HxC File manager works me wrong on SD floppy emulator

Started by javiertoti, 18:50, 23 October 23

Previous topic - Next topic

javiertoti

Hi, I am having serious difficulties to use the HxC file manager "recent" versions, 4 and 3.5 with my HxC SD Floppy Emulator rev C and 1.8.7.1 firmware.

These file manager versions generates several kinds of errors and I can't operate normally.

Too often it doesn't write succesfully the data into the SD Card, I have used several SD cards with the same result, so I am forced to browse files manually in the device or use quite older versions of the file manager.

If by luck the file manager writes correctly the SD Card, then the back and forward buttons of the device are stucked, like locked in AUTOBOOT Slot 000. I press the buttons and they don't increase or decrease the slot number, remains in slot 000.

Is it possible that both versions are not fully tested for the SD HxC device? I have tried a hundred of combinations and nothing. The issue with the slot lock makes me think that the device is expecting another kind of signal like a knob, instead the back and forward button. Could anybody help me, please?

I only can use this device manually , without using the file manager and it's a pity.

Thanks in advance.

norecess464

Hi,

I'm the author of the HxC Manager.

I successfully tested the V4 of the Manager on the HxC SD Floppy Emulator rev C. It worked well for me.

But, you say the V3.5 is also causing you issues.
V4 was a major upgrade so I could understand potential instabilities.
But the V3.5 was there for years and used by many, many people so what you experience is more intriguing.

I would suggest starting "fresh" with an empty SDCard (format it, etc).
Then, copy the config file in the root directly.
Then, add 1 or 2 folders and add 1 or 2 files in each of those.
And see what happens...

BTW, unlike the Gotek, please take note that the HxC device (SDCard version) only supports HFE files (not DSK).

Best regards
My personal website: https://norecess.cpcscene.net
My current project is Sonic GX, a remake of Sonic the Hedgehog for the awesome Amstrad GX-4000 game console!

javiertoti

Quote from: norecess464 on 19:14, 23 October 23Hi,

I'm the author of the HxC Manager.

I successfully tested the V4 of the Manager on the HxC SD Floppy Emulator rev C. It worked well for me.

But, you say the V3.5 is also causing you issues.
V4 was a major upgrade so I could understand potential instabilities.
But the V3.5 was there for years and used by many, many people so what you experience is more intriguing.

I would suggest starting "fresh" with an empty SDCard (format it, etc).
Then, copy the config file in the root directly.
Then, add 1 or 2 folders and add 1 or 2 files in each of those.
And see what happens...

BTW, unlike the Gotek, please take note that the HxC device (SDCard version) only supports HFE files (not DSK).

Best regards

Hi, @norecess464 , thanks for your fast reply, I have needed a few days to have acces to the Amstrad , check it again and reply. Nothing of that works, device is like locked in slot 000 after trying to save the config of the HxC File manager on the Amstrad. I do not know what else could be... I changed the screen display two years ago, could it be the reason of this?

Can you tell me what is your firmware version?

And of course I use hfe files, Is the only way that I can load some files manually from the device without the file manager.
Best regards.

norecess464

Sorry, I can't remember with the old HxC Floppy Emulator if there is an internal HFE browser or not. (The Gotek has this feature for sure).

Did you try with another SDCard ? Is your Floppy Emulator device correctly connected to the Amstrad, and is it correctly configured (jumper settings) ? Issues could be from many sources.

> Nothing of that works, device is like locked in slot 000 after trying to save the config of the HxC File manager on the Amstrad.
So, you mean you were able to browse the files with the HxC Manager from the SDCard, make your own slot selection, but the saving process gets problematic ?
Which makes me wonder if the "READ-ONLY" physical lock of the SDCard correctly unset.

Also, does the Manager output an error ? If yes, what is the error code printed on screen ?
All errors in the manager are correctly handled with a special code, allowing me to know exactly which part of the manager is failing.

My current project is Sonic GX, a remake of Sonic the Hedgehog for the awesome Amstrad GX-4000 game console!

GUNHED

Recent HxC update!

I use buttons, they work  ;)
http://futureos.de --> Get the revolutionary FutureOS (Update: 2023.11.30)
http://futureos.cpc-live.com/files/LambdaSpeak_RSX_by_TFM.zip --> Get the RSX-ROM for LambdaSpeak :-) (Updated: 2021.12.26)

javiertoti

Quote from: norecess464 on 14:49, 01 November 23Sorry, I can't remember with the old HxC Floppy Emulator if there is an internal HFE browser or not. (The Gotek has this feature for sure).

Did you try with another SDCard ? Is your Floppy Emulator device correctly connected to the Amstrad, and is it correctly configured (jumper settings) ? Issues could be from many sources.

