just as good, if not better than the C64 and Speccy.

It's very sad that the CPC didn't get the same development time the other machines received. I've spoken with a few programmers that had to take their work home for the CPC, as they weren't given enough time in the day to focus on the CPC versions of a game. Some never even got to go home... lol

It's been said before, and I'll say it again... in the right hands, the CPC can really sing. ;)     

fano

Quote from: TotO on 09:35, 19 November 10
Fixed.

All my apologies, i totaly forgot to present the Easter Egg team that is active on R-Type :

fano

Thx Ukmarkh ! i am a R-Type fan too.My preferences goes to II and Delta but i love the first episode  :-*
About the Amiga version , i've been a bit disapointed as i was expecting more from the Amiga (for example i don't understand the void background on L1)

ukmarkh

Just a quick question... would it be possible for the CPC version to have background details like in the arcade version. I've noticed a few games on the CPC like Turrican, Turrican II, and Robozone on the shoot-em-up stages feature this and it looks really cool?

fano

It is not visible in the video , but level 1 owns a starfield on the start and there are some background details inside the base.(I joined 2 screenshots (debug mode) to show you)
It is not possible for every level but we'll do each time that will be possible  ;)

Ygdrazil

Quote from: fano on 13:49, 19 November 10
It is not visible in the video , but level 1 owns a starfield on the start and there are some background details inside the base.(I joined 2 screenshots (debug mode) to show you)
It is not possible for every level but we'll do each time that will be possible  ;)

Amazing stuff, can't wait for this to be released!!! 8)

/Ygdrazil

spybro

Quote from: Ygdrazil on 16:45, 19 November 10
Amazing stuff, can't wait for this to be released!!! 8)

all of us are eager!!!

Fano any hints on the release date?