Dandanator Mini “Send game via serial port…” stops

Started by !FOZ!, 06:43, 11 March 24

Previous topic - Next topic

!FOZ!

Running v2.5 of the CPC Dandanator software under Java 8 on a Mac (latest OS). I am unable to write to the cart or use the USB mode to send a game to the machine. In the later case when sending a game (and I have tried a few) it seems to send a couple of blocks and then just stops with no error in the console. The game snapshot screen appears to start to load but does not complete before the send operation appears to just stop without error.

My cart is also on v2.5, and I have tried v2.6.1 of the client software. It seems the main thread is riddled with folks also having USB connection issues, with only those that have replaced the serial IC having some luck? That said in my case I am seeing some comms? I have attached some pictures of my cart recently bought.

I've watched the Amstrad Noob videos and I noted even he claimed one update got hung on block 1 and then after reducing the number of games appeared to work. Note that in my case I am just trying to get the one off game send working.

This device seems magic, but scattered docs and flakey behavior seems disapointing. Any pointers?

dodogildo

Did you also try running the Jar on Windows?
It may seem irrelevant but first I got problems updating a Dandanator Mini using the Macbook Pro M2. Then I tried doing it with Parallels Desktop/Windows on Mac and it magically worked.

PS. Got other problems with another Dandanator (DES) but turned out a faulty USB to serial chip CH340G was responsible.
M'enfin!

!FOZ!

Thanks - time to dig out the old Windows laptop then! I am hoping since I see some data exchange - this is not a replace CH340G situation...

!FOZ!

Ok i can confirm that running Windows with ParrallelDesktop does work - all I did was install Windows (it does this for you) wait a long time - and then from the menu select the USB serial device and it appeared as COM3 in the Windows VM and yep it worked. Most odd. Now that i know this I will dig out physical Windows hardware - compiling ROMS is slooooow this way. Thanks for the help!