External tape input, tape images and loading from pc

Started by ArtemKuchin, 15:08, 19 June 12

Previous topic - Next topic

ArtemKuchin

Hello!

I had CPC464 (with green monitor) when i was in school 20 years ago. Learned to program its advanced basic and played with Z80 assembler a bit.

Now i bought one for my nostalgic amusement and have some questions:

1) I can't seem to find tape images in the internet. Only D64 files, which are, i suppose, disk images from models with disk drive.
2) Is there reliable and proven schematic to make external tape input?
3) Is there software which can play the tape images as audio output or better yet convert it into wav/mp3 file so i can play it from a cell phone to the input.
4) There are tons of different formats i see. D64, dsk, hfe. What are those? A link to explanation? How those files can be used on a real CPC?

Bryce

Hi Artemkuchin,

D64 = Commodore 64 disk Images - These contain games in the colour brown :D
DSK = Amstrad (and other 8-bit) Disk Images - Most of these will work on a CPC with disk drive
HFE = Disk images converted for use on the HxC Floppy emulator.

CDT = Amstrad Tape dumps - Use CDT2WAV to make WAV files or further convert them to MP3 with the program of your choice.

The easiest way to play them into the 464 (without having to solder, is to use a tape adapter like this one:

Bryce.

ArtemKuchin

D64 in brown color.. yes, right, brownish for sure :)

So, as long as i am on CPC464 and don't have DDI-1 DSK and HFE are not in my scope of interest, right?

So, i went into the download section:
http://www.cpcwiki.eu/forum/index.php?action=dldir;sa=list;id=2
but how do i find only CDT files?

Umm. the tape adapter link is invisible. Is the level or signal kay?

I found thd schematic on external tape adapter in  cpcwiki, but it does not say anything about what level of input signal is expected.

Also, is there any flash disk emulator for 464 ?

Bryce

Quote from: ArtemKuchin on 15:22, 19 June 12
Umm. the tape adapter link is invisible. Is the level or signal kay?

Or I was too stupid to include it?

I have also just changed the picture in the 464 Tape input Wiki page, the old picture showed the wrong connection.

You can download most CDTs here: http://tacgr.emuunlim.com/downloads/downloads.php?sorttype=alpha&sortorder=a
click on a game and if it's a vailable on tape there will be a CDT to download.

Bryce.

Edit: strange... I wasn't stupid, It really IS invisible, it keeps being removed from my post?? Here's an alternative link: http://averagejoemn.files.wordpress.com/2010/10/cassette-adapter-small.jpg

ArtemKuchin

Oh! Good to know that's your schematic :)

DIY 464 External Audio Socket - CPCWiki - The Ultimate Amstrad CPC Community &
But i don't get it fully. What is REMOTE?
As i understand AUDIO IN is the place where i feed the sound from my source. What do i don with REMOTE?
What level of signal the input natively expects?

The archive is crazy. I need a lot of guts to click through each and every link. But it is better than nothing :) THANK YOU!

Bryce

You'll have to experiment with the volume of the audio source to find the best level for reliable loading.

The remote connection is to start/stop the cassette motor. Old cassette players had an input for this. It's useful for multi load games that start and stop the tape as required. Not much use if your audio source is a telephone :D

Bryce.

ArtemKuchin

I hope too high level will not kill the input circuitry.

Oh! So i can put a led on it and see when i should start it!

Bryce

No, too loud wouldn't damage anything, it would just be very distorted and not load. Somewhere around 30 or 40% volume is probably about right on most devices.

Yes, you could add an LED to the remote, but you would need to supply the voltage too. The remote contacts just go to the contacts of a relay, they aren't powered.

Bryce.

MacDeath

ArtemKuchin

Quote from: Bryce on 22:21, 19 June 12
Yes, you could add an LED to the remote, but you would need to supply the voltage too. The remote contacts just go to the contacts of a relay, they aren't powered.
Bryce.

I looked at the schematic
http://www.cpcwiki.eu/imgs/6/6d/Schaltplan_cpc_464.jpg
And MOTOR is actually active LOW. So, basically the control chip brings MOTOR to ground via Q101 transistor to turn the motor on.
So, for sure, MOTOR cannot feed too  much current because it will short then. So, i guess you are right, there is not enough current there.
But i can get +5 from some point on the board and add my own transistor to control the led from the MOTOR signal. The question though, where to put it without damaging the case and still in visible position.

Bryce

Quote from: ArtemKuchin on 11:19, 20 June 12
I looked at the schematic
http://www.cpcwiki.eu/imgs/6/6d/Schaltplan_cpc_464.jpg
And MOTOR is actually active LOW. So, basically the control chip brings MOTOR to ground via Q101 transistor to turn the motor on.
So, for sure, MOTOR cannot feed too  much current because it will short then. So, i guess you are right, there is not enough current there.
But i can get +5 from some point on the board and add my own transistor to control the led from the MOTOR signal. The question though, where to put it without damaging the case and still in visible position.

Eh, are you using a 464 or a 6128? My comments were for a 6128 tape port. If you are using a 464 then I would recommend connecting the LED (with resistor) across the motor contacts.

Bryce.

ArtemKuchin

Mine is 464.
I see your what you mean. Good idea. Thanks!