News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

DMP 2000 - spare ribbon

Started by Strike4711, 09:08, 02 February 24

Previous topic - Next topic

Strike4711

Hi all,
I have searched the web for a spare ribbon for this printer.
No success so far.
Does anyone know if there are still sources available?

Thanks ...

Prodatron

Unfortunately they are not produced anymore. It is now about two years ago when we were discussing this here in this forum IIRC. It seems that you will have to use an old ribbon and re-ink it.

GRAPHICAL Z80 MULTITASKING OPERATING SYSTEM

Strike4711

Thank you ...
I have seen the old posts.
My hope was that probably new sources have been found  ;)

eto

That topic comes up every couple of months (weeks if you consider Facebook) - and no luck so far. 

darkhalf

@Strike4711 I bought a DMP2000 from ebay for cheap mid last year and went down this rabbit hole of trying to find a ribbon. If you search for DMP2000 you will see the posts about this

With regards to sourcing we had some leads but they literally all dried up, like the ribbons themselves  :laugh: which is partly the reason you don't find any for sale. Not to mention the original moulds for the cartridges were not available (or could not be used to manufacture further carts)

The DMP2000 is based from the Riteman printers, which also has similar (but different) printer cartridges to the DMP-100 and VIC-1525 printer. Both of these printers use the a similar cart, but shorter length ribbon

I ended up sourcing a sealed new DMP-100 cartridge from the states, and the ribbon was dry and the small foam cylinder inside which holds the ink had deteriorated. I also got a VIC-1525 printer with cartridge and the foam was fine. Now since the ribbons were shorter, I needed to get a similar size ribbon from Aliexpress and then cut/glue to size and reink the foam cartridge. This seems to work but the proper way to join ribbons is using an ultrasonic welder. 

The other problem is that the cartridge mounts are different, which required some cut and glueing to make it fit the mount points of the DMP2000. Not ideal, but the only option we have

There is also a seller on ebay selling these DMP-100 compatible carts for a fair bit of money $80-$120AUD (considering what my aliexpress ribbons cost $15AUD) 
CPC464/GT64, CPC464 Plus/CTM640, 2 x CPC6128/CTM644

chinnyhill10

Quote from: Strike4711 on 09:08, 02 February 24Hi all,
I have searched the web for a spare ribbon for this printer.
No success so far.
Does anyone know if there are still sources available?

Thanks ...

I ended up reinking my existing one. There was a seller in Spain who had some a few years ago but they were not willing to export them. And they cost a small fortune. Re-inking an old one is the way to go.
--
ChinnyVision - Reviews Of Classic Games Using Original Hardware
chinnyhill10 - YouTube

Strike4711

Thanks guys for your detailed response.
Highly appreciated 👍
I have also reinked successfully the ribbon that I have. Works ok so far.
Also considered 3D printing the two plastic parts. Don't know if this is a viable approach.
Will talk to my son, he's an expert this 😉

eto

Quote from: Strike4711 on 09:12, 03 February 24I have also reinked successfully the ribbon that I have.
how did you do that?

I also tried but never came to a acceptable result

Strike4711

I have used the ink pad of an old rubber stamp. Surprisingly the ink was still in good condition. So I pressed the ribbon on the pad bit by bit to soak up the ink. Worked quite well and the result was good for the first test prints. 
I have no idea if this will work in the long term. We will see ...

darkhalf

Ink needs to be oil based (most are water based) like this
https://www.officenational.co.za/rubber-stamps/endorsing-ink-30ml-black-instm0005/

It comes with a brush and you can wet the ribbon, but the main part inside (the foam roller) needs to absorb it to last longer. The parts of the cart pry apart

QuoteAlso considered 3D printing the two plastic parts. Don't know if this is a viable approach.
That would be great, but it would be a bit of work. Looking at four pieces, plus a wheel inside and a substitute for the original foam roller. The ribbon you want is for PR-2/B (same width)

eliot

Hello,

not sure at all they're OK but I have 2 of them ("Fullmark" brand), totally new, still in their original blister.

I can send to you one ribbon to test on your printer.

Strike4711

Quote from: eliot on 21:59, 07 February 24Hello,

not sure at all they're OK but I have 2 of them ("Fullmark" brand), totally new, still in their original blister.

I can send to you one ribbon to test on your printer.

Thanks eliot ... send you a PM

Strike4711

Today I have completely disassembled the right plastic housing of the ribbon.
Was surprisingly easy.
Suppose that the foam ring needs to be filled with ink. It's completely dry. No surprise 😊

darkhalf

QuoteSuppose that the foam ring needs to be filled with ink. It's completely dry. No surprise
Yeah so if you use the replacement ink I mentioned and let that soak in, it should work. Wear gloves with this, it gets very messy. The foam cylinder on one of my carts completely disintegrated due to its age  :(

eto

Quote from: Strike4711 on 16:50, 10 February 24Today I have completely disassembled the right plastic housing of the ribbon.
Thanks for the pictures - that helped... I soaked the sponge with (oil-based) ink and after a few test-prints the ribbon is soaked again and the print is perfectly black.

May I take your picture to create a "how to" Wiki article?

Strike4711

Quote from: eto on 00:27, 27 February 24
Quote from: Strike4711 on 16:50, 10 February 24Today I have completely disassembled the right plastic housing of the ribbon.
Thanks for the pictures - that helped... I soaked the sponge with (oil-based) ink and after a few test-prints the ribbon is soaked again and the print is perfectly black.

May I take your picture to create a "how to" Wiki article?
Sure ... no problem 😉