News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Who, or what, is to "blame"??

Started by CraigsBar, 19:15, 04 October 16

Previous topic - Next topic

CraigsBar

Just a bit of fun!

OK, Over the past year or so I have bought 7 significant Retro machine purchases to add to my CPC's and Plusses... Not necessarily significant in cost but in what they stand for.... so here is who,or what is to blame for these..... 

Amiga 600 - This one is easy... The Vampire 600 v2 development team are to blame for this. This accelerator offering a 64bit 68k cpu @ over 100mhz, HDMI MicroSD and power to crush even the fastest 060 machines was all just too tempting

Amiga 1200 - My fault.. Guilty as charged, after getting the 600 I got back into Amiga gaming and found that "Slam Tilt AGA" was meant to be playable in my collection.

MegaDrive and 32X - another one led by the hardware I'm afraid... I discovered you could have the whole library from the MD and 32x on a single SD card, and run it using a Mega Everdrive... This was something I had to have, having kinda regretted selling my original MD, MCD and 32x to buy a Google Nexus 7 3g some years ago, i wanted it back.

Atari 130xe - OK this one really recent, to the point I have not got it yet.. but this one is @chinnyhill10 s fault! ever since seeing his review of RGB a couple of years ago I have wanted, no needed, to play that game.... since then I have been looking out for the right machine (Since Atari 8 bit emu's all seem to screw the sound) and a beautiful boxed 130xe came up at a reasonable price, so it is now mine.

Spectrum +3, Acorn Electron & N64 - these came up as part of job lot listed on Adverts.ie, a couple of guys from the Amiga Ireland facebook page wanted the Amiga 600, c64's and Speccy 16k and 48k offerings in the bundle, but were short of the asking price. I chipped in and got these 3 machine, all tested with cables, powersupplies and games for each of them for 80eur in total. so this one was driven to help some friends out, and because they were a bargain! 25eur each for the +3 and the N64, 30 for the Elk.

so what about you? who or what is to blame!

Craig
IRC:  #Retro4All on Freenode

chinnyhill10

Quote from: CraigsBar on 19:15, 04 October 16

Atari 130xe - OK this one really recent, to the point I have not got it yet.. but this one is @chinnyhill10 s fault! ever since seeing his review of RGB a couple of years ago I have wanted, no needed, to play that game.... since then I have been looking out for the right machine (Since Atari 8 bit emu's all seem to screw the sound) and a beautiful boxed 130xe came up at a reasonable price, so it is now mine.

I seem to get the blame for a lot of people buying machines. I don't feel guilty though as people are going to experience real hardware rather than emulators. The 130XE sounds sweet. See if you can get the Atari Age S-Video upgrade for a better picture.

However it works both ways. I end up buying machines people tell me they want to see. Just spent the spare channel funds on an Archimedes which is by far the most requested system. Sadly it's battery has leaked everywhere so it looks like its going to be the same kind of money again to repair the damage. That's life I guess, will need to shift the remaining calendars  :D
--
ChinnyVision - Reviews Of Classic Games Using Original Hardware
chinnyhill10 - YouTube

CraigsBar

Quote from: chinnyhill10 on 20:57, 04 October 16

I seem to get the blame for a lot of people buying machines. I don't feel guilty though as people are going to experience real hardware rather than emulators. The 130XE sounds sweet. See if you can get the Atari Age S-Video upgrade for a better picture.

However it works both ways. I end up buying machines people tell me they want to see. Just spent the spare channel funds on an Archimedes which is by far the most requested system. Sadly it's battery has leaked everywhere so it looks like its going to be the same kind of money again to repair the damage. That's life I guess, will need to shift the remaining calendars  :D
Don't take it personally, I am sure I will love the 130xe... So long as I avoid 'Jet Set Willy' on it like the plague.

chinnyhill10

Quote from: CraigsBar on 22:29, 04 October 16
Don't take it personally, I am sure I will love the 130xe... So long as I avoid 'Jet Set Willy' on it like the plague.

Oh no, you *must* play it. It's hilarious! It's the worst game conversion known to man!
--
chinnyhill10 - YouTube

CraigsBar

Lol. Maybe just once then.... It won't take up much space on the sio2sd SD card.

seanb

This forum is to blame for me.
Started of reading here and bought a cpc to add to my collection and then started watching Chinny's and John Gages and whoever else's videos so had to expand my collection to all the machines I once had or never did.

