News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

CPC 464 Don't forget.

Started by DARKGATE, 08:19, 21 January 12

Previous topic - Next topic

DARKGATE

:) I saw some amazing things over the years by great programmers of 'AMSTRAD, only more often, a lot has been made ​​only for 6128.
I am a fan and I own the CPC 464 with 64K RAM, I like to play on my real AMSTRAD, many games were made ​​only on disk, but because they 'do not give a chance' to be played on tape?
I know that the problem is the SLOW loading, but why don't add more software also for cpc 464?
An example, the new modificated ZYNAPS cause not to do a version on tape?
Other examples are many homebrew games "SUDOKU MASTER" "SWAP" "ALINKA (best tetris game)" or PAC-MAN, the version produced by (T and T )made ​​by a conversion from 'ATARI 800.
To realize consult CPCGAMEBASE CD
A new project, RELIVE the AMSTRAD CPC 464  ;D
Do not underestimate the power of AMSTRAD CPC.

Gryzor

Heh, this is a nice idea and would be cool, if we only had more resources... as it stands, we're lucky to even get those few 6128 releases I'm afraid :(

McKlain

I for one support this idea  ;D

tastefulmrship

Quote from: DARKGATE on 08:19, 21 January 12
An example, the new modificated ZYNAPS cause not to do a version on tape?
It can be copied directly to .cdt as it is. It's only one 40k file which will take about 8-10 minutes to load on |TAPE.

But, I'd hold off on that one for a while... I'll try to get a .cdt of the new version once completed, but I am still waiting for the collision detection fix before releasing it.

arnoldemu

I support 64k CPC with my projects.
I try to support cassette based cpcs, but sometimes I must make the program disc only (but still ok on 64k machines).
My games. My Games
My website with coding examples: Unofficial Amstrad WWW Resource

ralferoo

FWIW, I definitely support the 464. In fact, it's the only Amstrad model that sits permanently on my main work desk as it's hooked up to the sound card via a tape adapter and is my primary method of testing on real hardware! I do have a tape lead for a 6128 as well, but the 464 is always easier because you can just do ctrl+enter... :)

TotO

QuoteI saw some amazing things over the years by great programmers of 'AMSTRAD, only more often, a lot has been made ​​only for 6128. 
I am a fan and I own the CPC 464 with 64K RAM
I suggest to buy an external floppy disk drive.  :-\
"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

Bryce

All of my hardware is 464 compatible :)

In fact, I might even be releasing a "464 only" project later this year ;)

Bryce.

DARKGATE

Quote from: TotO on 14:55, 24 January 12
I suggest to buy an external floppy disk drive.  :-\

;D You give me the money to buy it? :D

I hope really of see more applications and games also for CPC 464 or CPC 464 with RAM, but i think someone can create a demo scene working only with a cpc464?
I have saw BEAUTIFUL demo, but the real challenge for me is  look demo for the 464.
The real challenge is push the 464 at the limit.
However thank you at alls, for the hard work.  ;)

ced64k

With an external drive and 64k expansion ram, a 464 can read all the 6128 stuffs ?

00WReX

Quote from: Bryce on 15:02, 24 January 12

Bryce.

Ooh, cool. Any clues ?  A Bryce DDI maybe ?

The 464 will always be my favourite, and the main one that I have fond memories of.
After all this was the start of the legend.

Cheers,
Shane
The CPC in Australia...
Awa - CPCWiki

tastefulmrship

I originally had a 464 and spent ages waiting for EVERYTHING to load. But the minute I bought an external drive, everything went onto disc and loaded mega-quickyl!
I then bought a 6128 and it completely changed how I used my CPC in the olde days. 464 has had its day, long live the 6128!

Quote from: ced64k on 22:46, 24 January 12
With an external drive and 64k expansion ram, a 464 can read all the 6128 stuffs ?
There are differences! 464 uses BASIC1.0 and 6128 uses BASIC1.1 with extra commands (COPYCHR$, CURSOR, DEC$, FILL, FRAME, GRAPHICS PAPER, GRAPHICS PEN, MASK, etc)
Most 6128 programs will work on an upgraded 464, but not all of them!

EDIT: I didn't have a 64K RAM expansion, so I don't know if that came with BASIC1.1, but I had two external drives for my 464 and I can't remember ever having any upgrade of LocoBASIC. All I can remember is the AMSDOS and |CPM RSXs.

