News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

X-Mass help please

Started by 00WReX, 14:29, 26 February 15

Previous topic - Next topic

TotO

Quote from: Bryce on 19:08, 28 April 15
5.3V is enough to fry some of the ICs used on the expansions and many in the CPC. I wouldn't do that too often or too long!
I doubt about that... As parts are 5V±10%. And as I said, it is the maximum.
For information, a friend used its CPC during 5 years with a 6.1V PSU w/o problem... Then ? I saw that and put a 5V instead[nb]The fact is that he plugged a HxC and the LCD screen was always full dark, and he asked me why...  :laugh: [/nb].  :-\

In all cases, the best is to use a 5V PSU with the MotherX4 !
"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

Bryce

If you check the datasheet of almost any 74LS chip you'll see that VCC absolute maximum is 5.25V (only military versions: 54LS go to 5.5V). You may be lucky if the rest of the circuit is holding the rail at exactly 5.3V, but any tiny spike could take it over the limit and you are definitely shortening the life of the CPCs already old ICs at 5.3V.

What parts claim 5V +/-10% ?

Bryce.

TotO

I don't use LS parts on my boards.  ;D
And I have never seen a 5V±5% part frying because 5.3V instead of 5.25V.  :-\

EDIT:
Looking datasheets, HC parts are +2.0V to +6V and HCT parts that are +4.5V to +5.5V.
"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

Bryce

The user won't have much use for your expansions if your recommendation ends up killing their CPC. I'm sure they'll thank you for that advice.

Bryce.

TFM

Come on guys, I guess we all agree that 5.0 V is the best choice. No need to struggle about details.

Our CPCs will life a long life anyway.  :)
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

CraigsBar

Quote from: TFM on 21:47, 28 April 15
Come on guys, I guess we all agree that 5.0 V is the best choice. No need to struggle about details.

Our CPCs will life a long life anyway.  :)
and if not, Dr Bryce does have an excellent ant surprisingly affordable hospital for sick cpc's.

Craih
IRC:  #Retro4All on Freenode

TotO

Quote from: Bryce on 21:04, 28 April 15
The user won't have much use for your expansions if your recommendation ends up killing their CPC. I'm sure they'll thank you for that advice.
Bryce.
I don't said to use a 6V PSU, but that MotherX4 can support an overrated voltage up to 6V.
I imagine that when you are using your car, you don't go each time to the switch (red zone) to change the gear?!
It is not a recommendation. The user have to deal with a 5V PSU. It is printed on the board.

It was just a stress test to see if a problem occured with the MotherX4 and a bad PSU.
The CPC stay at 4.9V and is not affected at all by that...That will not kill it.
So, if users got sort of problems with the MotherX4, please contact me!

Bryce

Ok, fair enough. Just as long as no user thinks it's ok to go outside the limits.

Bryce.

Note to self: Charge Craigsbar more for the next repair, he thinks it's too cheap :D

Jungsi

Today I wanted to configure my SymbOS to use it with X-MASS,
but I'am running in a problem.
When I'am adding it as a new device "IDE device, Master, Primary partition 1" I get this message:
"Error while adding 1 device(s)
Device number: 2
Error Code: 30"
In SymCommander I see this message when choosing "C":
"Disc error (Code 02):
Device not initialized"
What tips do you have? :-)

HAL6128

What's you're ROM Configuration? (Hardware: X-Mem?  & ROMs?)
...proudly supported Schnapps Demo, Pentomino and NQ-Music-Disc with GFX

Jungsi

yes - X-MEM - Standard ROMs - only SymbOS ROM's extra

TotO

Some X-MASS not work because SymbOS don't initialize it.
A patched version released by Prodatron some weeks ago should allow to fix that.

Jungsi

Thanks - now searching for the patched version for the X-MEM ;-)

Prodatron

I did a version for Protek, but I will post it here soon, too, as generating the ROM files is a little bit more complex compared to the "raw" loader version.

