CPC Plus range (+GX4000): any in-depth info about design, financial loses...?

Started by cwpab, 19:45, 25 January 24

Previous topic - Next topic

cwpab

I've read multiple articles about Amstrad history, but I don't remember any going into detail about the CPC Plus (and related GX4000 console) design and financial aspects (money invested, CPC Plus units sold as we only know the console numbers...).

The only thing I've learned recently is that in the late 80s, Amstrad was already moving into the communications and satellite business.

Can anyone shed some light into what happened inside Amstrad during the design of these machines and what was the financial impact on them?

cwpab

Hmmm... Pretty sillent over here, perhaps nobody has touched this topic in interviews? It would be great to ask Roland Perry about this, in case he was still around in 1989-90.

dthrone

If you can track down the Cliff Lawson interview in Retro Gamer referenced on the Wikipedia page https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amstrad_GX4000, that has a few insights.

Neurox66

I've issue 11 of RetroGamer, 
on page 23 starts the article "The GX Factor" about the GX-4000 and on page 29 there is an interview with Cliff Lawson.
Unfortunately there is no information about the quantities sold, just a reflection why the GX-4000 failed: no marketing, little money invested and practically zero games.
CPC 464+ with C4CPC and Gotek HxC USB Drive - 
CPC 6128+ with Nova, FlashGordon,AmsDap, SymbiFace III -
CPC 6128 with M4 ... and other Amstrad computers

eto

Quote from: cwpab on 16:29, 27 January 24It would be great to ask Roland Perry about this, in case he was still around in 1989-90.
It was either an interview or on Facebook where he said, that he does not have a lot of insights as he was working on other projects.