TotO

Quote from: tastefulmrship on 08:43, 25 January 12There are differences! 464 uses BASIC 1.0 and 6128 uses BASIC 1.1 with extra commands (FILL, etc)
Most 6128 programs will work on an upgraded 464, but not all of them!
The DDI-1 don't have the BASIC 1.1 ROM embeded ? (or it's adapter)
"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

00WReX

I too started with a 464, waiting for tapes to load then saved up for a DDI etc...still have it all.
And it's a 6128 that sits on my desk permanently...but I agree with the intent of the original message.

Cheers,
Shane
The CPC in Australia...
Awa - CPCWiki

Bryce

Quote from: TotO on 08:49, 25 January 12
The DDI-1 don't have the BASIC 1.1 ROM embeded ? (or it's adapter)

The DDI-1 has ROM7 (AMSDOS) inside, but not ROM0 (Firmware/BASIC).

It would be possible to make a "6128 upgrade" expansion for the 464, which included 64K RAM, a disc controller and a Lower ROM replacement, all the devices exist already, just not on one PCB. But it would be large, expensive and I'm not sure it would be worth the bother.... buy a 6128 for €20 on ebay instead :)

My first CPC was also a 464, later joined by a DDI-1 / FD-1. I only got a 6128 a few years ago. From looks / nostalgia the 464 is still my favourite, but due to a severe lack of space on my desk, the 6128+ is usually the main CPC used unless I am doing specific hardware tests that require one of the other machines.

Bryce.

Pentagon

QuoteIt would be possible to make a "6128 upgrade" expansion for the 464, which included 64K RAM, a disc controller and a Lower ROM replacement, all the devices exist already, just not on one PCB. But it would be large, expensive and I'm not sure it would be worth the bother.... buy a 6128 for €20 on ebay instead

Sounds highly interesting to me, i would buy two units of that. Maybe we find more interested people? That "Supercontroller" is most important to me, cause i really would need that for my CPC464. I have a lots of Games, just running at 464 and not at 6128. I am also using a lot of tapes and with that expansion i would be able to switch between 6128 and 464 in seconds.

That is a great idea !

Regards
Tom / Pentagon

Bryce

Yes, but the bit that puts me off doing such a device is the price. The board would need 2x 16K of EPROM for the firmware, BASIC and AMSDOS, then it needs a complete Floppy Controller circuit, 64K RAM and of course all the logic involved to get it all to play nice with each other and the 464. The board would be about 3x the size of a MegaFlash and cost around €100 or more... And that's before my favourite programming pal logs on and tells me it should have at least 4MB of RAM :D

I know it sounds like a good idea, but it really is easier and cheaper to just buy a 6128.

Bryce.

Pentagon

QuoteAnd that's before my favourite programming pal logs on and tells me it should have at least 4MB of RAM

LOL !  ;D

Back top topic, i am still interested. I would pay max. 200 Euro for that Expansion, cause its worth to me. I am pretty sure, that some people would need it. A CPC6128 cant run a lot of native 464 Games. (for example, Kaiser, Country Cottages, Quiwi .....i know a lot of more).

So its really a good idea to expand the 464 with that modern idea of an expansion. Maybe some more people are interested in to have it and we can discuss the idea? I would support it.

Regards
Tom

Bryce

I'll add it to my list, but be warned, it's at position 8 or 9 still!

Bryce.

Pentagon

Well, its on the list :-)

I am patient and can wait... just would be happy if more people are interested to have that.

Tom / Pentagon

Ynot.zer0

Whatever Bryce decides to make, I'm gonna buy it  ;D   superb quality hardware that'll hopefully live as long as my CPC collection (and me of course!)

MaV

I would buy one as well! :)
Black Mesa Transit Announcement System:
"Work safe, work smart. Your future depends on it."

DARKGATE

:) Oh my god, however do not think that turning a 464    to 6128 does not make sense?
At this point you first to be held directly cpc 6128, my proposal was to create more 'dedicated material for CPC 464, leverage the skills' original.
I saw an SD reader to be mounted on CPC 6128, 'cause not even realize it cpc 464 with a good tutorial?
If the recorder fails the CPC 464 dies  :'( .

Gryzor

Quote from: Bryce on 15:02, 24 January 12

Bryce.
Was going to say, "a 6128 conversion kit?" but then read your next messages...

I'm probably buying anything and everything you'll ever made though :D

The 464 was my first computer and I adore it, and even the sound of tape loading soothes my soul. But nowadays free time is scarce and I prefer to load stuff on my semi-permanent 6128 setup...

steve

If the recorder fails, you can add sockets to use an external recorder, you can then use an MP3 recorder, perhaps some people may be interested in an internal HXC like replacement for the tape deck with the ability to choose files from a directory, it would also be capable of faster loading, one video I saw had the CPC loading from an mp3 player at 12000 baud.