GRAPHICAL Z80 MULTITASKING OPERATING SYSTEM

Poliander

Quote from: Jungsi on 18:32, 01 May 15
When I'am adding it as a new device "IDE device, Master, Primary partition 1" I get this message:
"Error while adding 1 device(s)
Device number: 2
Error Code: 30"

I had a similar problem which probably was caused by not plugging the X-MASS properly on the X4 (1 pin row to the left or right). I recommend to double/triple/quadruple check this. Also, I recently decided to remove the 5V power adapter connected to the X4 and use instead a really good >3A power adapter connected to the CPC (instead of the monitor power supply).
Schneider CPC 664 • X-MEM • Vortex F1-X Drive • CTM 644 • DMP 2160
Schneider CPC 6128 • Z-MEM • M4 Board • MultiPlay + Amiga Mouse • OSSC

Prodatron

This is the version I sent to Protek:

http://www.symbos.de/files/temp/symbos-lba.zip

It worked with Proteks DoM, I hope it will do the same with the other DoMs as well?

GRAPHICAL Z80 MULTITASKING OPERATING SYSTEM

TotO

Thank you! :)
I have no doubt, as all the X-MASS dispatched have passed the BASIC tests from a CPC.

protek

I finally got some kind of assurance that my X-Mass is still working. I managed to partition the X-Mass with the BonnyDOS partitioning tool and also to install BonnyDOS on it. Still getting the partition not found error with SymbOS on Prodatron's latest build though, when I've created a FAT partition on the DoM in Windows. Maybe I should also try not feeding power to the X4 as I have the +3 PSU feeding the 6128.

Still a bit mystery, why SymbOS lost the partition in the first place. One possible cause may be my B drive, which has been behaving erratically since the beginning. I found that I had a bad solder joint in the power adapter cable, which was causing disc not found errors all the time.

netmercer

Hello, I had the same problem with X-Mass and SymbOS like Protek and Jungsi.
Now it works fine with Prodatrons released symbos-lba (SymbOS 3.0?). It's charming to start applications from X-Mass very quick and without "tactac..." noise caused by the floppy drive.
Many thanks to Toto and Prodatron  :D

protek

Do I have any other alternatives for creating a proper FAT partition on the DoM than the AcmeDos? I've tried both Windows and Linux based disk management tools to create the partition but can't seem to be able to create one that would be rcognizable by the custom SymbOS build.

In the meantime I've also tried BDos. Does the BDos setup utility actuall format the partition after the partition has been created in the BDos partitioning utility or do I need to format the partition separately before installing? The setup utility appears to install BDos after just creating the partition but it's not bootable.

00WReX

Quote from: protek on 10:32, 05 June 15
Do I have any other alternatives for creating a proper FAT partition on the DoM than the AcmeDos? I've tried both Windows and Linux based disk management tools to create the partition but can't seem to be able to create one that would be rcognizable by the custom SymbOS build.

In the meantime I've also tried BDos. Does the BDos setup utility actuall format the partition after the partition has been created in the BDos partitioning utility or do I need to format the partition separately before installing? The setup utility appears to install BDos after just creating the partition but it's not bootable.

You need to format after creating the partition...

X-Mass help please

On the 'SetupA' disc, run"disce (English).

The initial screen is in German, but once loaded the Menu's are in English.

Select 'Install'.

Select 'Create'.

For a single partition, select 'Maximum' then 'Go'.

The partition is created and then you are asked to create a Supervisor Account.

Select 'Yes' and follow steps (choose user & password).

After partitioning your disk, it must be formatted.

Exit the setup utility.

Reboot the CPC and Enter |LOGIN

Enter your previously configured 'User & password'

Enter |FORMAT

When formatting is completed you can enter a partition/disk name.

Once completed, reboot the CPC.

Now you should be able to access the X-mass with |C (or |D) and 'cat'.
The CPC in Australia...
Awa - CPCWiki

protek

angelcaio

then, I can use the  x-mass under cp/m?

TotO

Actually no. May be in the future...

angelcaio

Thanks. It would be great.