News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Hello from New Zealand!

Started by Apple2Forever, 04:47, 24 February 24

Previous topic - Next topic

Apple2Forever

New user here, originally an Apple II user back in the 80s but have been collecting vintage computers and games for about 20 years or so now. The Amstrad isn't so common here, the main 8 bit machine was definitely the Commodore 64.

Gryzor

Hehe and I was wondering who was posting before 6am my time :D

Welcome mate!

robcfg

You've come to the right place for your Amstrad needs  ;)

What computers were popular in New Zealand back in the days?

Welcome to the CPCWiki!

Apple2Forever

Quote from: robcfg on 11:17, 24 February 24You've come to the right place for your Amstrad needs  ;)

What computers were popular in New Zealand back in the days?

Welcome to the CPCWiki!
In homes, mostly C64s. In schools, Apple IIs. Spectrums and Amstrads were pretty rare here.

dodogildo

M'enfin!

Anthony Flack

You may be a little older than me because our high school had BBC Micros. My family had a CPC (which is why I am here), and there were er, five other people I knew who had one in Napier. But they did sell Amstrad Action in the magazine shops so there must have been a few around. There was a marketing push to sell Amstrads here; there were TV ads and some of the big electronics chains were selling CPCs in 1985.

Most kids who had a computer at home had a C64 though. I never saw a Spectrum; I only know about Spectrum stuff thanks to the many Spectrum games that were ported to the CPC (not such a bad thing).

I feel like an old man reminiscing about a potato field. 

Gryzor

Yes, but what a glorious potato field! 🥔

mahlemiut

For me, at primary school there were (eventually) a few C64s (and an Apple Franklin).  High school had just Mac Classics and PCs.  Most friends had C64s, but did have a few that had CPCs (a lot of tapes got copied).  Didn't know any with Spectrums or BBCs, though. 
- Barry Rodewald

Apple2Forever

Quote from: Anthony Flack on 21:35, 24 February 24You may be a little older than me because our high school had BBC Micros. My family had a CPC (which is why I am here), and there were er, five other people I knew who had one in Napier. But they did sell Amstrad Action in the magazine shops so there must have been a few around. There was a marketing push to sell Amstrads here; there were TV ads and some of the big electronics chains were selling CPCs in 1985.

Most kids who had a computer at home had a C64 though. I never saw a Spectrum; I only know about Spectrum stuff thanks to the many Spectrum games that were ported to the CPC (not such a bad thing).

I feel like an old man reminiscing about a potato field.
I vaguely remember one of my primary school classes having a BBC Micro, can't be certain though.

zhulien

I grew up in Auckland and we had BBCs at school but probably a good 20% of home computers in 1986 would have been CPCs. I used to regularly go to the Computer Terminal in Highbury and they sold heaps of CPCs.