News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

So where are the Cartridges / Disks

Started by Trebmint, 10:12, 07 July 14

Previous topic - Next topic

Trebmint

So is it possible to still get a decent supply of working 3" disk?

Also whats the status of cartridges... every so often this comes up and somebody has a solution, or is producing cases etc, but as far as I know we still don't have a method of creating + games on cartridge in a form that doesn't look like some heath robinson wiring diagram. Any news?

Bryce

3in disks are available and sold regularly on ebay, sometimes for decent prices and sometimes for silly prices: 60x 3" 3 Zoll Diskette Floppy Disk NEU Schneider CPC 6128 CPC6128 Amstrad Joyce

TFM in collaboration with others is currently working on a batch of cartridges (about 100 I think) which will have original ACID chips installed. I'm not sure what the case situation is for these.

Bryce.

Gryzor

I think the usual going price for a good condition 3" disk is €1, maybe €2 for sealed ones...

TotO

The eternal problem is: Does they will work...
I have bought many new floppies for R-Type, and most was "new-dead".

Here, it's not a like boxed games for collectors but intended to be used.
As there is absolutely no guaranty that they work, I will never spend so much for putting them to the trashcan.
"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

Trebmint

Quote from: TotO on 17:08, 07 July 14
The eternal problem is: Does they will work...
I have bought many new floppies for R-Type, and most was "new-dead".

Here, it's not a like boxed games for collectors but intended to be used.
As there is absolutely no guaranty that they work, I will never spend so much for putting them to the trashcan.
I wondered if this is the case. There seem to be a load of issues of anyone who wants to develop a game. In fact the coding is the easy part it seems

TotO

The problem is mainly related to the fact that those media were never magnetized since 20/30 years!
Depending the storage too... That can impact of all of them. (more than used floppies)

I will love to buy them for a new boxed game, but like you said... It's more easy to get a good code than a good floppy.  ;D
49€, I try and cross fingers... 169€ I don't.
"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

Gryzor

Every now and then I will use a "new" disk, I don't remember ever coming across a bad one...

TotO

Sure, depending of the usage, if you only copy files then that will probably work except if the track 0 is dead.
Copying R-Type originals in track mode for both sides need that all bits on the floppy was OK.

Over 75 boxed games done, 50 was only on new floppies. 25 with used (close to new)
I have trashed around 30 floppies and 80 was refurbished with marked sectors for boards drivers or file usages...

Gryzor

Ouch, that's a high failure rate indeed...

TotO

Sadly, yes.
I have kept one pack of 10 Amsoft's floppies for the posterity, but I know that all are dead.
So, it's only for the object... (small consolation)

Trebmint

Its sad that the media is starting to die... and in actual fact this kinda has a knock on to producing new physical software, in a kind of why bother way?

Kris

What about to use a magnetizer ? Theorically, it is possible to "re-magnetized" the disk and bring them back to life but I don't know if someone already test this solution ?

Bryce

You can re-magnetise a ferric metal, but the problem with disks is that the chemical (magnet) layer breaks down, so there is nothing left to magnetise on these disks.
I sold my last 100 (tested) disks to the Cyberhuhn group. Just left with 30 disks now, the originals I had as a kid and all still work. Eventually they will all die, we really need some sort of modern replacement for disk systems, maybe using an SD Card for storage. We could call it the HxC or something similar :)

Bryce.

Trebmint

Quote from: Bryce on 10:14, 08 July 14
You can re-magnetise a ferric metal, but the problem with disks is that the chemical (magnet) layer breaks down, so there is nothing left to magnetise on these disks.
I sold my last 100 (tested) disks to the Cyberhuhn group. Just left with 30 disks now, the originals I had as a kid and all still work. Eventually they will all die, we really need some sort of modern replacement for disk systems, maybe using an SD Card for storage. We could call it the HxC or something similar :)

Bryce.
I don't think people will want to own an SD card. And that's the end of people writing software good enough to sell. We need an alternative

TotO

As no factory produce magnetic disk in 3" format, to continue to use DSK files in a reliable way, a good alternative is the HxC. Sure, that will never replace floppies or tape. (but great for working)

For peoples, like me, who want to continue to release boxed games, the only way is the community support.
Selling tested floppy in good condition. (simply use the MultiMark program to format them an you will know)

The problem about a replacement media is the fact that you will never identify it as "CPC" nostalgia.
Touching a tape or a 3" floppy will be never the same as a simple 3"1/2 floppy in our minds.

Like for other computers, Ebay is the CPC cancer... Selling untested things for exorbitant prices.
To make the community alive, only sell at descent prices tested things to peoples that are into the community.
Don't buy things that look to be ***RARE*** because a guy want to make money on your back.

It was my 2 cents.  :-\

remax

Quote from: TotO on 10:42, 08 July 14
As no factory produce magnetic disk in 3" format, to continue to use DSK files in a reliable way, a good alternative is the HxC. Sure, that will never replace floppies or tape. (but great for working)

For peoples, like me, who want to continue to release boxed games, the only way is the community support.
Selling tested floppy in good condition. (simply use the MultiMark program to format them an you will know)

The problem about a replacement media is the fact that you will never identify it as "CPC" nostalgia.
Touching a tape or a 3" floppy will be never the same as a simple 3"1/2 floppy in our minds.

Like for other computers, Ebay is the CPC cancer... Selling untested things for exorbitant prices.
To make the community alive, only sell at descent prices tested things to peoples that are into the community.
Don't buy things that look to be ***RARE*** because a guy want to make money on your back.

It was my 2 cents.  :-\

Well, that's not a problem since we don't have money left after buying very expansions you make  :P
Brain Radioactivity

TotO

Said that my boards are expensive!  :P
Since I don't more drink beer, I can buy one each week.  ;D

remax

Quote from: TotO on 11:18, 08 July 14
Said that my boards are expensive!  :P
Since I don't more drink bear, I can buy one each month.  ;D

Drinking bears can indeed be very dangerous...  :o
Brain Radioactivity

TotO

You don't know Davy Crockett?  :-\
And, I said each week... You answered too fast.  ;D

Trebmint

Most bears are not dangerous. But its the Bi-polar bears that can turn nasty!

Bryce

There's a Chuck Norris joke just waiting to happen here.

Bryce.

AMSDOS

I guess the issue lies in how to get the information to the computer. A 664/6128 has it's own adaptor which makes it possible to sent data through it, while a 464 doesn't let you do this.  ::) 
* Using the old Amstrad Languages :D   * with the Firmware :P
* I also like to problem solve code in BASIC :)   * And type-in Type-Ins! :D

Home Computing Weekly Programs
Popular Computing Weekly Programs
Your Computer Programs
Updated Other Program Links on Profile Page (Update April 16/15 phew!)
Programs for Turbo Pascal 3