News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

CP/M 8080

Started by Spoke, 11:53, 19 April 12

Previous topic - Next topic

Spoke

Hi,

I am a CP/M 8080 assembly language programmer, so if somebody also programs with Asm 8080, feel free to contact me. (by PM only)

arnoldemu

My games. My Games
My website with coding examples: Unofficial Amstrad WWW Resource

arnoldemu

I don't have any problem with you writing 8080 code and writing programs for CP/M. :)
I am happy that the Amstrad runs CP/M and can also run the programs you write.

My games. My Games
My website with coding examples: Unofficial Amstrad WWW Resource

TotO

No ROM version of CP/M for 6128 ?
8080 is source compatible or binary too ?
"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

MaV

Quote from: TotO on 10:06, 20 April 12
No ROM version of CP/M for 6128 ?
8080 is source compatible or binary too ?
8080 is binary compatible to Z80, otherwise no CP/M program would run on the CPC. The Z80 has been enhanced with instructions (like ldir) that the 8080 must solve the old-fashioned way. Most CP/M programs stick to the 8080 subset for compatibility (one notable exception being Turbo-Pascal which is Z80 only).

The mnemonics of the Z80 might seem more intuitive, but with a bit of effort you'll get into 8080 in no time.

@Spoke: I myself am not so deep into CP/M, but CP/M User might have interest.
Black Mesa Transit Announcement System:
"Work safe, work smart. Your future depends on it."

TotO

Quote from: MaV on 10:34, 20 April 128080 is binary compatible to Z80, otherwise no CP/M program would run on the CPC.
Not a problem if you got the source code to buid it for two CPU.
But sure, it's better to be binary too. Thank you. :)
"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

ralferoo

Quote from: Spoke on 12:56, 20 April 12
More seriously, to know 8080 is very useful for me because I learn assembly language x86 32 and 64 bits on PC.
Ironically, Z80 might be better for learning x86.

Zilog was forced to invent a new syntax for the Z80 for legal reasons, although ironically Intel borrowed much of the flavour of the Z80 mnemonics for the 8086 (i.e. fixed mnemonic and parameters for functional group rather than modes encoded in parameters). So, things like LD A,(IX+3) map to MOV AL,[DI+3]. If they'd followed the 8080 syntax, it'd probably be more like MVX AL,DI,3. Pretty much the only nod to the 8080 heritage in x86 is using MOV instead of LD, although even then there are instructions like LAHF that prefer "load/store" to "move".

But one thing I always say is do the things you want to do how you want to do them. If other people like the result and want to use it, that's fine, but it's pointless trying to please everyone because there will always be people who think you should do something different. Stick with your 8080 coding and have fun, I say... :)