News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu
K

R-Type

Started by Keith A Goodyer, 04:08, 25 February 10

Previous topic - Next topic

MacDeath

QuoteIt's not like they've gone all American and decided to stick a theme park next to it with a roller coaster going through the Parthenon, or have they?
Not so fast !
Considering the Helleas government is completely broke, they may do it to recover some moniez...

QuoteFully restoring them using modern materials  would amount to totally destroying what's left.
it's quite possible to use the same material, just we use modern machine to produce them... and computer to keep track of each stone like a big lego game... and so on...

I mean, the Parthenon was so cleverly done that the blueprint is still usable and valable as a standing building... provided some douche invader doesn't bombard the place...

Did you mean that the stones must be all carved, carried, lifted and installed only with whiped and sodomised barehanded and barefoot chained and probably naked slaves on a hot summer day ?
Or else it doesn't pay due respect to the past ?
;D

rexbeng

Ok, so here's a view of the restorations being done on the Parthenon. And should there be a third CPC scener to have had a job that includes a view to the Acropolis, I'll start suspecting a conspiracy  ;D

beaker

Quote from: Bryce on 20:58, 28 December 12
You can't ever re-create anything close to what the original was. And to make a cheap copy with modern technology, when the original was made with bare hands, some wood and a few ropes is just an insult to the mastery of the original.

With the exception of the rods would they not be using original techniques where possible? The only thing I have to compare is from watching TV shows when English Heritage get involved with UK restorations the people are required to use stone from the original quarry, or another on their list that closely matches the original if the original quarry is no longer in operation, use master craftsman who use original techniques to work the stone by hand and it's not allowed to be aged so it's obvious what's original and what's been replaced. I'd assumed the Greeks are doing something similar?

Bryce

And what do you think something like that might cost? :)

Bryce.

beaker

In deepest darkest Dorset... 3 shillings per day and a bottle of Scrumpy to share around the fire at the end of the day for a job well done  :D

TFM

Quote from: Bryce on 23:15, 28 December 12
And what do you think something like that might cost? :)

Bryce.
Less than a percent of a percent compared to all the money wasted for weapons. :-*
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

Gryzor

@Bryce: couldn't have said it better myself.
@MacDeath: not even as a joke... it's a very sensitive issue, especially given that, given the current situation, taking advantage of the Acropolis has already been suggested. Disgusting.

I'm not familiar with the work done in the UK, but taking ANY ancient building and doing it anew is nothing short of a copy. Would the Mona Lisa (I don't even like that painting, but anyway) be the same if it was damaged and they painted over it? Oh wait, someone already did that in Spain :DHeck, maybe they could also put that on wheels and tour it around the world, that'd be something!

beaker

Ah, but what if the building would eventually collapse without restoration or as in the UK, it rains a fair bit and being open to the elements is causing further degradation/erosion of the stonework? In those cases wouldn't it be better to take remedial action in keeping the surroundings rather than lose more historical pieces? Hope that makes sense, I am on my 5th cider of the night and feeling rather jolly right about nooooooo....  :P

Edit: sorry just seen it's beer. At this point of the evening I don't care what I drink :)

Gryzor

Go home, Beaker, you're drunk :D

You're talking about preservation, not restoration ;)

beaker

lol, I could be hey  ;D Nothing like spouting absolute bollocks when your drunk  ;D Time for another beer me thinks :)

Gryzor

Knock yourself out :D

Hey wait, isn't it like 7pm there?

MacDeath

QuoteEdit: sorry just seen it's beer. At this point of the evening I don't care what I drink
You just pulled out a MacDeath statement.
Cheers.

TotO

Close to one year after the release, Oldschool Gaming as released a review of the game, here:
http://www.oldschool-gaming.com/view_review.php?rev=cpc_r-type_128
"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

TMR

Quote from: TotO on 21:11, 28 January 13
Close to one year after the release, Oldschool Gaming as released a review of the game, here:
http://www.oldschool-gaming.com/view_review.php?rev=cpc_r-type_128

Oldschool Gaming has been on a "break" for over a year, the update that happened last weekend was the first since R-Type was released.

Gryzor

Pity it was so short, the review could be expanded by quite a bit!

TFM

IMHO you ask for too much. It's a great review, well done and nice results. And there may be a reason from them for having had a break. So don't be creedy. Luck is to be satisfied with what you get  :)
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

TMR

Quote from: TFM/FS on 21:32, 29 January 13
And there may be a reason from them for having had a break.

The short version is that OSG went "off air" about a year back because it ended up just being me writing the reviews and i've always wanted it to be a team effort rather than just being about me. The resurrection is because i found another wind, talked some of the team into coming back onboard and chased a few new people into writing as well. That reboot process is still ongoing but hopefully we'll be updating at the end of each month from now onwards.

TotO

The topic is close to reach the 200 likes. It's just amazing!  :o
"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

Gryzor

TotO

Gryzor

Take a screenshot, quick before someone ruins it :)

TFM

TFM of FutureSoft

TFM

TFM of FutureSoft

fano

49€ for a old poor 3"5 drive (2€ for 10 on second hand market!) with cable and power supply , add a bit of money and you'll get the fantastic HxC ! (what i look like a fanboy  :P  )
I will finish to think that's a bad idea to do games for free where you can sell old hardware at this price...
Btw this is just a copy with a sticker , as long they do not try to sell copies as "our" official box release...
"NOP" is the perfect program : short , fast and (known) bug free

Follow Easter Egg products on Facebook !

TFM

Looks like the ask most of the money for the game, since the drive - as you told - is not worth that much.
TFM of FutureSoft