News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

CPC464 Lost one colour

Started by simwalsh, 10:44, 10 December 23

Previous topic - Next topic

simwalsh

Hi, 
I took my CPC464 out of the attic and started her up mainly for the kids. It's looks like it has lost red in the rgb output. Bright red {colour 6} shows as black on the monitor. Got a scart lead to check it wasn't the monitor and still shows as black. I checked the resistors after the 40007 chip. Is there something else I should consider or is it the 40007 chip faulty?

Many thanks for your help! 

Rabs

Quote from: simwalsh on 10:44, 10 December 23Hi,
I took my CPC464 out of the attic and started her up mainly for the kids. It's looks like it has lost red in the rgb output. Bright red {colour 6} shows as black on the monitor. Got a scart lead to check it wasn't the monitor and still shows as black. I checked the resistors after the 40007 chip. Is there something else I should consider or is it the 40007 chip faulty?

Many thanks for your help!
Over time and with the stress of the RGB connector being inserted,  dry joints can occur on the PCB and this sometimes results in the loss of one of the colour signals. Try reflowing the solder on the RGB connector.

simwalsh

Quote from: Rabs on 14:13, 10 December 23Over time and with the stress of the RGB connector being inserted,  dry joints can occur on the PCB and this sometimes results in the loss of one of the colour signals. Try reflowing the solder on the RGB connector
Tried reflowing the solder on the RGB connector and some others. 

Colour 3 (dark) red actually looks good but colour bright red comes out as black. colour 26 bright white shows as colour 23 pastel cyan. it is like R of RGB can't go any higher than 128 value

Rabs

Quote from: simwalsh on 15:32, 10 December 23
Quote from: Rabs on 14:13, 10 December 23Over time and with the stress of the RGB connector being inserted,  dry joints can occur on the PCB and this sometimes results in the loss of one of the colour signals. Try reflowing the solder on the RGB connector
Tried reflowing the solder on the RGB connector and some others.

Colour 3 (dark) red actually looks good but colour bright red comes out as black. colour 26 bright white shows as colour 23 pastel cyan. it is like R of RGB can't go any higher than 128 value
Ah, I see what you mean.

Are you able to measure the output levels?

This link may be of interest RGB Outputs.

Brocky

maybe check the resistors between the gate array and connector

Rabs

Is there anything in this thread that helps Cpc 464 not displaying red?

Similar but maybe not the same root cause. Contains some tips on checking the RGB connector and resistance.

SerErris

Can you bend up the red color from the gatearray and measure the three voltage levels for Red of, red half and red full?

This can rule out the GA for beeing faulty (or confirm fault there).

If there is a fault in the output of the GA, then there is no other fix than replacing the GA.
Proud owner of 2 Schneider CPC 464, 1 Schneider CPC 6128, GT65 and lots of books
Still learning all the details on how things work.

simwalsh

Quote from: SerErris on 14:57, 11 December 23Can you bend up the red color from the gatearray and measure the three voltage levels for Red of, red half and red full?

This can rule out the GA for beeing faulty (or confirm fault there).

If there is a fault in the output of the GA, then there is no other fix than replacing the GA.

Thanks for all the help from everyone. I flipped out the red leg of the GA and measured got the following when selecting one colour for the entire screen:

0% Red 0.097 V
50% Red 0.119 V
100% red 0.097 V

Compared it to green

0% Green 0.485 V
50% Green 0.623 V
100% Green 2.85 V

Based on these results looks clear to me that the GA is the problem. found one on ebay so hopefully that solves it

SerErris

There is now also an gatearray replacement available if you cannot get your hands on the real thing.

Yes looks like red is actually not doing a lot at all. Regardless of the output it is more or less the same. Sure the pulldowns are missing without the pin attached, but there is nothing driving it high.
Proud owner of 2 Schneider CPC 464, 1 Schneider CPC 6128, GT65 and lots of books

Audronic

@SerErris 

Do you have a link to the Replacement Gate Array Please

Keep Safe

Ray
Procrastinators Unite,
If it Ain't Broke PLEASE Don't Fix it.
I keep telling you I am Not Pedantic.
As I Live " Down Under " I Take my Gravity Tablets and Wear my Magnetic Boots to Keep me from Falling off.

SerErris

simwalsh

Update: fitted the new gate array and it works very well, i'd even say the colours are more vibrant than they used to be.

Thanks for all the help. now to annoy my kids with my childhood experiences