News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Hello

Started by Fredouille, 16:36, 23 November 16

Previous topic - Next topic

Fredouille

I have created my account few weeks ago but I haven't introduced myself yet.

I am Frederic, french. My mom bought me a CPC 464 in 1985 when I was 14, my first computer before moving to PC in 1989, an Amstrad too !!

In 2006, I have been excited to develop a program for my Palm TX and I decided to port Caprice32. I was really happy to play again to all adventure games such as Sram, Le mystère de Kikekankoi, Orphée, Les passager du temps, La geste d'Artillac...

I have moved to Android but I haven't port Caprice for Android. Android was not so fun and I really hate Java.

In 2014, I decided to develop again but for Windows.
A lots of original DSK were available but FDC emulation wasn't accurate enough to launch them correctly. It was a real challenge to restart an FDC emulation from NEC765 datasheet. Even today, FDC is not accurate enough. Tough most all original games can now be launch correctly, FDC test from @arnoldemu didn't pass at all.

This was the first reason to discover this forum.

Now, I am considering this forum may be the last place where the whole community can share anything about the Amstrad. And for this, I want to thank you all.

||C|-|E||

Hello and welcome!  :D

Kris

Welcome, it's nice to see you on the block ;)

Targhan

Where do you live? There are a few people in Brittany :).
Targhan/Arkos

Arkos Tracker 2.0.1 now released! - Follow the news on Twitter!
Disark - A cross-platform Z80 disassembler/source converter
FDC Tool 1.1 - Read Amsdos files without the system

Imperial Mahjong
Orion Prime

Lone

Hello Fred,

Welcome here and good luck with your FDC emulation !

I agree that it's a good place to find help here !

arnoldemu

Welcome Fred!
My games. My Games
My website with coding examples: Unofficial Amstrad WWW Resource

VincentGR

mr_lou

Welcome.  :)

I also tried Android development, and wasn't impressed either. I love Java though, but I don't consider Android to be Java. It's "Android Java", which just isn't really Java.
But if you hate Java, how can you love C#? It's pretty much the same.

Fredouille

I'm developing in C# for my job and the last thing I have discovered, polymorphism serialization, is quite magic. As many of new C# features.

I believe I will never use C# to develop an emulator, except when native compiler will be available.

But today, there are no correct emulator for Android. Maybe if I have time to spend, I will try...

arnoldemu

Quote from: mr_lou on 08:29, 27 November 16
Welcome.  :)

I also tried Android development, and wasn't impressed either. I love Java though, but I don't consider Android to be Java. It's "Android Java", which just isn't really Java.
But if you hate Java, how can you love C#? It's pretty much the same.
Java and C# are not the same. The syntax is similar and the language shares common concepts but they're not the same.

There are differences in how the GUI is created and edited for example.

For android you don't need to do the whole thing in Java. :)

You can do a java "shim" (enough to collect the events) and then do the reset in C or C++ using native mode. If you do it in C or C++ then you will need to compile for different cpus (arm and x86), although arm is almost 90% compared to x86.

Android is much easier because a lot of devices can be activated into developer mode.

On IOS for example you need a Mac and be signed up to the Apple Developer portal and appropiate provisioning to develop.

My games. My Games

mr_lou

Quote from: arnoldemu on 12:10, 27 November 16
Java and C# are not the same. The syntax is similar and the language shares common concepts but they're not the same.

There are differences in how the GUI is created and edited for example.

I did not say they were the same. I said they are pretty much the same.
Differences in how the GUI is created and edited hardly weighs enough to make anyone love one and hate the other.

robcfg

QuoteOn IOS for example you need a Mac and be signed up to the Apple Developer portal and appropiate provisioning to develop.

Since some months, you don't need to have a developer account to test your programs on iOS.

I follow the instructions in this nice Unity tutorial and worked at first attempt.

arnoldemu

Quote from: mr_lou on 13:48, 27 November 16
I did not say they were the same. I said they are pretty much the same.
Differences in how the GUI is created and edited hardly weighs enough to make anyone love one and hate the other.
Oops I didn't read your message properly.

Yes I agree with you.

If I had to chose then I would use C# but that's because I am more familiar with it.
My games. My Games

arnoldemu

Quote from: robcfg on 14:01, 27 November 16

Since some months, you don't need to have a developer account to test your programs on iOS.

I follow the instructions in this nice Unity tutorial and worked at first attempt.
Nice. Last time I coded for IOS was over two years ago, good that they have changed this.
My games. My Games

Singaja

Quote from: arnoldemu on 12:10, 27 November 16
On IOS for example you need a Mac and be signed up to the Apple Developer portal and appropiate provisioning to develop.
I happen to do iOS development professionally so to be precise it looks this:
- You need a mac since the official IDE XCode runs only on OSX (or MacOS nowadays, since they dropped "OS-ten" (OSX) not to confuse people on their events with iOS10). According to the licence even virtual machines hosting OSX/MacOS must run on a mac.
- Having a mac/XCode combo you can develop on the simulator without any developer program
- Since XCode 7 and a device hosting at least iOS8 you can develop using a provisioning profile generated from your Apple ID(the same one you use for AppStore for instance). The only limitation is that you cannot use/debug push notifications (and they won't work on simulator) , you will still Apple developer program for this
- Obviously you need a valid dev program to publish on AppStore