some people already brainstorming retrodev 2016 ?

Started by trabitboy, 11:40, 07 March 16

Previous topic - Next topic

trabitboy

Hi ,
I was wondering if I was the only nutter already thinking what he wants to do for retrodev 2016  :picard:
Something meatier than a labyrinth game  :D
I tend to need a couple of months to do something showable.
How do the others work?

ervin

I would love to do another game with my tile-based 3d engine, but I just don't think I can put myself through another CPC game dev!
I'm still burnt out from retrodev 2015!  :-\

trabitboy

I'm thinking flick screen action platforming :)
Time to prototype the engine !
Never did sound before also.

awergh

Nope your not the only one thinking about it. Although my idea is not going to be very original but I figure I won't be as adventurous for my fast attempt.
The real question is how many months is adequate to make something I'm happy with, I was thinking of starting in April but maybe that is too soon and I haven't finished the other programming I have been doing.

reidrac

Someone mentioned on Twitter something about lots of prizes (up to 1000€) and "surprises", I don't know what it means if it's related to the rules or what.

I hope they announce it soon enough or I think I'll pass. I can't do another sprint this year. If I don't have enough time so I'm happy with the result, I rather not submit anything at all.
Released The Return of Traxtor, Golden Tail, Magica, The Dawn of Kernel, Kitsune`s Curse, Brick Rick and Hyperdrive for the CPC.

If you like my games and want to show some appreciation, you can always buy me a coffee.

TFM

Quote from: ervin on 13:58, 07 March 16
I would love to do another game with my tile-based 3d engine, but I just don't think I can put myself through another CPC game dev!
I'm still burnt out from retrodev 2015!  :-\

But you game was the true surprise. Even if other got ranked higher, they didn't show something new. And you even made it in 3D!
Maybe one day you like to make another game, this would be awesome!!! :) :) :)
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

ervin

Quote from: TFM on 19:58, 29 March 16
But you game was the true surprise. Even if other got ranked higher, they didn't show something new. And you even made it in 3D!
Maybe one day you like to make another game, this would be awesome!!! :) :) :)

Thanks man.
8)

I enjoyed writing RUNCPC very much, but it was so, so time-consuming.
I just don't think I can go through that again.

Even if I choose to write a (technically) simpler game, I'd still spend many, many hours optimising it.
Because I can't help it.
:laugh:

The truth is that I want to learn something more modern (Unity), so that doesn't leave enough time for another CPC project.
If there were more hours in a day, for sure, I'd create another 3D CPC game with the same engine - perhaps a racer.
But I just don't have the energy at the moment.

Incidentally, RUNCPC has been reviewed over at cpcgamereviews!
Feels great to have something I created reviewed on an important website like that.
Pretty good review too (though strangely the difficulty wasn't mentioned).

TFM

I would have given it a 10. Yes, its hard, but that's how good games are. End even I got some levels forward, so yes, it's hard, but not too hard.  :)
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

mr_lou

I would love to do another game on the CPC. In fact I think about it quite often.
But "life" just doesn't let me.

I have no clue how other people manages to do a ton of stuff with their lives. To me, having a job and family takes almost all of my time.

But I promise, as soon as I win the lottery and don't need to work anymore, I'll be coding my next CPC game!  ;)

steve

Then you should invest some of your precious spare time in writing a program to predict lottery numbers :)

||C|-|E||

Quote from: steve on 21:23, 30 March 16
Then you should invest some of your precious spare time in writing a program to predict lottery numbers :)

Don´t try it, I wanted to code it long ago but it never worked. Who knows why!!  :picard2:

EgoTrip

Quote from: steve on 21:23, 30 March 16

Hack into the National Lottery computers and copy the software they use to pre-determine the numbers.

Singaja

Quote from: EgoTrip on 09:20, 31 March 16
Hack into the National Lottery computers and copy the software they use to pre-determine the numbers.
Interestingly there was a case in Bulgaria in 2009 when exactly the same numbers were drawn twice in a row :o

mr_lou

It's probably rigged, so we probably shouldn't expect to win anything ever...
[/url]

[EDIT: Please use the YouTube button to embed your video]

Optimus

Many people have told me, hey you are a mathematician/programmer, wanna make an algorithm that predicts the lottery? What if current numbers are connected to previous number somehow.
Although, theoritically every lottery series are independent with the previous ones I would assume, unless I don't know about lotteries and they have some algorithmical process to produce these numbers too. I thought it was just totally messing with random balls.