> Nothing of that works, device is like locked in slot 000 after trying to save the config of the HxC File manager on the Amstrad.
So, you mean you were able to browse the files with the HxC Manager from the SDCard, make your own slot selection, but the saving process gets problematic ?
Which makes me wonder if the "READ-ONLY" physical lock of the SDCard correctly unset.

Also, does the Manager output an error ? If yes, what is the error code printed on screen ?
All errors in the manager are correctly handled with a special code, allowing me to know exactly which part of the manager is failing.

Hi again friend. Different firmwares and file manager versions creates different errors. You get the idea, I can use the HxC from the display with his buttons but If I try to use the program file manager there is something writing wrong imo. With the last firm and file manager I don't get any error message when the file manager saves but the device remains locked with the slots later.

I have uploaded a short video to show you the behavior of the buttons after save succesfully? with the file manager.

I tried hundreds of combinations this years. Jumper and wires are correctly (if not I wouldn't load games from the own device file manager) SD card is not locked (I wouldn't write files from computer if not) , I have tried with several SD cards and several Amstrads ... it is quite frustrating.
One curious thing is that it looks to save only a few slots of the requested to save. For example, I asigned all the slots but once the file manager save all the changes, and re entering to the program, the list only have a few of slots recorded.  This issue happens even if I only use the same file for all the slots (last pic).

Can you send your HXCSDFE.cfg and AUTOBOOT.hfe files here please? What is your firm version?

I hope it helps. A lot of thanks again.

Quote from: GUNHED on 16:34, 01 November 23Recent HxC update!

I use buttons, they work  ;)

Can you send your HXCSDFE.cfg and AUTOBOOT.hfe files here please? Is your firmware the attached one?

Thanks.

javiertoti

GOOD NEWS! the firmware file that @GUNHED has attached has made the trick and it works fine now! I also changed the 6128 this time and the soft to format the sd card, I believe that is possible that sometimes it formatted the card with fat16 instead fat32.

I am very glad to have this finally working :D

Thank you @norecess464 and @GUNHED , you rock!

norecess464

Glad to know the HxC Manager is working well for you @javiertoti .

FYI I worked on a future update of the HxC Manager lately, nothing "major" : better navigation keys for the 464 users, it's now using SDCC Version 4.3.0 producing a better C->asm implementation (was Version 4.2.0), it doesn't assume anymore that AmsDOS ROM is located at ROM7 (which brings full compatibility when UniDOS is installed), and few minor internal enhancements... I'm testing it through the coming weeks, I'm not in a hurry, targeting a new release for Xmas ;-)

GUNHED

Sorry, this forum does not allow me to attach the named files here. We have this problem since over 10 years actually. So sorry, but you can contact me via email.
http://futureos.cpc-live.com/files/LambdaSpeak_RSX_by_TFM.zip --> Get the RSX-ROM for LambdaSpeak :-) (Updated: 2021.12.26)

javiertoti

Quote from: GUNHED on 19:52, 19 November 23Sorry, this forum does not allow me to attach the named files here. We have this problem since over 10 years actually. So sorry, but you can contact me via email.

Hi friend, is not neccesary I have fixed finally with your firmware :D

Quote from: norecess464 on 16:19, 19 November 23Glad to know the HxC Manager is working well for you @javiertoti .

FYI I worked on a future update of the HxC Manager lately, nothing "major" : better navigation keys for the 464 users, it's now using SDCC Version 4.3.0 producing a better C->asm implementation (was Version 4.2.0), it doesn't assume anymore that AmsDOS ROM is located at ROM7 (which brings full compatibility when UniDOS is installed), and few minor internal enhancements... I'm testing it through the coming weeks, I'm not in a hurry, targeting a new release for Xmas ;-)

Exciting news ;D Santa will have nice goods this year, thanks.

eto

Quote from: GUNHED on 19:52, 19 November 23Sorry, this forum does not allow me to attach the named files here. We have this problem since over 10 years actually. So sorry, but you can contact me via email.
what exactly does not work for me? I never had issues attaching a file. Some file types are not allowed but putting it into a ZIP solves that. 

GUNHED

Quote from: eto on 20:42, 19 November 23
what exactly does not work for me? I never had issues attaching a file. Some file types are not allowed but putting it into a ZIP solves that.
I don't have the time and nerves to do that all the time, but because nobody is allowing CPC files like *.HFE for example. Cool for you if you have time for such stupid tasks, I'm not going to waste the few time I have left for Zipping files.  :picard:
Nothing against you, but this problem just gets on my nerves! Time not to check in here so often.  ;) :)