So how can I claim against a certain Greek whilst the UK is still in the EU?
Thou shall not question Captain Wrong!

CraigsBar

Quote from: seanb on 10:52, 05 October 16
This forum is to blame for me.
Started of reading here and bought a cpc to add to my collection and then started watching Chinny's and John Gages and whoever else's videos so had to expand my collection to all the machines I once had or never did.

So how can I claim against a certain Greek whilst the UK is still in the EU?
ROFL!
All you can claim from @Gryzor is a warm fuzzy feeling of satisfaction that any donation you made to the CPC wiki is spent wisely for the benefit of this crazy hobby. Oh that and those donations stop you doing something stupid like buying a Sam coupe (still on my wanted list for some strange reason)

Phantomz

I already had a 6128 and 6128 plus when I joined the Forum.

I did pick up a GX4000 after @gerald released the C4CPC, therefore it's @gerald fault that I have a GX4000.  ;D

MaV

Everyone is to blame himself. It's your decision to read the news and watch the youtube videos. And then you're still the only person to blame for the decision to buy that thing you just watched.

Anyway, my collection is pretty complete in terms of computers I'd like to have. Peripherals are the dangerously alluring parts now. And, of course, there's the constantly nagging feeling that I need more than one of a kind as a backup system or for repairs or spare parts just in case something happens.

There are however certain retro computers, I'd still consider every now and then, but prices and availability usually keep me from buying them:
- Amstrad PCW 16 - never seen one being sold.
- Archimedes (any) - chinnyhill is not the only one having the leaked battery problem. It's a common failure of the Archimedes. So, I'd better not.
- Amiga 1200 - too expensive nowadays, needs capacitors changed which is not an easy task; also, entices me to buy an accelerator board as well which then of course must be a '060 card to watch all those advanced Amiga demos. I guess it won't ever come to that.
- original IBM PC or one of the Tandy models; the latter to enjoy the old mid-80s PC games with better graphics and sound than CGA and PC speaker. Tandy are almost always US only, prices in Europe, if found, are such that the US prices + shipping is much cheaper.

Black Mesa Transit Announcement System:
"Work safe, work smart. Your future depends on it."

chinnyhill10

Quote from: MaV on 14:40, 05 October 16

- Amstrad PCW 16 - never seen one being sold.

Which is weird as they are relatively recent and were being pushed by Dixons at a low cost. But as you say they don't come up.
--
chinnyhill10 - YouTube

MaV

Quote from: chinnyhill10 on 19:26, 05 October 16Which is weird as they are relatively recent and were being pushed by Dixons at a low cost. But as you say they don't come up.
Crap! I've never seen them in Ebay, though.
Do Dixons send to mainland Europe? In the off-chance that they will have some now or in the future. :/
Black Mesa Transit Announcement System:
"Work safe, work smart. Your future depends on it."

MacDeath

chinnyhill10

Quote from: MaV on 19:34, 05 October 16
Crap! I've never seen them in Ebay, though.
Do Dixons send to mainland Europe? In the off-chance that they will have some now or in the future. :/

When I say 'relatively recently" I mean in 8 bit terms. Which means the late 1990's.
--
chinnyhill10 - YouTube

Gryzor

I blame the forum myself, to tell you the truth; when a new piece of hardware gets announced in here, I can't help but get it...

seanb

Do you want to join me in making a claim against the forum owner  ;D
Thou shall not question Captain Wrong!

Gryzor

I'll take him for all he's got.

CraigsBar

00WReX

Right about now I'm blaming you CraigsBar ;D :D

I had not really thought too much about my purchases over the last year but my sickness....I mean er, hobby looks to have taken a turn for the worse.

I just looked back over the last year and must admit I was a bit shocked at the amount of machines I have accumulated.

Actually, I'm really shocked to tell you the truth...time and devices got away from me.

Nothing too amazing or out of the ordinary as far as things go I suppose.

This is also why I've been away from the CPC for so long and only having 'quick read' catchups on the forum.

But Duke has single handedly brought me back...and not just back, back to a 464 even.

My 464's had mostly been relegated to the cupboard while the 6128 was obviously the CPC of choice...but not anymore.

The M4 is amazing and I'm loving using a 464 with a tiny interface out the back that does so much.  :)

Cheers,
Shane
The CPC in Australia...
Awa - CPCWiki