A new gamedev? Interesting. Although I don't think I will rush it if it's soon enough. Maybe it would be a good opportunity to be motivated to progress with the wolfenstein/rpg game, although highly unlikely to release something there, maybe only use it as a motivational sattelite to move on things.

TFM

Well, everything is connected to everything.
TFM of FutureSoft

MaV

Quote from: Singaja on 09:38, 31 March 16Interestingly there was a case in Bulgaria in 2009 when exactly the same numbers were drawn twice in a row :o
Given enough tries that's a likely outcome (though I suspect there's been a little "help" involved in this case.)
Black Mesa Transit Announcement System:
"Work safe, work smart. Your future depends on it."

Singaja

Quote from: MaV on 12:51, 04 April 16
Given enough tries that's a likely outcome (though I suspect there's been a little "help" involved in this case.)
Sure , it's 1/13 983 816 * 1/13 983 816 = 1/195 547 109 921 856 ~ 5 * 10^-15
For reference the universe exists probably for ~4.4*10^17 seconds

EDIT:
I actually gave it a 2nd though and I think counterintuitively there's actually probably nothing special about the case.
The odds that I gave 1/13 983 816 * 1/13 983 816 are odds of 2 arbitrary chosen combinations appearing. But the Bulgarian case is not the same, because the 1st draw is irrelevant it's the 2nd that must match the 1st one. And the odds of the 2nd one matching the 1st whatever are actually 1/13 983 816 (just as any possible outcome). To put simply let's imagine the 1st draw is 1 2 3 4 5 6, in the 2nd draw 1 2 3 4 5 6 has the same chance of appearing (let's exclude the possibility the lottery being rigged) as any other possible combination.

EgoTrip

I see I'm not the only one getting impatient for this. No point starting anything until I know the rules and theme this time.

MaV

Quote from: Singaja on 14:14, 04 April 16EDIT:
I actually gave it a 2nd though and I think counterintuitively there's actually probably nothing special about the case.
The odds that I gave 1/13 983 816 * 1/13 983 816 are odds of 2 arbitrary chosen sequences appearing. But the Bulgarian case is not the same, because the 1st draw is irrelevant it's the 2nd that must match the 1st one. And the odds of the 2nd one matching the 1st whatever are actually 1/13 983 816 (just as any possible outcome). To put simply let's imagine the 1st draw is 1 2 3 4 5 6, in the 2nd draw 1 2 3 4 5 6 has the same chance of appearing (let's exclude the possibility the lottery being rigged) as any other possible combination.
Nicely done! :D
So, a second draw that equals the first is probable though very, very unlikely within our lifetime. The chances are even a bit higher because we're not talking about that particular lottery having two identical draws. It could have happened to any lottery in the world.
Black Mesa Transit Announcement System:
"Work safe, work smart. Your future depends on it."

EgoTrip

Quote from: Singaja on 14:14, 04 April 16
Sure , it's 1/13 983 816 * 1/13 983 816 = 1/195 547 109 921 856 ~ 5 * 10^-15
For reference the universe exists probably for ~4.4*10^17 seconds

EDIT:
The odds that I gave 1/13 983 816 * 1/13 983 816 are odds of 2 arbitrary chosen sequences appearing. But the Bulgarian case is not the same, because the 1st draw is irrelevant it's the 2nd that must match the 1st one. And the odds of the 2nd one matching the 1st whatever are actually 1/13 983 816 (just as any possible outcome). To put simply let's imagine the 1st draw is 1 2 3 4 5 6, in the 2nd draw 1 2 3 4 5 6 has the same chance of appearing (let's exclude the possibility the lottery being rigged) as any other possible combination.

From a mathematical perspective, its no different to flipping a coin or rolling a die, the outcome of the second flip/roll is independent of the outcome of the first. Assuming they are not rigged of course.

However looking at it from a real world angle as the lottery odds are so high and human nature is corruptible, its logical to come to the conclusion it is fixed. The house always wins.