News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

CPC464 voltage drop

Started by neo2154, 20:17, 05 July 23

Previous topic - Next topic

neo2154

Hello everybody.

I recently bought a CPC464 with the Board MC0044D (medium sized), and unfortunately it does not work.

I am supplying the board through the barrel connector and a lab power supply, and when i switch on the computer with the computer switch, the voltage drops suddenly to 3,7volts an flow a current of 4Amperes!!! I dont have monitor so i cant check video output for the moment, but the red led is not lighting.

In order to discard fails, i have disconnected the cassette connector, and i switched on only the board shorting pins 1 and 3 of the board connector. The result is the same, voltage drop and excessive current. So the problem is on the board.

I retired the 47uF capacitor and i tested ceramic caps so as to identify any shortcircuit, but i have not found any fail...

Looking the ic's temperatures, when i leave only the board switched on for a minute, i noticed that the 74HCU04AP and 40007 IC are hotter than the other ICs.

I measured voltage on the ics and is in general roundind 1,2Volts, very far of 5 volts...

I dont know exactly what more to check. The general status of the board is good without signals of oxide.

I am almost certain that there is a short circuit on the board, but i am a bit lost right now... Any help or orientation would be appreciated...

Thanks in advance

neo2154

I am thinking if the board can be switched on without monitor and without cassette unit, supplying it through the barrel connector and shorting pins 1 and 3...

I suppose yes, specially for check voltages, but i ask here just in case the answer would be NO ;)...

Thanks!!

Rabs

Quote from: neo2154 on 20:25, 05 July 23I am thinking if the board can be switched on without monitor and without cassette unit, supplying it through the barrel connector and shorting pins 1 and 3...

I suppose yes, specially for check voltages, but i ask here just in case the answer would be NO ;)...

Thanks!!
Hi, sounds like a short, and looks like you are doing all the right things. Unfortunately you do not know what has happened to it before you got it. Possibly an overvoltage but a guess. If it is follow @eto recent thread.

eto

Quote from: Rabs on 20:57, 05 July 23If it is follow eto recent thread.
In my case, overvoltage fried several RAM ICs where at least one of them then created a short between VCC and GND:

https://www.cpcwiki.eu/forum/hardware-related/fried-my-6128-3-ohms-between-gnd-and-vcc/

Quote from: neo2154 on 20:17, 05 July 23I am almost certain that there is a short circuit on the board, but i am a bit lost right now... Any help or orientation would be appreciated...

You can measure the resistance between GND and VCC on the board to check if there is a short (or almost a short with low resistance). Then your CPC will draw whatever it gets from the power supply. It definitely makes sense to limit the current to less than 4A. 

Btw: The 40007 is always hotter than the rest, that's normal. 

neo2154

Quote from: eto on 08:42, 06 July 23
Quote from: Rabs on 20:57, 05 July 23If it is follow eto recent thread.
In my case, overvoltage fried several RAM ICs where at least one of them then created a short between VCC and GND:

https://www.cpcwiki.eu/forum/hardware-related/fried-my-6128-3-ohms-between-gnd-and-vcc/

Quote from: neo2154 on 20:17, 05 July 23I am almost certain that there is a short circuit on the board, but i am a bit lost right now... Any help or orientation would be appreciated...

You can measure the resistance between GND and VCC on the board to check if there is a short (or almost a short with low resistance). Then your CPC will draw whatever it gets from the power supply. It definitely makes sense to limit the current to less than 4A.

Btw: The 40007 is always hotter than the rest, that's normal.

Good Morning.Thanks for the answers.Yesterday night, i was checking voltage and resistance in the input, and i noticed when i switch on the board a negative voltage  :o

So checking the barrel input cable i was using, surprise, i was reversing the polarity  :picard2:.

After set the correct polarity, the board started normally. For troubleshooting checklists it could be a classic fail  :-\

I felt like Homer Simpson with monkeys in my head  ;D

10 hours lost in my research. The only thing that comforts me is that the board has not apparently died in the process because of the 4Amps of current i have been injecting to the board.

I will follow reporting my results.

Thanks again...