News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

GX4000 power supply generally bad?

Started by eto, 11:05, 08 May 23

Previous topic - Next topic

eto

I had a conversion on Facebook where someone says that the GX4000 power supply should generally be avoided, and that it's a known fact that you should not use the GX4000 with the original power supply as it will fry the system - even if you are not using the C4CPC.

I haven't seen such a conversation or comment yet and even on the Wiki, there is no information regarding the power supply, except for the issue with the C4CPC.

Any ideas? Is this a true thing?

Bryce

You almost answered the question yourself: Facebook = Misinformed, incorrect rumour spreading. If you ask any of them to explain why, they can't. The best you will get is "They read it somewhere". The original GX4000 PSU is well built and does not have any common failure mode that could endanger the consoles electronics.

Bryce.

eto

Quote from: Bryce on 11:46, 08 May 23You almost answered the question yourself: Facebook = Misinformed, incorrect rumour spreading. If you ask any of them to explain why, they can't. The best you will get is "They read it somewhere". The original GX4000 PSU is well built and does not have any common failure mode that could endanger the consoles electronics.

Bryce.
I thought so.

But I also thought I should better double check before responding ;-)

Bryce

GUNHED

Did it happen to anybody here?

Did a GX4000 PSU fry your console?
Please tell!
http://futureos.de --> Get the revolutionary FutureOS (Update: 2023.11.30)
http://futureos.cpc-live.com/files/LambdaSpeak_RSX_by_TFM.zip --> Get the RSX-ROM for LambdaSpeak :-) (Updated: 2021.12.26)

Anthony Flack

Maybe people are confusing it with the original C64 PSU which supposedly spikes the voltage and fries your machine when it fails, not that I have been willing to test it myself. 

CraigsBar

The GX4000 PSU comes with a sticker on it saying care when plugging in. After hearing stories from chinny and others of consoles dying back in the 90's.... You have to ask yourself, do you feel lucky, well do ya, punk!
IRC:  #Retro4All on Freenode

GUNHED

Stories.... 

Again... Anybody here who can talk from own experiences please?
http://futureos.de --> Get the revolutionary FutureOS (Update: 2023.11.30)
http://futureos.cpc-live.com/files/LambdaSpeak_RSX_by_TFM.zip --> Get the RSX-ROM for LambdaSpeak :-) (Updated: 2021.12.26)

CraigsBar

Quote from: GUNHED on 22:29, 12 May 23Stories....

Well for a few euro I'd rather have a new, modern 7v power supply, rather than a 11v one that has sat for at least 30 years probably not used. That is the same reason I have modern PSU's for my C64, Atari 8 bit and Sam Coupe. 
IRC:  #Retro4All on Freenode

eto

Quote from: CraigsBar on 09:52, 17 May 23

Well for a few euro I'd rather have a new, modern 7v power supply, rather than a 11v one that has sat for at least 30 years probably not used. That is the same reason I have modern PSU's for my C64, Atari 8 bit and Sam Coupe.

We probably all agree, that it's a good idea to replace it. But not because the original PSU will fry your GX4000. That seems to be a myth and it should be treated as such. 

Bryce

Quote from: CraigsBar on 09:52, 17 May 23

I'd rather use an old linear supply than risk my retro hardware with a switched mode PSU. Stilll use the old brown wedge on my C64.

Bryce.