News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

HxC Floppy sd emu for cpc464

Started by DARKGATE, 14:24, 14 April 12

Previous topic - Next topic

DARKGATE

:) Hi guys, I have see fantastics tutorials on this forum, but lack a tutorial for connect a HxC sd floppy emulator on AMSTRAD CPC 464.
Have two amstrad 464, but one datarecorder is fault, if i want  buy a HxC, what do i need?
Have also a drive fdd1, i have changed the drive belt, but don't read.  :(
Please an advice,  except an exorcist  ;D .
Do not underestimate the power of AMSTRAD CPC.

steve

The fdd-1 is the floppy disk drive, you need another bit that plugs into the expansion port, called the DDI-1 it controls the FD-1 (not sure how many Ds in it), do you have the controller?

DARKGATE

Oh yes, i have got ddi-1, i can plug the drive in my cpc, but the drive don't read "DISC MISSING" appear in my monitor when put a disk. :(

MaV

Quote from: DARKGATE on 20:09, 14 April 12
Oh yes, i have got ddi-1, i can plug the drive in my cpc, but the drive don't read "DISC MISSING" appear in my monitor when put a disk. :(
Let's try to find the cause of the error before opting for the HxC (which you should buy anyway). It would be nice to get old hardware going again. :)

When you changed the drive belt, did you make sure to clean all the shafts (?) around which the belt runs? Usually the old belt crumbles and some pieces of it can still cling to the shafts. Also, check again if the belt is properly rotating around the shafts by moving it slowly by hand for at least one complete turn.
After checking that, make sure that the disc is ok.

Do others have ideas what to check next?
Black Mesa Transit Announcement System:
"Work safe, work smart. Your future depends on it."

steve

Just guessing here, but if the drive has an optical sensor to detect a disk, then maybe the lens needs cleaning.

DARKGATE

Quote from: MaV on 20:29, 14 April 12
Let's try to find the cause of the error before opting for the HxC (which you should buy anyway). It would be nice to get old hardware going again. :)

When you changed the drive belt, did you make sure to clean all the shafts (?) around which the belt runs? Usually the old belt crumbles and some pieces of it can still cling to the shafts. Also, check again if the belt is properly rotating around the shafts by moving it slowly by hand for at least one complete turn.
After checking that, make sure that the disc is ok.

Do others have ideas what to check next?

I have only put the new drive belt, hummm  :( , look today, thank you.
However a tutorial for install HxC on cpc 464 can be a good thing.

villain

I changed only one belt in the past so I am not really experienced. So it´s just an idea... If you always get "Disc missing" you could take a look here:

http://retrocomputing.ch/museum/amstrad/instrcpcb.html

Look at the pictures that belong to "Schritt 6". Maybe this little thing fell out while changing the belt.

Cholo

Well, i just wanted to confirm that the HxC does work as a second drive with a 464. Infact i use it myself & based this guide on it:
Guide for HxC SD Version - CPCWiki - The Ultimate Amstrad CPC Community &

I may remember wrongly (and if i do someone please correct me) but just so we dont confuse each other:
The disc interface = the small thin box put into the side of the 464 and features the ribbon cable.
DDI disc drive = the actual 3" drive that also powers the disc interface and should be placed at the end of the ribbon cable.
FD1 disc drive = the "6128" secondary disc drive .. this does not work alone with the 464 as it dosnt power the interface, but it can be used as a second drive if a DDI drive is already present. Needs to be plugged into the middel connector in the ribbon.

So as the HxC dosnt power the interface either it needs to be a "secondary drive" as well. Even if you have a DDI disc drive that dont fully work/read discs it can still be used to just power the setup. Another solution i havnt tested but probably work is to install the HxC inside the non-working drive .. of cause youll need some proper internal 3"-to-3.5" cable like this one:
Amstrad CPC Spectrum +3 internal ribbon cable adaptor | eBay

Sadly that cable dont come with a proper 3"-to-3.5" power cable as well (if it had then you could have the HxC powered by the DDI drive itself) but you can always power it from a external source of cause.

MaV

Quote from: DARKGATE on 08:38, 15 April 12
I have only put the new drive belt, hummm  :( , look today, thank you.
However a tutorial for install HxC on cpc 464 can be a good thing.
The main drive on the CPC464 has the same connections as the drive in the CPC 6128, so there is no additional tutorial needed. The only thing to remember/consider is that the interface of the CPC464 drive needs to be powered from the disc drive, as Cholo said. So, the HxC cannot be connected to the ribbon cable, but needs to be placed inside the DDI.
Alternatively, if you want to use the 3" drive and the HxC you need to connect the HxC to the connector on the ribbon cable. (I'm repeating Cholo here.)

And I can't stress it enough: Be careful with the power connector. If you use the one from the 3" drive to connect to the HxC, 5v and 12v are placed exactly opposite and will fry the hardware if you don't exchange them.
Likewise you have to revert 5v and 12v if you want to use a 3" drive with a working HxC power connector.
Black Mesa Transit Announcement System:
"Work safe, work smart. Your future depends on it."